advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi JohnW,

Nice to hear the ESS IC is keeping you busy!

I'm guessing its early days to ask this question so feel free to give some vague answer : basically, I still have an 8200CD sitting in the loft. I know you plan to bring out an internals upgrade next year sometime. I also have an MDAC which has been lovely.

Is the ultimate plan that the 8200 mk2 upgrades are to leapfrog to MDAC + MPAX + mods? In other words - is it worth being patient?

There is some cross posting between this MDAC thread and the 8200 thread. John answered your question 'yes' a couple of weeks ago on posting #331 http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1690787&postcount=331

Hmm...after using 0.96 for a day and switching back to 0.99, and now I think 0.99 sounds a bit different.

Minimum Phase filter definitely sounded different compared to the 0.96 version. There could also be some difference in the stereo image. The 0.96 seemed a bit "inward" with the filters I used it (mostly Minimum Phase) and to me 0.99 seemed "wider" or "airier". The difference is very subtle tho. Immediately after the upgrade, i checked if the upsampling was turned on, because the effect was similar. It wasn't, but the change was definitely subjectively positive. The DAC was in Minimum Phase mode (with 18bit + D3E output).

Maybe there is something different in the Minimum Phase filter too?

Btw, I got no lock errors with 0.96 if the DAC was kept either in 16-22bit + D3E modes or otherwise locked (using dithering) when using 24bit mode. I guess, that was the expected result. I didn't notice any negative effects if the dithering was turned on or off.

I use 0.96 and noticed popping and clicking whilst listening to 24/96 material last night. Is this a firmware thing? It only seems to happen on the 24/96 music.

On a serious note, congratulations on producing such a mighty fine DAC, John.

OK, just to keep everyone updated, it would appear that the V0.99 versions of software is somehow confused the OT filter in place of the OTXD filter... Maybe this partially explains the differences in SQ.

I recall someone has already commented that with 0.99 they now prefer OT over OTXD (as they now appear swapped on V0.99 - it makes sense).

As soon as Dominik's awake China time, I'll find out what could have happened.

Corrections on the way...

John

yes, it was me ... I've been listening to the OT lately ....

John,

I have a rip a HDCD using DBpoweramp which convert this CD to 24bit,44.1Khz AIFF.
Extract from DBpoweramp website:

"Depending upon which audio player is used, if the player can handle 24 bit audio files, then adding the DSP effect HDCD is useful, in that any HDCD audio CDs (a special encoded audio CD with 20 bits of encoded audio information) will be detected and encoded to a 24 bit audio file, non HDCDs are left at 16 bit."

When I play it on the ipad(with cck kit) connected to the mdac, mdac shows only 16bit 44.1khz. Why doesn't it show 24bit? Music file is either played from the ipad or stream to the ipad.

Thanks!

Unmodified 16 bit HDCD files when played with Foobar with HDCD plugin will show 17 bits most of the time (it halves the amplitude for allowing peak extension), and occasionally it will switch to 24 bit shortly.
It seems most HDCD albums though don't use any of the "special" features of the format. Search for Charles Hansen

Hmm...after using 0.96 for a day and switching back to 0.99, and now I think 0.99 sounds a bit different.

Minimum Phase filter definitely sounded different compared to the 0.96 version. There could also be some difference in the stereo image. The 0.96 seemed a bit "inward" with the filters I used it (mostly Minimum Phase) and to me 0.99 seemed "wider" or "airier". The difference is very subtle tho. Immediately after the upgrade, i checked if the upsampling was turned on, because the effect was similar. It wasn't, but the change was definitely subjectively positive. The DAC was in Minimum Phase mode (with 18bit + D3E output).

Maybe there is something different in the Minimum Phase filter too?

Btw, I got no lock errors with 0.96 if the DAC was kept either in 16-22bit + D3E modes or otherwise locked (using dithering) when using 24bit mode. I guess, that was the expected result. I didn't notice any negative effects if the dithering was turned on or off.

I Agree, i'm using .099 with OS filter, the stage appears wider and deeper compared to .090

When I play it on the ipad(with cck kit) connected to the mdac, mdac shows only 16bit 44.1khz. Why doesn't it show 24bit?

HDCD decoded to a 24bit wrapper will only flip to showing 20 or 21bit (n.b. HDCD is never 24bit) very occasionally and then only when the audio gets extremely quiet (typically below -50dB).

I suggest checking your system with a genuine 24bit download - most of the suppliers of downloads offer a free 24bit test suite. Use that to check whether or not the full 24bit data is hitting the MDAC.

Hi John

Reading your comments, I have changed the display to show "Nominal Frequency" and can now reduce the Jitter Rejection Bandwidth on my PVR connection from Medium to Low, without any breakup, although I haven't noticed any change in SQ yet.

Maybe with too much 'extra' processing going on at the same time, performance can reduce slightly.

When the display off option is available/used, maybe it could also automatically stop any unnecessary 'extra' processing, to ensure maximum performance?

Spoke too soon!

Have changed back to Medium.

Some channels/programes are fine and some take a while to settle down i.e without the odd 'break up'.

On the Medium setting all is well.

Still feel it is worth stopping unnecessary 'display related' processing when the screen is off just in case it degrades SQ.

OK, just to keep everyone updated, it would appear that the V0.99 versions of software is somehow confused the OT filter in place of the OTXD filter... Maybe this partially explains the differences in SQ.

I recall someone has already commented that with 0.99 they now prefer OT over OTXD (as they now appear swapped on V0.99 - it makes sense).

As soon as Dominik's awake China time, I'll find out what could have happened.

Corrections on the way...

John

John, does this mean there is now no way to access the OTXD filter in v0.99, or is it that the OT and OTXD are swapped around?

I listen to OTXD by default, and when I installed v0.99 something didn't seem right about the sound, so after about 30 minutes listening I rolled back to v0.96. At the time I wasn't sure I'd imagined it and seeing all the positive comments coming in over the days that followed only reinforced this - either that or my ears were not up to the job, so I kept quiet. Only now do I feel comfortable coming out of the closet! Oops... sorry for not mentioning sooner

John, does this mean there is now no way to access the OTXD filter in v0.99, or is it that the OT and OTXD are swapped around?

I listen to OTXD by default, and when I installed v0.99 something didn't seem right about the sound, so after about 30 minutes listening I rolled back to v0.96. At the time I wasn't sure I'd imagined it and seeing all the positive comments coming in over the days that followed only reinforced this - either that or my ears were not up to the job, so I kept quiet. Only now do I feel comfortable coming out of the closet! Oops... sorry for not mentioning sooner

Hi Tim,

Yes - on SOME units they are swapped - we don't understand how there can be a variance - but we believe we have a solution to fix it.

It would be extremely helpful if you could try V0.99 and swap between OT and OTXD see if that helps...

John

Does anyone have any recommend power amps that would pair well with the M-Dac?

My budget would be around £500-750 and my musical taste is varied. It's also quite important that Hifi shops still stock these amps so I can home demo. I've bought nearly all of my equipment just going from online reviews and forum recommendations, which isn't really ideal.

I'm going from Rega DAC - Rega Brio-R - Monitor Audio Rx1 and will be replacing the Rega Dac with the MDac. As such, I'm interested in a power amp as recommended by JohnW. This will be a simpler solution for me in terms of hardware (One remote to control everything), also the Brio-R gets pretty hot in my TV Cabinet.

It was a tough call for me to choose the Mdac over the Rega, likely because I had grown accustomed to the Regas more laid back/smoother sound. But I had always wanted a more detailed sound from my system and the Mdac definitely brings that to the table. A/B testing I find myself favouring different Dacs depending on the song itself, or certain parts of songs. I think overall right now the rega is slightly more foot tappy to me perhaps just because I am more familiar with that sound, also the Brio is likely better suited paired with the Rega anyway - So hoping to achieve higher levels of foot tappyness from a good Mdac amp paring!

I've not really heard any other amps in my system apart from the Brio-R, it is very highly regarded on forums/reviews but I have nothing to compare so no idea if I would prefer the sonic signature or a different amp (Favour warmness, attack etc).

I'm hoping to demo some amps tomorrow so any input would be greatly appreciated.

My budget would be around £500-750 and my musical taste is varied. It's also quite important that Hifi shops still stock these amps so I can home demo. I've bought nearly all of my equipment just going from online reviews and forum recommendations, which isn't really ideal.

I'm going from Rega DAC - Rega Brio-R - Monitor Audio Rx1 and will be replacing the Rega Dac with the MDac. As such, I'm interested in a power amp as recommended by JohnW. This will be a simpler solution for me in terms of hardware (One remote to control everything), also the Brio-R gets pretty hot in my TV Cabinet.

It was a tough call for me to choose the Mdac over the Rega, likely because I had grown accustomed to the Regas more laid back/smoother sound. But I had always wanted a more detailed sound from my system and the Mdac definitely brings that to the table. A/B testing I find myself favouring different Dacs depending on the song itself, or certain parts of songs. I think overall right now the rega is slightly more foot tappy to me perhaps just because I am more familiar with that sound, also the Brio is likely better suited paired with the Rega anyway - So hoping to achieve higher levels of foot tappyness from a good Mdac amp paring!

I've not really heard any other amps in my system apart from the Brio-R, it is very highly regarded on forums/reviews but I have nothing to compare so no idea if I would prefer the sonic signature or a different amp (Favour warmness, attack etc).

I'm hoping to demo some amps tomorrow so any input would be greatly appreciated.

for the RX1 you could try the Emotiva mini-x - they are quite transparent..

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

I have the XPA-5 with the RX8's and the GX350 centre... they work very well... I wouldn't call them warm though.... I have the GX300 with a tube amp... it warms the MA's up a bit...

Mutsu,

With the MDAC, did you try changing the Digital, they can change the sound balance...

You may find that on certain recordings that changing the filter might be better suited to a particular track.

MDAC will have matching power amplifiers within 6 months... (120W + 120W) within your price bracket.

John

Hi John,

Will the forthcoming Lakewest products (MPAX, MAMP, MTRANS etc) be sold in markets outside Europe...US, Australia, Asia etc? If so, will they be sold directly through mail order or through local dealers? If sold through mail order, will they be sold with appropriate power supply applicable to the voltage of the country it is supplied to (and the appropriate AC plug)?

I'm in Australia and am interested in how I will be able to purchase your products...when they're released.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back