advertisement

Media player for music

Try JRMC17 on a W7 machine with 'WASAPI Event Style' the evidence will be there. Will also do bit/sample rate changes on the fly.

I can fairly easily put W7 on my machine and transfer the music files. I may try, but can't see that the OS will make much difference. The experts here don't even mention the OS.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dbpoweramp-audioquality.htm

I have a pretty good Soundblaster card in the PC.

IMO, your OS is NOT your problem.

But, if you do decide to 'upgrade' to Win7 (I would not recommend unless you need the extra 'features' etc.) make sure you have Win7 drivers for your Soundblaster card or you may need to upgrade to a latter Audio card.

If I were you I would spend some time organising your Audio files at least placing them under a Directory/Folder named Multimedia/Music (or just Music) so you know where they are.

I use Subdirectories for FLAC, MP3 320, WMA etc. but that's not really necessary, just the way I prefer to organise them.

IMO, your OS is NOT your problem.

But, if you do decide to 'upgrade' to Win7 (I would not recommend unless you need the extra 'features' etc.) make sure you have Win7 drivers for your Soundblaster card or you may need to upgrade to a latter Audio card.

If I were you I would spend some time organising your Audio files at least placing them under a Directory/Folder named Multimedia/Music (or just Music) so you know where they are.

I use Subdirectories for FLAC, MP3 320, WMA etc. but that's not really necessary, just the way I prefer to organise them.

Thanks, I do have the Win 7 drivers for the soundcard as I had W7 on this machine, but did not like W7, went back to XP. You are correct, I really need to organize the many directories with music in, there are many!

I do get very good sound, it's just the various features of the the players. The search for music feature that is on some players puts of the need to reorganize.

Getting to quite like JRiver.

For Linux/mac (macports/fink) users: mplayer passes the bitperfect test with my MDac and it is free. There are several nice GUIs, one of them called kmplayer (for kde).
I could not tell the difference on my mac, when compared to Decibel which was certainly better than iTunes.

Cheers!

For Linux/mac (macports/fink) users: mplayer passes the bitperfect test with my MDac and it is free. There are several nice GUIs, one of them called kmplayer (for kde).
I could not tell the difference on my mac, when compared to Decibel which was certainly better than iTunes.

Cheers!

My Laptop has Win7/ Linux on it, but the sound card will not be anything like as good as in my desktop. I could easily put Linux on the Desktop. Think I tried kmplayer in Windows, did not really like it, was a while back though.

Thanks, I do have the Win 7 drivers for the soundcard as I had W7 on this machine, but did not like W7, went back to XP. You are correct, I really need to organize the many directories with music in, there are many!

I do get very good sound, it's just the various features of the the players. The search for music feature that is on some players puts of the need to reorganize.

Getting to quite like JRiver.

I like to be in control of my files so try to avoid auto setup options.

I also prefer 'audio only' players (I use Media Player Classic for video) but some people prefer Multimedia Players like JRiver.

Each to his own.

I like to be in control of my files so try to avoid auto setup options.

I also prefer 'audio only' players (I use Media Player Classic for video) but some people prefer Multimedia Players like JRiver.

Each to his own.

JRiver is not bad for the audio, but just crashed playing a video! I can see your point.

My Laptop has Win7/ Linux on it, but the sound card will not be anything like as good as in my desktop. I could easily put Linux on the Desktop. Think I tried kmplayer in Windows, did not really like it, was a while back though.

Careful here, there is ANOTHER player called kmplayer (http://www.kmpmedia.net), but this is NOT a frontend for mplayer.

Two programs with the same name. The one that I meant is included as a installable package in most linux distributions or here (http://kmplayer.kde.org).

Cheers!

JRiver is not bad for the audio, but just crashed playing a video! I can see your point.

Best if I don't comment.

Another player worth trying, and free, is XMPlay. http://support.xmplay.com/

I use the Sterling XP skin but there are plenty to choose from.

Foobar is my overall favourite but I use XMPlay sometimes as it fits neatly at the bottom of my screen using the mini option in the Sterling Silver skin which is good when playing on-line radio (Linn, Paradise etc).

advertisement

Back