advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah you are right. Definitely, I think my unit is having a problem somewhere. In order to fully rectify the issue, they should change a new unit. No point service it and the problem still persist. Who knows, when i bring it there everything works fine again. That's why I'm relunctant to sent it back to the dealers.

Just hope that the problem does not resurface again. Thanks for those PFM forumer for your advise.

I'd advise you to cut your losses & take it back ASAP if it reoccurs & request a replacement but do explain it's intermittent & that you've been in touch with the designer who's tentatively diagnosed a sticky mute relay as the probable issue. If you wait much longer, they will just offer to have it repaired with an ensuing delay - unless JW suggests something else..

Have just installed A05 - cannot comment on any difference in SQ as my left ear is completely blocked with wax & have to wait until Monday lunchtime to have it syringed. This coming weekend will have me gritting my teeth :eek:

I'm confused here 0.90 and 0.99 are different...

Try A0.5

I'm not sure if it's all in my mind, but I think bass has improved on the A0.5..... Moving from A0.4

I'm not using an SPL meter, however lower bass notes seem more prominent again.... I like it!!

Only listening to XD at the moment.... I've been now 3 weeks on the same playlist every night!

Good stuff!

I'm not sure if it's all in my mind, but I think bass has improved on the A0.5..... Moving from A0.4

Good stuff!

Ditto...just spent half an hour toggling between A0.4 & A0.5, using a current favourite track of mine Footsteps by the Hidden Orchestra...all comparisons made on the default OTXD

I now see why I was a little confused with A0.4, with A0.5 it's not just the base that's better, it's the soundstage too. The track opens some snare and high hat work right and left speakers respectively, and a big fat upright bass in the center stage.

With A0.4 the positioning of the upright bass is vague, with A0.5 it's more focussed, perhaps the extra bass helps with this, but it also gives a wider soundstage...this is more like what I had at .99, and with dimming too :)

Cheers JW & Dom

FYI John/Dom,
A0.5 also not running on a virtual machine with Mac OS 10.6.

Is there still a Mac-ready version in the pipeline??

0.90 still sounds perfect to my average ears, but the screen dimming would be welcome.

OK here's the latest release A0.6

http://db.tt/jL7G2Bxo

The "Phase select" Menu option selects between the "apparent" Sound quality variations of A0.4 / A0.5 :-

A0.4 0 Deg
A0.5 180 Deg

Note: the SQ effects are due to second order processing of the Digital data on the DAC die (Processing 1's instead of 0's), and not related to the "Absolute Phase" of the audio system.

Also clarified the descriptions used for the Menu option "Default input source upon power up option"

Dom / John

OK here's the latest release A0.6

http://db.tt/jL7G2Bxo

The "Phase select" option selects between:-

A0.4 0 Deg
A0.5 180 Deg

Also clarified the "English" for the Menu option "Default input source upon power up option"

Dom / John

So does that imply that A0.6 is a composite of A0.4 & A0.5 (and one can select via the phase), or am I missing something...

FYI John/Dom,
A0.5 also not running on a virtual machine with Mac OS 10.6.

Is there still a Mac-ready version in the pipeline??

0.90 still sounds perfect to my average ears, but the screen dimming would be welcome.

Hi Simonom,

For the moment, MDAC updates will be on hold as Dominik's now working on the Creek amplifier / DAC software - Input Source renaming for the MDAC is the last on the list, not sure what the plans are for native MAC OS update...

John

So does that imply that A0.6 is a composite of A0.4 & A0.5 (and one can select via the phase), or am I missing something...

The difference between A0.4 / A0.5 was the Phase of the input data to the DAC which has been flipped - now selectable on A0.6 via the phase option (the input Data is now flipped, rather then the Data to the DAC arrays).

John

The difference between A0.4 / A0.5 was the Phase of the input data to the DAC which has been flipped - now selectable on A0.6 via the phase option (the input Data is now flipped, rather then the Data to the DAC arrays).

John

Cheers for the reply John, I'll stick with A0.5 in that case, I don't want A0.4 anywhere near my M-Dac, even if it is optional :)

Cheers for the reply John, I'll stick with A0.5 in that case, I don't want A0.4 anywhere near my M-Dac, even if it is optional :)

It be interesting to know if it is the Data phase, you can always roll back to A0.5...

On A0.6 select 180Deg phase for A0.5 SQ...

It be interesting to know if it is the Data phase, you can always roll back to A0.5...

On A0.6 select 180Deg phase for A0.5 SQ...

I'll give it a go tomorrow John...the pub is calling, and any messing around later might not be under the best 'controlled' conditions ;)

Cheers again

John

John, now you are messing with our mind and hearing! But in a good way:)

But seriously, I'm confused. A.04 definitely do not sound like 0.90. Is A0.5 closer to 0.90?

John, now you are messing with our mind and hearing! But in a good way:)

But seriously, I'm confused. A.04 definitely do not sound like 0.90. Is A0.5 closer to 0.90?

I really CANNOT say as I don't have a HQ system to really listen with...

John

ok! still confused but will try this fw. Thanks.
Good to know the difference I heard between 0.90 and A0.40 is not placebo.:)

Don't forget that the filter load issue with 0.90 with SPDIF inputs can also confuse and complicate the issue...

John

Don't forget that the filter load issue with 0.90 with SPDIF inputs can also confuse and complicate the issue...

John

Yes, i know about the issue but I'm using USB input.
On another note, how is the HFN review of the mdac with 8200mb? I'm asking cos I'm using this combo driving a pair of Joseph audio RM7XL speakers.:)

Yes, i know about the issue but I'm using USB input.
On another note, how is the HFN review of the mdac with 8200mb? I'm asking cos I'm using this combo driving a pair of Joseph audio RM7XL speakers.:)

I had a quick read in WHS earlier - they liked the combo very much & give it a outstanding VFM rating (£2k6). If they tried each product with other equipment - I don't know 'cos I didn't read the entire review nor remember what speakers were used.

It rather implies that feeding the M-DAC into a fairly powerful pair of monoblocks didn't have an impact on the digital attenuator effecting SQ - didn't see any mention of fixed attenuators being used between them to raise the range that the volume control works over.

Thanks. I have no need to use attenuators feeding the mdac to 8200mb. The mono block gain is at 29db, not particularly high. Typical listening volume on the mdac is -22 to -24db.

Hi Simonom,

For the moment, MDAC updates will be on hold as Dominik's now working on the Creek amplifier / DAC software - Input Source renaming for the MDAC is the last on the list, not sure what the plans are for native MAC OS update...

John

Hi John and Dom

Just installed A.06 and listening to some Art Pepper using 180 deg/A0.5.

Sounds very good so far and will swap about over the next few days.

Great job with the dimming options. Very smart/tasteful.

Also, set default input to USB. Very useful.

IMO, it would be nice to leave this phase option/choice in the final released.

Just need the input naming and brilliant job.

Any more info on the M-AMP (photos would be good) if/when you get a moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back