1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC first listen (part XXII)

Discussion in 'audio' started by JTC, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jirij

jirij Virtual Member

Good news for the few people that use Ubuntu with MDAC. I've created a fully automatic tool that downloads, patches and rebuilds the kernel on 13.04 (at least) so that the known MDAC issues are fixed. This includes the older 24/96k buffer flushing bug that was present on some chipsets.

I've been trying to make the tool as small and non-intrusive as possible, which is where my entire evening went. Then I discovered (a few hours ago) that Ubuntu compiles the ehci-hcd driver into the kernel image, so an external "fixed" module cannot be used.

Since a full kernel rebuild was necessary at that point anyway, I just went the simple and well documented way of rebuilding kernels on Ubuntu, adding a patching step where appropriate.

All the details and "how to use" are in a README file, along with the rest of the code, on Github.

I've also added a note to the MDAC wiki @ wikkii.

Obviously, it's not a perfect solution, but as a temporary workaround, it should be fine.

I personally don't use Ubuntu, so this one is just for you. :)
    (eg. report bugs, since I'm unlikely to spot them)

Jiri

edit: yes, as written in the README, it takes about 10GB of disk space (temporarily) and a few hours (overnight on weak Atom processors) to compile the ultrahuge kernel that Ubuntu ships, unless you have something better to do, you can stare at the compilation process ... adding a green font and a fullscreen terminal, along with dark room, might add more "coolness" :D

2. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

All hail, nice work Jiri.

3. rechtkid

rechtkid New Member

i've entered the bitperfect test menu, and press the knob vol control, "awaiting trigger" just didnt appear. its says " replay test file". does it means its OK or else?

4. DANOFDANGER

DANOFDANGER pfm Member

Hmm must be the relay or perhaps the extra distance being affected by emi/rfi. Its amazing how influenced the signal is from simple things.
    Thanks john

5. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

OK - so with the later software Dominik has changed the message to "replay test file" in place of "awaiting trigger" of the earlier software.

So when you have the message displayed you can then start to replay the test file... MDAC should then indicate "Passing Test" or some such displayed on the screen if all is well... it should remain displayed until you stop the test or completion of the test file.

6. JohnW

Jiri,

Thank you so much for all your effort :)

7. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

5:54am?

Blimey john either you've been partying or burning the midnight oil on the new Lake west products.

8. fusion5

fusion5 on the dark side of hifi...

I'd bet he's building something out of all the MDACs to take over the world.

9. wintoid

wintoid pfm Member

A death star

10. JohnW

Resistors arrived yesterday :), so back rolling...

About to listen...

11. Sober

Sober pfm Member

Is there a MDAC Level 2.1 update coming up or do I get it incorrectly?

12. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

My guess is the new resistors have to be listened to against the L2.0 reference.

13. JohnW

No that's not the idea...

For the earlier units I upgraded I used components (Resistors in this case) from my stock - once these "old Stock" resistors had been depleted I ordered replacements and these effected the SQ in a negative way - I've not shipped units as I'm waiting to find a suitable replacement that's atleast as good as my L2MDAC Reference unit.

14. desp_erado

desp_erado MDAC fan

Hi John, just checking you saw this request to be added to the list, I posted a few days ago?

Cheers,

Ben

15. JohnW

Hi Ben,

I'd added you to the list, thank you - sorry I'd not replied I've been busy with upgrades issues...

16. Asphaltradler

Asphaltradler pfm Member

17. desp_erado

desp_erado MDAC fan

Hi John,

Thanks muchly, no worries at all!

Ben

18. JohnW

Yes, I'll continue with the sticky thread... I tried before but with very little traffic.

I'm not sure if I should publish the list as many owners have contacted me via private PM...

19. sam_cat

sam_cat ᶜ ᶦˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᶜᵒᵒᵏᶦᵉ

Maybe each time you update the sticky post something here saying you have updated it?
    Keeps noise here down, and any requests etc can be directed to the sticky.

20. JohnW

JohanH,

Your unit arrived today - are you aware that your unit is set to the Sharp Rolloff filter? This is one of the worst sounding filters - and does indeed sound fatiguing - I cannot listen to it for more then 5 minutes without feeling the need to torture a poor cuddly Kitten...

A.10 Software, Sharp Roll Off & D3E set to "Leave unmodified" are not settings that I'd consider would give the smoothest sound... So I'm wondering if you will ever like the sound of the L2MDAC upgrade as your apparent "Preferred settings" are very different to the direction of the upgraded SQ :( the Fast Filter is just horrid.... Here Kitty Kitty....

Obviously, I hope I'm mistaken...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.