advertisement

MDAC Random drop outs

Cjm75

pfm Member
I bought a brand new MDAC and Marantz CD 6005 player at the end of last year. I listen to a lot of CD's and am experiencing a rather annoying, and hard to track down issue.

When I start listening to a CD over coax to the MDAC i get a drop out (for a fraction of second) This always happens in the first 30 seconds of the CD and always track 1, it is not tied to any particular album (has happened with loads of different albums), If i rewind the track and play again from the start it does not happen on any subsequent plays of track 1.

I have tried changing some settings on the MDAC, like jitter correction and D3E, but cant get rid of it.

Any ideas anyone, I was going to try bypassing the MDAC for a while to see if it continues, but is very intermittant.

I would like to find out if this is a known issue, it is doing my nut in!

I had considered a Firmware upgrade on the MDAC,but think this may void my warranty, and am not even sure if this will resolve the issue.

Marantz CD6005 > MDAC > Audiolab 8000s > Audiolab 8200p > Kef 104/2's

Cjm75,

I'm going to hazard a guess that your Marantz CD6005 disables its SPDIF output when its stopped (the MDAC displays "Unlock").

If this is the case then the MDAC is occasionally Relocking during initial capture for a more stable lock - sadly there's nothing I can do about it - although the MDAC2 will not have this problem.

I different CD transport / player will solve the problem (one that does not play about with its SPDIF output).

John,

Been watching the MDAC over the past few days and the Marantz doesnt drop the spdif when I stop play, I have noticed unlocked appearing briefly a few times when i put a new CD in and start play. It appears this is where the issue is coming from, although I have never managed to spot the display when the dropout occurs to see if it unlocks, but im pretty sure it is dropping the SPDIF connection.

Im going to replace the crappy screw on phono plugs on my SPDIF cable for solder on types, and try and get another cd player to try to see if the issue goes away.

Is 75ohm coax cable the best type to use for the MDAC, im using Shark 75ohm cable?

Thanks for your advice again John.

It is not a huge issue, just rather annoying with a brand new £600 dac and £300 CD player :(

advertisement

Back