advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamjar784

Heavy Up
Over the past week I've worked though the first MDAC upgrade and most are on there way over to us now :)

I'd like to get all units upgraded and shipped from Czech before the Munich show as we will loose a week while we attend the show.

Below is an invitation for the next 10 :) on the upgrade list (the last batch of upgrades this side of the Munich show).

EIffel

Alan Brown

therixonator (James)

@home

Ian M

jamjar784

amershamman (Chris)

jirij

mnewbould

00fiete Christian

If your on the list and its convenient to arrange the upgrade at this time then, Pls. PM me here on PFM - thank you :)

PM sent - possibly twice :confused:

cstanpfm, mavwong,

I'll discuss with Audiolab / IAG during the Munich show to see if we can arrange new units for upgrade.

They can be shipped direct from Czech Rep. to you, but you would have to pay the import Duty + Tax etc...

Any warranty issues however, the MDAC's would need to be returned to Czech rep. at your expense for service - although we would thoroughly test the units for a week or so before despatching to you to reduce the possibility of the known MDAC issues such as the sticky relays or weak Crystals…
John
I might be interested in this as well depending on the total price.
Ian

Hi John,

I will also be interested in such an arrangement (i.e. buying upgraded new units).

Also, have sent you PM :)

Best,
Leon

cstanpfm, mavwong,

I'll discuss with Audiolab / IAG during the Munich show to see if we can arrange new units for upgrade.

They can be shipped direct from Czech Rep. to you, but you would have to pay the import Duty + Tax etc...

Any warranty issues however, the MDAC's would need to be returned to Czech rep. at your expense for service - although we would thoroughly test the units for a week or so before despatching to you to reduce the possibility of the known MDAC issues such as the sticky relays or weak Crystals…

Sorry maybe a misunderstanding here - I thought we where talking about whole new unit...

If yuo where thinking to just ship you MDAC's Mainboard, I'm not sure how practical that would be for you... The MDAC's Mainboard would require protection with an ESD bag (the type supplied protecting a PC motherboard would do)... and the Mainboard would need to be well packed so its not damaged during shipping....

Hi John, sorry, I misunderstood the arrangement.

Still interested in the new unit. :D

Hi John W,
I was rather hanging out, hoping for a TDAC, being a committed DSD convert, but I understand that all of the 25 you can make are all well and truly spoken for. I assume there is no possibility of further production using semi-conductors rather than the rocket valves? Or any other solution?
If there is still any possibility I would like to be on the TDAC list.
I think you mentioned somewhere that the TDAC is some way off yet, so in the meantime, could I have my MDAC added to the list for level 2 upgrade?
Many thanks for some excellent products.

My new unit is working well and sounding good; however, it seems very susceptible to electronic interference e.g. engaging some light switches or appliances on different circuits will cause a very brief dropout, and even more surprising, the static electricity generated by removing a record from or placing one on my turntable while the mdac is playing will also cause momentary dropouts. Is there any way of isolating the mdac to make it less prone to interference?

If putting a record on your deck makes your mdac play-up you have bigger issues with your hifi than a wobbly Mdac. Are you based in the UK?

My new unit is working well and sounding good; however, it seems very susceptible to electronic interference e.g. engaging some light switches or appliances on different circuits will cause a very brief dropout, and even more surprising, the static electricity generated by removing a record from or placing one on my turntable while the mdac is playing will also cause momentary dropouts. Is there any way of isolating the mdac to make it less prone to interference?

Are you using USB or SPDIF? If SPDIF then it could be a poorly screened Coax cable - also poor system mains earthing.

I get dropouts with SPDIF when I use the RCA to RCA pieces of string audio cables supplied with "Tesco" type products - but OK with a decent Coax cable.

Are you sure it's an electronic effect? Are the connections at the back loose? On my MDAC coax1 and coax2 seem a bit loose and jiggling the cables causes dropouts. If yours are very loose then any small movement could cause it.

- Richard.

It would be nice to hear impressions of modified M-DACs (latest John's upgrade). Is the first upgraded units already arrived back to lucky ones? :)

It would be nice to hear impressions of modified M-DACs (latest John's upgrade). Is the first upgraded units already arrived back to lucky ones? :)

Sadly not, the first batches of units well be shipped out towards the end of next week - we have experienced delays in component delivery.

I'm currently modifying the units as afar as I can without the missing components.

Also, there might be a delay in processing any further units as PayPal has frozen our account for unspecified reasons - I can only guess that they became concerned about the sudden influx of funds into a newly opened account based in China of all places.

Unfortunately it’s proving very hard to explain to PayPal that we are providing a service and are not selling any "Goods or stock" they have asked us to prove that we own the items we are selling.... We don’t own the MDAC’s we are just providing an upgrade service – not something the Chinese speaking operator can comprehend – Upgrade? why? it would seems that providing “a service” is not in their vocabulary….

To add to the complications the account has been opened in Dominik's name based in China – and we are trying to deal with Chinese speaking operators about a “complex operating structure” involving China / Czech Rep… sadly I feel, that if it does not follow their “standard” procedure we will hit a dead end very fast!

PayPal also require “proof of delivery / dispatch” to match the PayPal account details… Obviously I'm upgrading and despatching units from Czech Rep. and not China!

So this has left us with the significant cost burden of component kits I've ordered based upon the pre-order interest list – plus the fact that we have about 14 units on the way to me (or already safely arrived) for upgrade.

Obviously I'll still upgrade these units even if I cannot access the payments that have been already forwarded to us, and then I'll also have to pay the return shipping cost out of my own pocket…. What a way to throw a spanner into the works!

Reading up on the internet and there are pages upon pages of people in a similar situation with PayPal – with little hope of a resolution in the foreseeable future I fear…

So at the moment we are unable to process any new MDAC upgrades as we have no method to receive payment - not that we can access the payments we have already received :( I'm sure PayPal enjoy the interest they accumulate on all these held funds...

I just hope you have had a better day then Dominik and I - today's been ruff on many levels..

Why not allow bank transfers from any pfmer with at least, say 100 posts and membership for at least six months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back