advertisement

Megane RS 275 Trophy

andyoz

pfm Member
I think I want one...anyone selling one?

Extra points if it's a Liquid Yellow one :)

Renault-Megane-RS-Trophy-04.jpg

Ooooh... can I talk about my time with a 275 Cup-s? Twas on Ohlins as well. Go on, let me chat about it, pleeeease

Ooooh... can I talk about my time with a 275 Cup-s? Twas on Ohlins as well. Go on, let me chat about it, pleeeease

Yes, I hope you don't put me off too much???

275 Cup S is the other model of that era...many of them were spec'd up to Trophy levels anyway.

Car would be my 'daily' but as I work from home there is no need for a 'daily'. Just need to ferry the odd kid about, scoot around and have some fun on B roads and track LOL.

An AWD Focus does not appeal?

Not really, I want at least some sort of challenge on road and track.
RWD options are few and far between though :( so I just thought Bugger It, I'll go for a 'fun' FWD.

If I wanted AWD, I'd probably up the budget for a GR Yaris as I drove a mates and was pleasantly surprised but it's almost TOO capable.

I'll sell you a 1 owner Focus RS Edition... Which will show that Renault a clean pair of exhaust pipes

Cost is colour dependent:

Orange: Very expensive
Red: Quite expensive
Blue: Good value, but still expensive

I'll sell you a 1 owner Focus RS Edition... Which will show that Renault a clean pair of exhaust pipes

Cost is colour dependent:

Orange: Very expensive
Red: Quite expensive
Blue: Good value, but still expensive

But that's AWD right?
The whole Ford RS space seems to be really overpriced IMO.
Ford lads are worse than Porsche ones :)

But that's AWD right?
The whole Ford RS space seems to be really overpriced IMO.
Ford lads are worse than Porsche ones :)
If FWD is your thing then I also know where there is a Blue mk2 RS Focus. Far better than money in the bank.

Oh really! Fight fight fight!!! Lol.

I reckon a tidy Focus will hold its money , if not go up. I'm a Ford boy at heart, but a well sorted Megane is a force to be reckoned with

Man up and daily the porker :p

Nah, that things going to the Alp this Sept, that sort of special event thing.
I need a totally different vibe, something I can beat on without caring too much.
I'm looking forward to the Yin/Yang of a RWD classic brute and a more modern FWD hot hatch. Different dynamics and a lot different bloody running costs too LOL.

Hyundai i30N are supposed to be pretty decent, think they poached the BMW M dude to develop it.

Yes, was looking at them and they are a modern car with modes. What attracted me to the Megane was it's based on a 2009 design and IMO things started to go downhill in car design after that with all the electronics and bloat :)

Had a drive in my mates 2016 Mini John Cooper Works. I just wanted to try a modern 2.0 Turbo engine.

Well...within the first minute I had to overtake a truck so I naturally dropped it into 2nd (as I do in the GT3) and proceeded to hit the limiter within seconds. I either... 1) don't get driving turbos that top out at 6000 rpm and in reality power delivery is all over by 5000rpm, or 2) need to adjust my driving style LOL.

The Mini was just 'fast' without a huge amount of effort and it bloody had auto rev matching that can't be turned off. I was literally trying to rev match manually on top of the auto rev match and I think I'll find that habit impossible to break...

I haven't driven a Megane yet and not sure I need to to form an opinion...I'm a bit of a dinosaur in the car world I think.

I think I might need a 'revvy' naturally aspirated car instead, not necessarily a fast car, just one that at least requires some effort to wring some speed out of it (or the first gen Superchared R53 Mini Copper S as they sound like they have instant throttle response)

Andy, we had a 2 litre turbo Mini on the fleet at work - I didn't like it at all. But I found Fiesta ST mk 7 and mk8 a complete hoot. They're all petrol turbos but it didn't spoil the drive, for me. I recognise the 3 cylinder mk8 Fiesta as running out of puff by 5k ish, but not the 4 pot Fiesta or the Megane, which was probably the best in terms of engines. I get what you're saying and dare I say you're spoilt if a GT3 is your reference point? Maybe nothing will suffice. As good as I think the Meg is, it's a 4 pot turbo... I cant find the article now but one of the Pistonheads staffers has 275 Cup-s and was raving about it. I think he mentioned a GT3 comparison in his article.

Andy, we had a 2 litre turbo Mini on the fleet at work - I didn't like it at all. But I found Fiesta ST mk 7 and mk8 a complete hoot. They're all petrol turbos but it didn't spoil the drive, for me. I recognise the 3 cylinder mk8 Fiesta as running out of puff by 5k ish, but not the 4 pot Fiesta or the Megane, which was probably the best in terms of engines. I get what you're saying and dare I say you're spoilt if a GT3 is your reference point? Maybe nothing will suffice. As good as I think the Meg is, it's a 4 pot turbo... I cant find the article now but one of the Pistonheads staffers has 275 Cup-s and was raving about it. I think he mentioned a GT3 comparison in his article.

OK, good to hear that the Fiesta and Megane have a bit more life in them.

I should've grabbed one of these when they were peanuts.

106_rallye_022.jpg

advertisement

Back