advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, any chance you can clear your PMs - don't want to post in here a nuvistor DAC question as its only relevant to a handful of us...

Jem

Think I got it in there!

Your lucky, as all 3 freed spaces fill within a minute...!

Due to popular request :) the TDAC will have Analouge bypass...

Also, After posting that the TDAC will not have FPGA's processing power - I felt that I could not let this be, so we will add a couple of FPGA's which will allow us to do more funky things later (we have few tricks up our sleeve we want to develop) - so the owners of the TDAC can upgrade there unit later (at a cost to cover the development work) - with Firmware updates that enables the FPGA's if we can improve the SQ further...

Basically the TDAC will have the best Analogue hardware I can design - and we can build up on the digital side with the FPGA's as we progress our development skills... Even in its basic form it should be stunning - but with more to come later (hopefully),

John

Your lucky, as all 3 freed spaces fill within a minute...!

Due to popular request :) the TDAC will have Analouge bypass...

Also, After posting that the TDAC will not have FPGA's processing power - I felt that I could not let this be, so we will add a couple of FPGA's which will allow us to do more funky things later (we have few tricks up our sleeve we want to develop) - so the owners of the TDAC can upgrade there unit later (at a cost to cover the development work) - with Firmware updates that enables the FPGA's if we can improve the SQ further...

Basically the TDAC will have the best Analogue hardware I can design - and we can build up on the digital side with the FPGA's as we progress our development skills... Even in its basic form it should be stunning - but with more to come later (hopefully),

John

This sounds so exciting :p
Are we going to do this by ourselves, or we will have to send it back to you?

This sounds so exciting :p
Are we going to do this by ourselves, or we will have to send it back to you?

No, just a Download... you update via the USB - like the MDAC whos software is updated over the USB, you will be able to update the TDAC's hardware with a USB Firmware update :)

Will there be 1000s of firmware update requests flooding in asking for stuff like a flashing display while music is not playing and while the unit is supposed to be off, or is it on?

No, just a Download... you update via the USB - like the MDAC whos software is updated over the USB, you will be able to update the TDAC's hardware with a USB Firmware update :)
That's wonderful, I get it now. I just googled 'FPGA' and found out I asked a stupid question:p

John

Where's the drool smiley ?

Hi John,

My only quibble with the M-DAC (in comparison to my point of reference, the Naim DAC), is the sense of drive and the ability to fully immerse me in the music. The M-DAC gets me partway there, but not as much as the Naim DAC. I'm guessing here, but I ascribe this to the hefty power supplies that Naim use. If this is the cause of the difference, do you have any thoughts along these lines for the T-DAC ?

Thanks,

Jan

Hi John so when you say the TDAC will have analogue in does this mean the TDAC will be able to control volume of the input so a phono stage can be connected?
Geoff

Where's the drool smiley ?

Hi John,

My only quibble with the M-DAC (in comparison to my point of reference, the Naim DAC), is the sense of drive and the ability to fully immerse me in the music. The M-DAC gets me partway there, but not as much as the Naim DAC. I'm guessing here, but I ascribe this to the hefty power supplies that Naim use. If this is the cause of the difference, do you have any thoughts along these lines for the T-DAC ?

Thanks,

Jan

Jan the problem is the MDAC is not intended to work with the Naim "House sound" I don't even want to go down that road...

I think I'd want to run from an MDAC in a Naim system TBO, forgive me Pls. if I don't really want to say any more...

What happened to the Class A Mosfet amps you mentioned once?

Jan the problem is the MDAC is not intended to work with the Naim "House sound" I don't even want to go down that road...

I think I'd want to run from an MDAC in a Naim system TBO, forgive me Pls. if I don't really want to say any more...

What happened to the Class A Mosfet amps you mentioned once?
Hi John,

I have two main systems in two different houses. The weekend system is mostly all Naim, including the Naim DAC. The week-day system is built around the M-DAC, and I'm purposely trying to make it as un Naim as possible, just to help keep my mind and options open. The source in both is the Naim UnitiServe, which gets carried back and forth between the two houses. I havn't found a better computer source yet.

In the weekday system, I'm using an NVA AP50 integrated with the volume control wide open, controlling volume from the M-DAC.

I'm not trying to slot the M-DAC into the Naim system, but obviously, I compare between the two systems. I think the NVA amplifier is the weak point ATM, lacking grunt. I'm looking for something with balanced inputs, either monoblocks or the M-AMPS (IIRC they're balanced ?), and this is where the class A Mosfet amp (Linar Audio), comes in, as it just ticks all the right boxes, but will be physically overwhelming next to the M-DAC and it doesn't come in black :(

http://www.linaraudio.com/en/105-features.html

Thanks,

Jan

PS. the T-DAC would replace the M-DAC in the weekday system, and my son will get a huge upgrade to his system :)

Hi John,

I have two main systems in two different houses. The weekend system is mostly all Naim, including the Naim DAC. The week-day system is built around the M-DAC, and I'm purposely trying to make it as un Naim as possible, just to help keep my mind and options open. The source in both is the Naim UnitiServe, which gets carried back and forth between the two houses. I havn't found a better computer source yet.

In the weekday system, I'm using an NVA AP50 integrated with the volume control wide open, controlling volume from the M-DAC.

I'm not trying to slot the M-DAC into the Naim system, but obviously, I compare between the two systems. I think the NVA amplifier is the weak point ATM, lacking grunt. I'm looking for something with balanced inputs, either monoblocks or the M-AMPS (IIRC they're balanced ?), and this is where the class A Mosfet amp (Linar Audio), comes in, as it just ticks all the right boxes, but will be physically overwhelming next to the M-DAC and it doesn't come in black :(

http://www.linaraudio.com/en/105-features.html

Thanks,

Jan

PS. the T-DAC would replace the M-DAC in the weekday system, and my son will get a huge upgrade to his system :)

:)

The TDAC will be a full size unit - so I can squeeze everything in - Black or Silver!

Still not worked on the ID design yet, but will use our existing toolings... The rest of TDACs chassis will be CNC'ed due to the limited numbers produced...

I do wonder what the MPAX would bring to the MDAC...

John

I am now appreciating why it has to be full sized.

Simple. It has to match this :D

A105%20BL.jpg

Hi John so when you say the TDAC will have analogue in does this mean the TDAC will be able to control volume of the input so a phono stage can be connected?
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Sorry no, the TDAC will have an "AV Bypass Function" so you can route an externally connected analogue source (RCA + Balanced) to the power amplifiers when required.

The intent of the design is to simply be the best DAC - I don't want to get involved with the complexity of Analogue inputs with level control etc.

However, a passive pot with your external Phono stage would work very well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back