advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just wan't to beat http://www.avsforum.com/t/1314884/8x-18-lms-ultra-5400s-in-4-sealed-enclosures

i might start a new thread for this, I really hope my ecomony will allow for this madness ...

Please, do
+1 to both sentiments :)

Wikipedia:
Noise-induced neurologic disturbances in humans exposed to continuous low frequency tones for durations longer than 15 minutes has involved in some cases the development of immediate and long term problems affecting brain tissue. The symptoms resembled those of individuals who had suffered minor head injuries. One theory for a causal mechanism is that the prolonged sound exposure resulted in enough mechanical strain to brain tissue to induce an encephalopathy.
I also seem to remember the US DoD testing an infrasonic weapon that worked by oscillation of the stomach.

Anyway this is thread is about HiFi music reproduction not earth quake vibrators.

+1 to both sentiments :)

Wikipedia:
Noise-induced neurologic disturbances in humans exposed to continuous low frequency tones for durations longer than 15 minutes has involved in some cases the development of immediate and long term problems affecting brain tissue. The symptoms resembled those of individuals who had suffered minor head injuries. One theory for a causal mechanism is that the prolonged sound exposure resulted in enough mechanical strain to brain tissue to induce an encephalopathy.
I also seem to remember the US DoD testing an infrasonic weapon that worked by oscillation of the stomach.

Anyway this is thread is about HiFi music reproduction not earth quake vibrators.

Haha, this may already have happened.....

You'll have to ask john what the roll off is below 20hz, I'd imagine it's quite steep at least 20db an octave if not steeper.
is there a difference in frequency responce between a upgraded(analog stage) and none upgraded mdac? many have reported imporoved bass but is this measureable or is it just due to room accustic changes such as relocation of speakers or changes in listening position?

is there a difference in frequency responce between a upgraded(analog stage) and none upgraded mdac? many have reported imporoved bass but is this measureable or is it just due to room accustic changes such as relocation of speakers or changes in listening position?

Nothing measurable at the low end - HF is more extended.... (IIRC the Analogue stages -3dB is now extended to 220KHz or so).

Tell me who in this house know about the quake? (We do)
I mean really, really
If you know how to rock say, “Yeah” (Yeah)
If you know how to party say, “Oh yeah” (Oh yeah)
But if you ain't hip to the rare house quake
Shut up already, damn

Had to listen to it, immediately. Damn.

I didn't move anything in my room, the bass is just better, tighter, righter.

Many years ago I installed the "bingo" board in my Linn Aktiv, this extended the bass response of my active Isobariks down by about an octave. The first thing I noticed was greater midrange clarity and detail, but the mod didn't affect those frequencies at all. At that point I realised that hearing is a very strange sense!

Many years ago I installed the "bingo" board in my Linn Aktiv, this extended the bass response of my active Isobariks down by about an octave. The first thing I noticed was greater midrange clarity and detail, but the mod didn't affect those frequencies at all. At that point I realised that hearing is a very strange sense!

As I've missed the weekend shipping, I'm just working on your Unit :) + JohanH & WAD62... all units will now be shipped on Monday.

WAD62 - what is the history of your unit - did you buy it as a new unit? I ask as its been badly reworked at some stage (Which could explain the damaged PSU circuit with the subsequent capacitor damage)...

As I've missed the weekend shipping, I'm just working on your Unit :) + JohanH & WDA62... all units will now be shipped on Monday.

WAD62 - what is the history of your unit - did you buy it as a new unit? I ask as its been badly reworked at some stage (Which could explain the damaged PSU with the subsequent capacitor damage)...

Wow, can't wait (but will have to).
Really looking forward to having the MDAC back; current one is ok but just not up to it.

Thanks for the update

Cheers,
Johan

I didn't move anything in my room, the bass is just better, tighter, righter.
this could also be some weird psyco acuostic effect similar to that flac appears to have deeper bass than mp3 which is due to changes in the higher frequencies.

or it's simply due to diferent output impedence.

Me, too. (I confess to behaving like a child of late regarding this thread: are we nearly there yet/any news?)

Well, your DAC was the next on the pile - so as you asked :) I'll include your unit is the batch - make a round number of 10 to ship out on Monday.

I'll only have 7 units left here (3 with AV bypass which will take a little longer) - so this weekend I'll send out the next batch of invitations as it takes about a week for units to arrive to us in CZ - in fact it might mean for a short while atleast we will have no customers MDAC's here - they have become part of our family!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back