advertisement

MDAC Level I & II upgrade package - Notification of Waiting List Updates

JohnW

pfm member
To prevent the Main MDAC becoming cluttered with the mundane processing of the MDAC upgrades – I’ve started this thread.

Thank you for everyone who’s expressed interest in the MDAC upgrades. Currently I’m offering two versions of the upgrade package.

Level 1: MDAC internal PSU section upgrade (this upgrades 6 of the PSU supply rails around the ESS DAC, reducing modulation spurie by up to x1000 (40dB) around the ESS DAC) £200 + shipping

Level 2: Fully upgrade package includes a rebuild (redesign) of the CROSS analogue stage, over 56 components changed in the Analogue section + the above PSU upgrades. £350 + shipping

I'm based in Czech Rep., return shipping to the UK is around GBP27 – most other counties in mainland EU tend to be a little cheaper. Please only ship the MDAC unit itself (don’t ship the PSU adaptor or the remote handset as these just add weight and could be accidentally misplaced).

If you are considering sending your unit, then please try and ship in the ORIGINAL AUDIOLAB packaging, as a couple of units sent to me recently where very badly packaged although luckily relatively undamaged once I spent considerable time "restoring" the units - however be warned that I do not have spare mechanical items.

Again, please only ship the MDAC unit itself (don’t ship the PSU adaptor or the remote handset as these just add weight (increasing shipping costs) and could be accidentally misplaced).

By modifying your unit I will be voiding the Audiolab original warranty we therefore assume the original warranty obligations (and conditions) with a *Lifetime warranty subject to the following additional conditions:-

The *Lifetime warranty applies for as long as we are able to reasonably obtain any necessary replacement components.

• *Lifetime warranty on the upgraded MDAC Excluding* lifetime limited components such as capacitors and the OLED display etc.

*Excluded after two years from original purchase date (So ALL components are covered within the original two year warranty period).

Any “Lifetime limited” components that require replacement two years after the original purchase date will be replaced at cost (the owner covers shipping and applicable component costs, we cover the balance, i.e. servicing, non “lifetime” component failure costs and our handling etc).

• Mechanical parts are not covered under the warranty – we have limited access to replacement mechanical parts – so PLEASE insure your MDAC is suitably packed and protected before shipping as we will be unable to repair any physical damage incurred during shipping – we CANNOT be responsible for any damage incurred during shipping.

• Your DAC will be returned to you in the same packaging you originally forwarded it too us – so please consider the packaging needs to be significantly robust for the return shipping.

• Warranty shipping costs at owner’s expense.

• The Warranty is transferable (the warranty covers the unit irrespective of ownership).

At this time, the offer is only open to customers within the EU due to Customs import and export complications.

If your unit is updated, then it’s a "simple" DIY job to add the new PSU card to MDAC as part of the MPAX upgrade (if it happens which depends on its “value for money” compared to the BDAC).

Both upgrade options include a GBP50 discount on the MPAX package (IF the MPAX makes it into production).

If your unit has a known fault (such as a sticky relay), unable to update firmware etc - then please let me know and I will undertake to fault find and repair the unit inclusive to the upgrade cost (repaired for Free) – please remind me by attaching a note to your unit.

I will endeavour to modify your MDAC within 3 working days upon receipt of your unit.

The first 10 on the MDAC upgrade interest list:-

Arthur

Plutox (I can return your unit to you at Munich)

MartinDurham

Joker_Hartmann

realysm42

simonom

mark.king

Yanntoe (Ian)

WAD62

Wil_Wheaton

Please PM me here on PFM to confirmation and for our shipping address and PayPal or bank wire details.

If the time is not convenient. Then I’ll hold your position open – just PM me :)

Thank you once again for your interest,

John

Due to the number of requests, I've developed a method to add a "Mickey Mouse" AV bypass option to the MDAC that will not effect the sound quality of the MDAC's outputs.

It would involve adding a pair of additional RCA connectors on the MDACs rear panel (these would be drilled by hand, while I'll try my very best - so please don't be disappointed if they are not 100% perfect).

When the MDAC is powered off, an internal pair of relays will route the AV input to the MDAC's outputs.

The RCA input bypass will work with both RCA and XLR outputs, but the XLR will be -6dB in level.

Messing about adding the RCA's and internal relays takes time - so I'd have to ask an extra GBP50 for the option on top of the upgrade cost...

Its a little Mickey mouse (added the RCA's to the MDAC's rear panel), but will not effect the MDAC's SQ and you have a simple AV bypass option.

This thread is 'stuck' as it will be an on-going list to notify those who have booked an upgrade of when to send their unit.

advertisement

Back