Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Media player for music

Discussion in 'audio' started by Radfordman, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

For years I liked versions of Winamp, don't like new versions, too heavy and buggy, same sort of thing with MediaMonkey.

This seems quite good, a bit quirky, but soon get used to it, and, I reckon may well sound better than most others. Free too. I have used their converter for years, but only just tried their player

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dbpoweramp.htm

2. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Have you tried JRiver? I did use Winamp and others for a time but IMO this is the best player for Windows.
    Del

3. Plutox

Plutox Registered Abuser

I have to say that (free) Foobar stands up very well indeed, if you're after a simple player with top notch sound quality.

Make sure you use the new WASAPI driver!

4. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

I tried Foobar a while back, was OK, but needed to mess around to configure it.

Think, but not sure that I tried JRiver, so will try again, must say that my music sound good using dBpoweramp Audio Player.

5. Plutox

Plutox Registered Abuser

Anyone who believes that there is such a thing as a computer (i.e. Windows/Linux/Mac) player that will perform at its best without some "messing about to configure it" is probably living in cloud cuckoo land.

You are an audiophile man!

Messing around to configure it is what you are supposed to do! ;)

p.s. you will need to mess around and configure both JRiver and Foobar. "WASAPI event" are the magic words in both cases.

6. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

Just tried JRiver, some nice features, but I reckon that dBpoweramp Audio Player sound better as out of the box.

I'm running XP, so don't think WASAPI applies.

Going to try Foobar again.

7. Plutox

Plutox Registered Abuser

True. It's worth persevering getting "kernel streaming" working - the XP bodge similar to WASAPI. You will need an add on component for this in Foobar, though JRiver supports it directly - look in playback options / audio out.

8. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

Already downloaded "ASIO output support" for Foobar, Foobar sounds similar to Poweramp Audio player, but too much messing with Foobar to get it as I would want it.

Can't find how to search the drives for music in Foobar for one thing.

9. Forget sorting out the Media Player ATM get your OS sorted first, Radfordman!

10. finesensations

finesensations pfm Member

File/Preferences/Media Library/Add

11. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

I'm quite happy with XP pro and Linux, I do have Windows 7 as well but don't like it for several reasons.

12. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

Thanks,tried that but seem to have to manually find the music files. Not all my music files are in the same place.

13. finesensations

Bloody hell!!!!

But, you can add more than one folder/directory.

14. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

lol, they are all over the place, much easier to let the program find them. There is over 10 years of stuff on this hard drive.

15. finesensations

Try going to the highest level e.g C:\

16. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

Thanks, already tried that, did not seem to work.

17. If you have it running on a dedicated PC and are using the media player only what difference can it make. Focus the OS for sound, regardless of operational preference.

18. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

I'm just using one desktop for many things, including sound.

19. OK, thats different, but your main issue is using an OS that's 10-12 years out of date....

20. Radfordman

Radfordman pfm Member

Does that really mean that one cannot get good sound from it? If so, I would like to know the reasons.