advertisement

Megane RS 275 Trophy

I'm not sure whether after-market mods add or detract value in the UK. In NZ, factory standard cars hold better value.

Yes it's entirely make/model dependent here in the UK.

Certain sporty cars with an extensive aftermarket seem to retain or even add value depending on what work was done to them. Where as modifying a 911 even if well done can turn most buyers off which is fair enough as the car is very well thought out as standard.

Yes it's entirely make/model dependent here in the UK.

Certain sporty cars with an extensive aftermarket seem to retain or even add value depending on what work was done to them. Where as modifying a 911 even if well done can turn most buyers off which is fair enough as the car is very well thought out as standard.
In the States, and California especially, people don’t seem to care too much. Make the 911 yours, however you want, enjoy it.

In the States, and California especially, people don’t seem to care too much. Make the 911 yours, however you want, enjoy it.
Same goes in the UK for cars like the Caterham 7. It's a hobby car, there are so many variables that there's no such thing as "standard" so crack on. You want big brakes? Great . Adjustable suspension? Fine. Both? Crack on. Return to standard? It's your car, bolt the bits on. It's also a simple car so unless you completely bugger it up you can reverse the process and go from all weather country road tourer to stripped out racer and back again, if you want to.

I'm not sure whether after-market mods add or detract value in the UK. In NZ, factory standard cars hold better value.

Yeah, it probably detracts but these are things I'd be doing to a stock one anyway so if I lose a grand or two I'm not going to cry about it. I know of the owner and it was all done under his watch and not totally fanged about. I also wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't over 50 as insurance is obviously a massive issue for the younger ones trying to run these things...

Change of plan, didn't go ahead with the R53 Mini as insuring modified ones is a PiTA on the road even for a 50+ year old...so this half road/half track car thing just isn't going to fly. It's also ultimately unsafe.

But a track modified MX5 turned up with good provenance (I know the builder) and I've snapped it up. Track only car, engines a stock 1.8vvt but with cold air induction, aftermarket header/exhaust, lightened flywheel and coilovers. Most importantly weight savings as this this weighs 900kg without driver and 1/4 tank of fuel (with roll cage/fire system) so plenty of fun with just 150hp of NA power and most importantly ...RWD :)

SBw9uwZ.jpeg

3sIv44M.jpeg

kaf5Vy1.jpeg

yqxJkeu.jpeg

XxXoe8s.jpeg

87Cvzog.jpeg

FBG4sCS.jpeg

Nice. Mk2s are a Cinderella, good choice for track. Not road legal at all then?

No, I decided I can't be bother with the Insurance and MOT jig you'd have to do every year. Also, I can't have an illegal/under-insured car on the road (if an insurance assessor goes digging they'll find something) as for one it's irresponsible and if the worst happens and I get the insurance cover voided I'm totally fooked for my other car.

It'll be stored at track by the guy that runs this Modi-5-Cup races series for £50/month https://www.facebook.com/groups/310965579484372/
He mentioned that this grey car was coming up for sale and I've asked about and she's a 'good one'....£15k gone into the build and you pay less than half that to snap them up. Owners got about four track cars and is the OCD type...

It can be used at open track days at our track, Sprint days and the actual competition stuff that I'll jump in at the deep end this Spring...start with a slow car to match my fading reation times :)

No, I decided I can't be bother with the Insurance and MOT jig you'd have to do every year. Also, I can't have an illegal/under-insured car on the road (if an insurance assessor goes digging they'll find something) as for one it's irresponsible and if the worst happens and I get the insurance cover voided I'm totally fooked for my other car.

It'll be stored at track by the guy that runs this Modi-5-Cup races series for £50/month https://www.facebook.com/groups/310965579484372/
He mentioned that this grey car was coming up for sale and I've asked about and she's a 'good one'....£15k gone into the build and you pay less than half that to snap them up. Owners got about four track cars and is the OCD type...

It can be used at open track days at our track, Sprint days and the actual competition stuff that I'll jump in at the deep end this Spring...
That sounds great fun. £15k build cost though, ouch. Half that buys a bell of a road car though, even these days. But if you want to get into co.petition, that's the way in.

That sounds great fun. £15k build cost though, ouch. Half that buys a bell of a road car though, even these days. But if you want to get into co.petition, that's the way in.

I paid £6k :)
You can buy a £2k base car and put a few thousand into it to get a basic 'runner' but this ones a proper build. Owners just gone as far as he wants in that races serious and gonna focus on another make/build.

I watched some of these cars last summer and that Mk2 1.8vvt engine in a car with 100kg shed is alot of fun...wear rate on tyres and bakes so much lower...basically half a tonne lighter than most hot hatch road cars that now need turbo shove but aren't RWD and don't have that instant NA throttle response.

I watched some of these cars last summer and that Mk2 1.8vvt engine in a car with 100kg shed is alot of fun...wear rate on tyres and bakes so much lower...basically half a tonne lighter than most hot hatch road cars that now need turbo shove but aren't RWD and don't have that instant NA throttle response.
A mate used to do track days at North Weald airfield 20 years with his barely modified Elise. He’d laugh at the mega power, heavy Imprezas etc as they were having yet another set of tyres fitted while he just drove and drove.

That Kirkey seat looks fun, go easy on the kebabs ;)

Have to say the Kirkey seat really impressed me. I had my doubts initially but I was in it for over an hours driving time and zero aches. These are definitely a car you sit 'in' and not 'on'.

ZL9Gyse.jpeg

Have to say the Kirkey seat really impressed me. I had my doubts initially but was in it off and on for over an hour and zero aches. These are definitely a cat you sit 'in' and not 'on'.

ZL9Gyse.jpeg
I’ve never sat in a cat. I’ve sat on one or two, must try in one. ;)

advertisement

Back