advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for the few people that use Ubuntu with MDAC. I've created a fully automatic tool that downloads, patches and rebuilds the kernel on 13.04 (at least) so that the known MDAC issues are fixed. This includes the older 24/96k buffer flushing bug that was present on some chipsets.

I've been trying to make the tool as small and non-intrusive as possible, which is where my entire evening went. Then I discovered (a few hours ago) that Ubuntu compiles the ehci-hcd driver into the kernel image, so an external "fixed" module cannot be used.

Since a full kernel rebuild was necessary at that point anyway, I just went the simple and well documented way of rebuilding kernels on Ubuntu, adding a patching step where appropriate.

All the details and "how to use" are in a README file, along with the rest of the code, on Github.

I've also added a note to the MDAC wiki @ wikkii.

Obviously, it's not a perfect solution, but as a temporary workaround, it should be fine.

I personally don't use Ubuntu, so this one is just for you. :)
(eg. report bugs, since I'm unlikely to spot them)

Jiri

edit: yes, as written in the README, it takes about 10GB of disk space (temporarily) and a few hours (overnight on weak Atom processors) to compile the ultrahuge kernel that Ubuntu ships, unless you have something better to do, you can stare at the compilation process ... adding a green font and a fullscreen terminal, along with dark room, might add more "coolness" :D

You have to enter the BitPerfect test option in the menu, then press the knob - this will return you to the main screen + Awaiting trigger.

When "Awaiting trigger" then and only then replay the test file.

i've entered the bitperfect test menu, and press the knob vol control, "awaiting trigger" just didnt appear. its says " replay test file". does it means its OK or else?

Only the relay and headphone connector - the rear panel RCA's also have a shorter signal path then the front panel HP jack.

Hmm must be the relay or perhaps the extra distance being affected by emi/rfi. Its amazing how influenced the signal is from simple things.
Thanks john

i've entered the bitperfect test menu, and press the knob vol control, "awaiting trigger" just didnt appear. its says " replay test file". does it means its OK or else?

OK - so with the later software Dominik has changed the message to "replay test file" in place of "awaiting trigger" of the earlier software.

So when you have the message displayed you can then start to replay the test file... MDAC should then indicate "Passing Test" or some such displayed on the screen if all is well... it should remain displayed until you stop the test or completion of the test file.

Good news for the few people that use Ubuntu with MDAC. I've created a fully automatic tool that downloads, patches and rebuilds the kernel on 13.04 (at least) so that the known MDAC issues are fixed. This includes the older 24/96k buffer flushing bug that was present on some chipsets.

I've been trying to make the tool as small and non-intrusive as possible, which is where my entire evening went. Then I discovered (a few hours ago) that Ubuntu compiles the ehci-hcd driver into the kernel image, so an external "fixed" module cannot be used.

Since a full kernel rebuild was necessary at that point anyway, I just went the simple and well documented way of rebuilding kernels on Ubuntu, adding a patching step where appropriate.

All the details and "how to use" are in a README file, along with the rest of the code, on Github.

I've also added a note to the MDAC wiki @ wikkii.

Obviously, it's not a perfect solution, but as a temporary workaround, it should be fine.

I personally don't use Ubuntu, so this one is just for you. :)
(eg. report bugs, since I'm unlikely to spot them)

Jiri

edit: yes, as written in the README, it takes about 10GB of disk space (temporarily) and a few hours (overnight on weak Atom processors) to compile the ultrahuge kernel that Ubuntu ships, unless you have something better to do, you can stare at the compilation process ... adding a green font and a fullscreen terminal, along with dark room, might add more "coolness" :D

Jiri,

Thank you so much for all your effort :)

5:54am?

Blimey john either you've been partying or burning the midnight oil on the new Lake west products.

Is there a MDAC Level 2.1 update coming up or do I get it incorrectly?

No that's not the idea...

For the earlier units I upgraded I used components (Resistors in this case) from my stock - once these "old Stock" resistors had been depleted I ordered replacements and these effected the SQ in a negative way - I've not shipped units as I'm waiting to find a suitable replacement that's atleast as good as my L2MDAC Reference unit.

Hi John,

Two good things have happend this week, I've got new job and you've said you'll be able to make the AV bypass selectable from the menu!

I know the upgrade list is huge, but I don't mind waiting. Can you put me down for an L2 upgrade with AV bypass?

I've found the original box too for shipping :)

What's the current wait?

Ben

Hi John, just checking you saw this request to be added to the list, I posted a few days ago?

Cheers,

Ben

Will the sticky thread http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=136892 be continued?
And again the proposal to publish the whole list in correct order so that everyone can see how long it will be, roughly.

Good luck with the new resistors BTW!

Yes, I'll continue with the sticky thread... I tried before but with very little traffic.

I'm not sure if I should publish the list as many owners have contacted me via private PM...

Maybe each time you update the sticky post something here saying you have updated it?
Keeps noise here down, and any requests etc can be directed to the sticky.

JohanH,

Your unit arrived today - are you aware that your unit is set to the Sharp Rolloff filter? This is one of the worst sounding filters - and does indeed sound fatiguing - I cannot listen to it for more then 5 minutes without feeling the need to torture a poor cuddly Kitten...

A.10 Software, Sharp Roll Off & D3E set to "Leave unmodified" are not settings that I'd consider would give the smoothest sound... So I'm wondering if you will ever like the sound of the L2MDAC upgrade as your apparent "Preferred settings" are very different to the direction of the upgraded SQ :( the Fast Filter is just horrid.... Here Kitty Kitty....

Obviously, I hope I'm mistaken...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back