advertisement

MDAC first listen (part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audiolab version has been released a while back - next week we are about to release an updated version - might as well wait for this release.

Why isn't Audiolab offering to download it from their website? Did they forget their customers?

What level do you listen with the MDAC? (Whats the MDAC level set to?)

I've also never heard a pair of B&W speaker that image well... (I don't know your pair)

i am listening at about -30 to -26 db to get a decent bass, i think it's pretty loud to get a decent sound though but anyway it still sounds way better than my av receiver.

my problem is how to connect the mdac and av receiver together? i have bought an av auto switcher from a small chinese shop but i am hesitating if it's safe to use?

http://www.seebest.cn/en.php/Product/proparam/id/389

Input signal voltage and impedance - 2.0VP-P/20KΩ
Output signal voltage and impedance - 2.0VP-P/20KΩ

thanks

i am listening at about -30 to -26 db to get a decent bass, i think it's pretty loud to get a decent sound though but anyway it still sounds way better than my av receiver.

my problem is how to connect the mdac and av receiver together? i have bought an av auto switcher from a small chinese shop but i am hesitating if it's safe to use?

thanks

does your AV has a passthrough mode? or pure mode?

My onkyo 5009 has a passthrough mode and it works well enough ...

however, I use a separate tube receiver and direct connection to the MDAC ... both options works ok, but the straight into the tube amp is slightly better

Hi John,

I'm now getting crackling through the left channel on the USB input. Should I go back to the v.90 software? (I'm running the latest .96 software)

Or is it not the software update that's caused this?

Regards,
James

Hi John,

Just to let you know, further to my post above just in case you missed it, I went back to the old v0.90 software and the crackling on the left channel seems to have dissapeared. Glad to see its just the software revision and not the MDAC hardware.

Hope this is of some use to you/Dom for bug-finding.

Looking forward to the next update but ultimately the Lakewest update :)

Regards,
James

John,

I am planning on utilizing the new Audio-GD Digital Interface DSP version with my MDAC when i receive it. (Mainly because it does 24-192 async)
It has both BNC and RCA coaxial output.

the BNC output is "Applied Current Conveyor Technology".
the RCA coaxial output is "Transmit insulate"

Which of the following would be the best to use?
BNC --> RCA Cable into the coaxial input of the MDAC
RCA --> RCA cable into the coaxial input of the MDAC

thanks!

John,

I am planning on utilizing the new Audio-GD Digital Interface DSP version with my MDAC when i receive it. (Mainly because it does 24-192 async)
It has both BNC and RCA coaxial output.

the BNC output is "Applied Current Conveyor Technology".
the RCA coaxial output is "Transmit insulate"

Which of the following would be the best to use?
BNC --> RCA Cable into the coaxial input of the MDAC
RCA --> RCA cable into the coaxial input of the MDAC

thanks!

Hi Darren,

I guess the the RCA is transformer coupled... No idea what magic they are claiming for the BNC.

Try both :)

Why isn't Audiolab offering to download it from their website? Did they forget their customers?

:rolleyes: what can I say... Maybe they are waiting for more feedback from customers on the stablity of the software build. We are about to release a build the fixes a remaining issue with 192kHz and the Oppo unit, and try a different workaround for the ESS left channel locking issue.

Guess Audiolab will post this release.

John

thanks

The AV switch box you sent the link really does not look promising, I'm guessing it does not use Relays to switch the audio path - rather some cheap CMOS switches... These are not good for sound - and for sure it will be AC coupled (uses AC coupling capacitors)...

Its not going to help you systems sound quality.

The MPAX will allow AV Audio Bypass.

I recommend speaking with your dealer - and trying different speakers at home - TBH I don't like the sound of the B&W speakers I've heard - quite sterile and boring - need to be driven hard before they spring to life...

John

Daft question (open to anyone). If I bought one of these universal disc spinners (that can do SACD and DVD-A as well as DVD/BluRay duties) would the MDAC be able to work with the digital outputs? I seem to recall something about SACDs being unwilling to cooperate in such a styley.

Just wondering about whether to ditch the hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful Samsung Blu Ray player we have and get a decent all-in-one job that can also open the door to the 13-or-so SACDs in existence. Or whatever.

Hello John, did you see my question?. Would appreciate an a reply, as want to find out about the future upgarde options before getting an mdac.

I am thinking of getting an M-dac sometime soon, and was wondering what the options for the m-pax power supply upgrade will be and what the price will be, and when it is due to be available. Thanks and sorry for all the questions!.

Hi Tiggs,

The MPAX is a HQ PSU which also adds AV bypass (XLR & RCA), 12V Triggers, Coarse Stepped attenuators (to limit the digital Attenuation levels).

Options are:

1. "Basic" Plug and Play MPAX (no need for modifications to MDAC) ~ GBP299

2. Extended quality versions adds internal PSU card in MDAC (can be fitted by brave owners, or shipped to Czech Rep. for update) ~ GBP369

3. Extended quality + MDAC Motherboard modifications (requires the MDAC to be shipped to Czech Rep. for modifications) - No idea on pricing yet..

4. Additional Full range balanced stepped attenuators - allows the MPAX to function as simple very HQ line Level Analogue Pre-Amplifier (with both RCA and Balanced inputs) Additional GBP100

John

Just wondering about whether to ditch the hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful, hateful Samsung Blu Ray player we have and get a decent all-in-one job that can also open the door to the 13-or-so SACDs in existence. Or whatever.

So reading between the lines you like your Samsung?

It would be okay if it weren't so bloody..... well, I'm searching for the right term, but the only one I can come up with is 'possessed'. By demons. Or something. It is just one freakily unusable bit of junk, even if the picture quality* is good.

* if you can perform the necessary incantations to persuade it to open the drawer, never mind get it to play a disc without doing general weird things... ferinstance, it can take six or eight presses of the eject button for it to decide that, yes, you do indeed wish it to eject a disc. Or, how about the fact that if you pause it for more than five minutes or so, it goes to sleep. On waking, you have to watch your blu ray FROM THE BEGINNING. So we've developed a kind of 'watch' which involves me or the wife going to make the tea/answer the phone/settle the kids, whilst the other presses pause every 30 seconds to prevent its narcoleptic reset.

Why do we put up with it? Sheer bloody-mindedness not to admit defeat in the face of the enemy...

Might just have to give in. Life's too short to have to bend over backwards to persuade a hundred quid blu ray player to do what it's meant to do...

Daft question (open to anyone). If I bought one of these universal disc spinners (that can do SACD and DVD-A as well as DVD/BluRay duties) would the MDAC be able to work with the digital outputs? I seem to recall something about SACDs being unwilling to cooperate in such a styley

SACDs will only output the 16/44.1 layer through the digital output. I've not tried it with my M-Dac, but this worked ok with the MF Dac I used before.

Ah, that's a pity. Not worth it then - it was only ever a 'what if' scratch I wondered about itching*.

* and giving me an excuse to drop-kick the Samsung to the local recycling...

Hi Tiggs,

The MPAX is a HQ PSU which also adds AV bypass (XLR & RCA), 12V Triggers, Coarse Stepped attenuators (to limit the digital Attenuation levels).

Options are:

1. "Basic" Plug and Play MPAX (no need for modifications to MDAC) ~ GBP299

2. Extended quality versions adds internal PSU card in MDAC (can be fitted by brave owners, or shipped to Czech Rep. for update) ~ GBP369

3. Extended quality + MDAC Motherboard modifications (requires the MDAC to be shipped to Czech Rep. for modifications) - No idea on pricing yet..

4. Additional Full range balanced stepped attenuators - allows the MPAX to function as simple very HQ line Level Analogue Amplifier (with both RCA and Balanced inputs) Additional GBP100

John

Please, please, please John, can I sign up for option 3?
I've alredy asked, but you never told me how to send an advance payment. I want it so bad I don't care about the price!!! Please could you send me an MP with details?

I'm using a Cambridge Audio 751BD (Universal disc spinner) with my MDAC using the coax dig out on the CA into the Audiolab. AFAIAA this only works with CD. For SACD/DVD-A it appears the only way to get the digital stream is by HDMI into a suitable AV receiver/processor.
BTW if you are looking for a replacement for your beloved Samsung, I'm going to be putting up a Cambridge Audio 650BD on ebay at the weekend. This is also a universal disc spinner (CD/SACD/DVD-A etc), main difference with the 751 is lack of 3D. If you are interested I would be happy to sell to a fellow PFMer rather same on ebay.
Gary

Daft question (open to anyone). If I bought one of these universal disc spinners (that can do SACD and DVD-A as well as DVD/BluRay duties) would the MDAC be able to work with the digital outputs? I seem to recall something about SACDs being unwilling to cooperate in such a styley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back