advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here's the latest release A0.6

Having spent about half an hour swapping the two data phase modes, as with the previous (similar) test, the difference is somewhere between zero and minute.

Certainly not sufficient for anybody to lose sleep over...

Having spent about half an hour swapping the two data phase modes, as with the previous (similar) test, the difference is somewhere between zero and minute.

The Phase modes are different in A0.6. The earlier software flips the Phase of the Data to the DAC array after the digital modulators - with A0.6 the input data to the modulators (thus the whole chip) is flipped - therefore with A.06 the digital processing sections within the DAC operate with different digital Data patterns.

Any sonic differences are thus due to second order modulation effects on the silicon die (PSU and Clock modulation etc).

John

Hello guys,

My MDAC is not responding anymore, and I have the following message "Audiolab no comms".

Sorry for interrupting the discussion, but this seems to be the only relevant topic when I searched through Google.

Please could someone help, or do I need to bring it back to the store ?

DSC_0005.JPG

Hello guys,

My MDAC is not responding anymore, and I have the following message "Audiolab no comms".

Sorry for interrupting the discussion, but this seems to be the only relevant topic when I searched through Google.

Please could someone help, or do I need to bring it back to the store ?

DSC_0005.JPG

Yes, its most likely due to the crystal that's failed in the MDACs internal clock.

John

Hello guys,

Please could someone help, or do I need to bring it back to the store?
Welcome to the club... yes it most likely has to go back. I had a similar issue and tried to fix it in various ways w/ John's advice to no good. Luckily my dealer had one last M-DAC in stock! (I'm in the US) and was willing and able to send it to me and that one has been working like a charm since. Good luck, hope it gets resolved quickly!

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'm in France, and I know they had no stock, but they managed to get the unit in one week. So we'll see.

Did you notice any difference between 4 & 5?

...and are you using the M-dac as a pre, or just as a DAC?

Tried updating from v.99 to A.06. Mainboard updates and got the message

Replied '-'

after which the M-DAC display blanks out. Switching it back on, the revision was shown as v.099/vA.06

i.e. the control was not updated. I re-flashed with the 0.99/0.98 firmware and the same thing happened, but now the mainboard is back to 0.99.

Any ideas why I can't flash the control?

Thanks
Krisposs

I never put A.05 on the thing - went from A.04 to A.06

Using the volume control, MDAC direct to power amp.

Interesting...I've not tried 6, have stuck with 5 as it sounds like .99 and has the screen dimming, but 4 was a bit of a disappointment for me...to the extent that I thought I was coming down with a cold or something. Perhaps it's a kit thing...or that 6 is different again, I'll give it a shot tomorrow :)

Tried updating from v.99 to A.06. Mainboard updates and got the message

Replied '-'

after which the M-DAC display blanks out. Switching it back on, the revision was shown as v.099/vA.06

i.e. the control was not updated. I re-flashed with the 0.99/0.98 firmware and the same thing happened, but now the mainboard is back to 0.99.

Any ideas why I can't flash the control?

Thanks
Krisposs

I've forward your post to Dominik, I think there's a potential issue with the latest updater routine - I believe it was changed from 0.99 to A0.3 to solve issue with updating from MAC's...

Thanks John. Though please note I had exactly the same problem when re-flashing with the original v.099/.098 firmware (did not update the control)

If I remember correctly John promised to post some pictures of the M-AMP and M-PAX. ;)

Well first pass prototype chassis with a few issues:

1. The MPAX's heatsink will not have the Radius profile (the curved sections top and bottom of the heat sink) - it will be "squared".

2. Lake.West Logo will be Laser Etched - not milled

3. Position of power switch is incorrect (on the samples its not vertically aligned correctly with the MDAC's)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86116171/MDAC PAX AMP Small.jpg

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back