advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello today i have seen a new firmware ( i have a mac mini 2012) i have downloaded it....and crackling again !... Like before ( when i bought my mdac sound was crakling and it was fixed using v0.99)
So i try to reinstal vo.99 and it still crackling...why ? Before it was working perfecly ? I coudn't listen music or watch movies actualy because all my systeme is on mdac!
I try different update with mac or window' but since i have tryed firmware v10 nothing work !.it's crakling all time!
Sorry for mistakes and thank you fo reading.

John,

Update on my 'freezing' MDAC issue. As I told before, I replaced version a.10 with v0.90, after which my MDAC froze again, immediately upon start. Thing is that my MDAC was initially shipped with version 0.99. Today I reinstalled v0.99 and the MDAC works without any problems. Then I reinstalled 0.90 again and it freezes again. Also with a0.4 and up.
It looks like it simply freezes up on any other version than its original version, although according to me it did work for some days with v0.9. Not sure anymore though... I do have one of the latest MDAC's that's shipped. Any idea with these new thoughts?
Update on update:
Got v.0.99 installed, when I turn off my MDAC and turn it on again while pressing the volume control, the MDAC shows the voltage. Pressing the volume button again shows the 'lake west' logo, which assumes that lake west software is installed, while mainboard/control versions are v0.97/0.99. It appears like the a.xx versions leave something in memory, which may also cause that all lakewest versions do not work properly anymore. ...

Can I just confirm that you have V0.97/0.99 and you have the Lake-West logo? REALLY????

Hello today i have seen a new firmware ( i have a mac mini 2012) i have downloaded it....and crackling again !... Like before ( when i bought my mdac sound was crakling and it was fixed using v0.99)
So i try to reinstal vo.99 and it still crackling...why ? Before it was working perfecly ? I coudn't listen music or watch movies actualy because all my systeme is on mdac!
I try different update with mac or window' but since i have tryed firmware v10 nothing work !.it's crakling all time!
Sorry for mistakes and thank you fo reading.

If your using Optical or SPDIF inputs - have you set Jitter Rejection to High Bandwidth?

If USB, and your using the MAC then we recommend A0.8

I will be (virtually?) killed for this, regarding project loads etc. However, just to express my very own needs, a suggestion:

- a high quality DAC with pre-amp function
- asym USB and optical, even not user selectable (the one with the signal gets selected)
- balanced and RCA out
- no display
- no filters or very few (somehow LED indicators? would prefer without; or user upgradable for hard core types...)
- headphone out

possibly:

- internal power adapter - if it can be done without too much interference :-(
- low depth enclosure (think minimal book shelf, i.e. 16cm leaving some cabling space)

Basically a "headphone DAC", but with regulated levels = pre-amp section (think stripped down MDAC). The perfect use scenario (speaking for myself) would be single a source digital => active speakers chain (or digital => MIMP => speakers).

Just dreaming here ... But I've surveyed the market, and either there is no regulated out or very headphone centric, or/and the quality doesn't cut it. So something which just drives a pair of Adams or other active speakers (which seems to become fashionable!), or a nice power amp from a computer/AE/ATV/streamer ...

Food for thought? But MIMPs first, please ;-)

Michael.

We have a design in the works - to be released at Munich

Can I just confirm that you have V0.97/0.99 and you have the Lake-West logo? REALLY????
Definitely true John...If I, upon booting, press the volume button, the MDAC shows the voltage and v0.97/0.99. When I press the volume button again, the lake.west logo is displayed. I recorded it, see video: http://tinypic.com/r/5wi6a1/6

And update: after a few hours of running perfectly, it suddenly doesn't respond anymore to any remote command or button on the mdac itself, so... Back to where I was. John...what can I do?

Thank you again ... With a0.8 it work perfectly....
Sorry to have to make you repeat again that you must have say many times .
I triyed to read the 15 last pages... But a little bit difficult for me .....
In short thank you ...promise i will read a lot before changing my firmware :)

Sorry guys, can't find it in these long threads anymore ... How do you change the input name ondisplay and save it? It's not in the wiki either :s

Definitely true John...If I, upon booting, press the volume button, the MDAC shows the voltage and v0.97/0.99. When I press the volume button again, the lake.west logo is displayed. I recorded it, see video: http://tinypic.com/r/5wi6a1/6

And update: after a few hours of running perfectly, it suddenly doesn't respond anymore to any remote command or button on the mdac itself, so... Back to where I was. John...what can I do?

OH - yes, it only displays the Lake-West when exiting the Revision "Menu" on power-up. Normally you would not see the Lake-west logo.

I've forward you my address in here in Czech - I can take a look at your unit as long as you cover the shipping costs.

John

OH - yes, it only displays the Lake-West when exiting the Revision "Menu" on power-up. Normally you would not see the Lake-west logo.

I've forward you my address in here in Czech - I can take a look at your unit as long as you cover the shipping costs.

John
Hi John, thank you so much. Could you tell will I need to pay shipping costs to Czech or also from Czech back to The Netherlands?

Good night for now,
R

Wavelab, which I know well, is entirely unsuitable as a player - it is high end audio editing and manipulation software. It only supports Windows direct sound (i.e. via the kernel mixer) or ASIO, which in turn requires your audio playback hardware maker to supply ASIO drivers.

To use Wavelab as a domestic music player is rather like using a farm tractor to go on a 500km motorway drive.

The last sentence is a good metaphor :cool:, AFAIK, those audio editing software handle "sound tracks", so the best way to use them is to compress the tracks ripped from a cd to a single wave file using foobar, and then input the file as a single "sound track" to play in Wavelab. The point is if there is really mileage doing so, still someone will hope to climb the Everest even that risks their life. :)

Until you try it for yourself- what do you have to lose, just think how much simpler your life might become. I thought i could hear all sorts of differences between cables and software, I surprised myself to find out that i couldn't. And make a packet selling all my foo for studio wire in the process...

I mean no offence but just interested to know if you get really no difference at least for different speaker cables, or the cables between the mdac and the amp? Of which I find quite hard to believe IMHO. :)

<snip> Update on update:
Got v.0.99 installed, when I turn off my MDAC and turn it on again while pressing the volume control, the MDAC shows the voltage. Pressing the volume button again shows the 'lake west' logo, which assumes that lake west software is installed, while mainboard/control versions are v0.97/0.99. It appears like the a.xx versions leave something in memory, which may also cause that all lakewest versions do not work properly anymore. ...
Sorry if I missed it, but did you already try the factory reset, on the off-chance that there may be an issue as described above? (Hold both SEL buttons down when turning it on) (regardless of the LakeWest logo as already explained by John)

I don't know if it will clear everything out, I was surprised that when switching to an older version and back to a new one, it had retained some of the newer settings (ex.: labels)... but it may be worth a shot anyway.

Sorry if I missed it, but did you already try the factory reset, on the off-chance that there may be an issue as described above? (Hold both SEL buttons down when turning it on) (regardless of the LakeWest logo as already explained by John)

I don't know if it will clear everything out, I was surprised that when switching to an older version and back to a new one, it had retained some of the newer settings (ex.: labels)... but it may be worth a shot anyway.

On the Older software (upto A0.8) the users settings where stored on the Mainboard EEPROM - this is cleared to default on a "Factory Default" reset.

On the latest A0.9/A10 the user settings are stored on the Front panel MCU internal Flash Memory - these are not clearer when earlier versions of software perform a "Factory Default" reset (as earlier software has no idea about the front panel's memory)- this is why they are retained when you reload the latest software...

On the Older software (upto A0.8) the users settings where stored on the Mainboard EEPROM - this is cleared to default on a "Factory Default" reset.

On the latest A0.9/A10 the user settings are stored on the Front panel MCU internal Flash Memory - these are not clearer when earlier versions of software perform a "Factory Default" reset (as earlier software has no idea about the front panel's memory)- this is why they are retained when you reload the latest software...

Could this not cause problems ?, i found my system function no problems when switching between firmwares but once i started flashing the new ones (A.09-A.10) i was getting sticky relays. Then i start flashing just the older firmwares and no problems whatsover, so back to the new ones and instant sticky relay.

Could this not cause problems ?, i found my system function no problems when switching between firmwares but once i started flashing the new ones (A.09-A.10) i was getting sticky relays. Then i start flashing just the older firmwares and no problems whatsover, so back to the new ones and instant sticky relay.

No absolutely not - the code memory space is different to the Memory used to store user settings.

The sticky Relay is a 100% hardware issue – and has absolutely nothing to do with software. The relay drive circuit is totally transparent to the software it’s either On or Off (1 or 0) - there is nothing in the software that can effect the relay drive levels.

As you unit has a faulty Relay (I’m guessing it always the same channel?) you will always have random problems until the relay is replaced – hopefully I’ll get a chance to update your unit to MPAX Spec – and can replace the relay – that’s if you don’t have it service beforehand… (If / when you send your unit, Pls. insure to remind me of its relay issue, and state which channel is playing up) :)

John

No absolutely not - the code memory space is different to the Memory used to store user settings.

The sticky Relay is a 100% hardware issue – and has absolutely nothing to do with software. The relay drive circuit is totally transparent to the software it’s either On or Off (1 or 0) - there is nothing in the software that can effect the relay drive levels.

As you unit has a faulty Relay (I’m guessing it always the same channel?) you will always have random problems until the relay is replaced – hopefully I’ll get a chance to update your unit to MPAX Spec – and can replace the relay – that’s if you don’t have it service beforehand… (If / when you send your unit, Pls. insure to remind me of its relay issue, and state which channel is playing up) :)

John

No problem sounds good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back