advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure if the data is preserved Bit Accurate? (It does not appear to be an ASRC type "reclocking" which is a good thing).

A second concern is that typically DDS type clock generation results in poor LF jitter performance - DDS Clock Gens, reduce HF jitter (and have good clock accuracy with long term integration), but "Can" introduce higher levels of LF jitter within the audio BW...

In a studio environment where Jitter levels can multiply - any jitter attenuation is worthwhile - in a domestic environment one would hope that Jitter levels would not be so disastrous.

I wonder if it would help smooth out the troublesome Apple Airport Express frequency hops...?

John have you just updated the link in your signature? Im sure I just tried it...mind you after the Sat night ive just had , who knows :)

Best sound IMO V0.90 (but its buggy and lacks features) - otherwise V0.96 or A0.08 and A0.10 depending upon your systems sound balance.

Regarding the mdac used as a pre with XLR outs, it's brings forward lots of detail into the mix I have not heard before but lacks dynamics, bass is weak and drums do not punch through the mix. Maybe what I am hearing is accurate audio but it is not fun to listen too.
If the two could be brought together that would be just perfect!

I've not heard the Creek Destiny 2, but as it has a Passive pre-amplifier all the gain is produced by the power-amplifier section, this suggests it will have very sensitive inputs - not an ideal match for the MDAC output (you will need to dial in a lot of digital attenuation)

The Creek has 33db of gain in passive mode. So you'll need to burn off about half of that to run the Mdac between 0 and -10db. No biggy just use that volume control...
Well, I wrote about the attenuation "problem", but I don't know - I mostly listen to well recorded classical/modern music with lot of dynamic (BIS/Denon/Telarc and so on) and with those I normally dial -24 to -16db when going straight to the power amp without pre and live-like sound level. More compressed recordings and quiet evening listening means -40 to -24db.
I now changed temporarily to pre input, power knob at 12 o'clock and then -6 to 0db without pre is right, but I didn't notice any big changes.

Doesn't seem as if I'm losing any bits with Direct In. Even with 24/96 recordings I calculate that I have 8 bits = 8*6db = 48db to reduce before anything is lost, or is there something wrong with the calculation?

sq, is that what you meant with "you'll need to burn off about half of that" - half of level is only 6dB difference, why should that be a problem? Or do you mean "12 o clock", what seems to be about 18db? Still not so much...

Generally, what are the advantages of less sensitivity or balanced connection if there is no loss of information at -24 to -16db digital attenuation?

Asphaltradler

So what would I need? Perhaps you could give me the values for about 20 and 30 dB attenuation.

Hello fusion5,

congratulations! The Deltas must be amazing.

With my Adams I have the same gain problem too.
When I reduce the input gain directly on the terminal for -10dB, I always thought that I´m loosing something in the midrange.
That´s why I´m also looking for attenuators (-20dB or -30dB).

By searching the web, I found this: http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html
Has anybody tested these attenuators from "rothwell audio" yet?

May be this is a ready assembeld option for us.
DIY soldering would be no problem, but using 10 bulk foil resistors (for XLR) would be also expensive, or?

Canford also sell a range of inline attenuators - see here. If you were to use JRiver Media Center you would also have the option of using JRivers own 64 bit dithered volume control and running your DAC/PRE straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back