advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKR

I am using Audiolab CDQ connected to Macbook pro via M2tech Hiface. I am using iTunes with Channel-D Pure Music software. In Mac settings I have selected Channel-D as output option. And in Pure Music audio settings I have selected M2Tech Hiface with maximum up sampling. The result is when I play music the Pure Music displays on top of iTunes shows: M2Tech USB 2.0 Audio Out 64 bit up sampling to 192KHz(maximum Fidelity SRC). Sound quality is really very good. I do not know if the display 64/192 is correct. Can anyone explain this. Suddenly one day I changed to above settings and was taken by surprise by improvement in sound quality. When I looked at the display in Pure Music display I saw 64/192.

You probably have "Always resample 44.1kHz <--> 48kHz" checked in the ASIO4ALL control panel.

This was not checked in the control panel.
I uninstall the beta ASIO4ALL driver and installed the release version (2.10) and mdac now shows 16bit 44.1khz. Looks like a driver issue.
Thanks.

I was trying foobar at the weekend and had the exact same issue with the beta asio4all, I discovered actually ticking the resample option stopped it being resampled they must have reversed it somehow.
Successfully passed bitpefect test after ticking resample option, but I still reverted back to stable release for peace of mind.

I really wish people would not mess with beta software until they are totally comfortable with it. Stuck to the tried and tested stuff!

I've just connected our new samsung tv via the optical digital output to my 8200CD and it keeps loosing lock on both OPT one and two, dropping out the audio repeatedly. Is this the same issue as the MDAC has shown? Can it be fixed by following the method JohnW described previously?

Many thanks.

I've just connected our new samsung tv via the optical digital output to my 8200CD and it keeps loosing lock on both OPT one and two, dropping out the audio repeatedly. Is this the same issue as the MDAC has shown?
Yes
Can it be fixed by following the method JohnW described previously?

Many thanks.

No

IIRC only the mdac is user programmable via USB. The CD needs returning to audiolab (or a dealer)

I've just connected our new samsung tv via the optical digital output to my 8200CD and it keeps loosing lock on both OPT one and two, dropping out the audio repeatedly. Is this the same issue as the MDAC has shown? Can it be fixed by following the method JohnW described previously?

Many thanks.

AlWilliams,

Your issue can be resolved if you go to the Menu, and select DPLL setting (while on the optical input connected to your Samsung TV) - Select Medium or High.

Its described in the manual under DPLL settings,

This should resolve the dropouts,

John

Thanks for the advice. I've checked both my audiolab and samsung manuals and neither make mention of dpll at all. I've also checked available menus on the kit with no joy. Suspect I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm now wondering if some of the lack of bass I am experiencing at lower volumes in my system could be because I need attenuators.

Comfortable listening volume displays -41db on the MDac (I could go to -35db if I wasn't in a flat with thin walls - any more than this is what I would consider too loud for my room) and I previously read JohnW stating he listens at around -25 to -15db.

@JohnW - Do you think it's worth me trying some attenuators in my system? If so, would you recommend any in particular and type (-10db/-20db)?

Thanks

@ Mutsu
Depending on the answer you receive, I've found these to be excellent attenuators (I've also tried the better known UK brand, the -10 dB version), with a wide choice of values to choose from. I have the -20 dB version, and possibly could have done with the -14 dB.
http://www.goldenjacks.com/
I have no connection to the seller.

@ Mutsu
Depending on the answer you receive, I've found these to be excellent attenuators (I've also tried the better known UK brand, the -10 dB version), with a wide choice of values to choose from. I have the -20 dB version, and possibly could have done with the -14 dB.
http://www.goldenjacks.com/
I have no connection to the seller.

+1. I’m not sure or not if attenuators are you best solution but if they are Goldenjacks are very well made, nearly half the price of their nearest competitor and the owner Iain’s level of customer service is second to none. For the sake of one sale he answered loads of my emails promptly and even sent me a loan pair to try out in my system. You could drop him an email.

I'm now wondering if some of the lack of bass I am experiencing at lower volumes in my system could be because I need attenuators.

Comfortable listening volume displays -41db on the MDac (I could go to -35db if I wasn't in a flat with thin walls - any more than this is what I would consider too loud for my room) and I previously read JohnW stating he listens at around -25 to -15db.

@JohnW - Do you think it's worth me trying some attenuators in my system? If so, would you recommend any in particular and type (-10db/-20db)?

Thanks

its always best to try it out on your set up ... I have rothwells ... I tried on my set up, and it did improve the mids, but I lost a bit of the top end definition and bottom end bass.... I decided I'd rather go without it, but it was a worthwhile test nevertheless...

No. It is due to the Fletcher-Munson curve. Look it up.

You need a speaker that makes more bass at low volumes.

Or you need tone / loudness controls.

I have just received my new M-DAC. I have been trying to play some 96k/24 bit files from my MacBook. I cannot get the M-DAC to sync at 96k, when I have set this in the Audio Midi interface in the Mac. The highest rate the M-DAC will sync at is 48K/24. I am using an optical TOSLink cable to connect. I have not installed the FW upgrades, as I do not have a Windows computer, nor as I am at my French house do I have access to one (I have converted all my near neighbours all to Mac).

Any help would be appreciated.

Wilson

I have just received my new M-DAC. I have been trying to play some 96k/24 bit files from my MacBook. I cannot get the M-DAC to sync at 96k, when I have set this in the Audio Midi interface in the Mac. The highest rate the M-DAC will sync at is 48K/24. I am using an optical TOSLink cable to connect. I have not installed the FW upgrades, as I do not have a Windows computer, nor as I am at my French house do I have access to one (I have converted all my near neighbours all to Mac).

Any help would be appreciated.

Wilson

It might be the optical cable, I have had several fail in the past. Its confusing at first as the red light can be clearly seen. It then dawned on me that as its made of plastic, over the years it will start to break up and the resulting internal reflections from the fractures will wreck the eye diagram of the signal. I use isolated USB with the MDAC and did have locking issues but the 0.99 update seems to have cured it.

Update on my DOA M-DAC saga: it has ended well, Planet of Sound's Michael has courteously and quickly offered a replacement (the last one) after I ship mine back. Which I did, and the replacement arrived yesterday and is working fine. Upgraded to the .99 firmware without a hitch (using my Windows 7 VM), ran the bitperfect tests, everything's accurate, whether via USB, Optical or coaxial.

wilsonlaidlaw: This was up to 96khz/24bit via a Macbook, so I second the other members' opinion that the culprit is most likely the optical cable.

A question I asked earlier if anyone knows:
Mine came with a US-only power supply. When I move back to Europe, do I have to try & order a european one from some distributor (since Audiolab doesn't seem to have any direct support/sales) or are there compatible 3rd party ones?

its always best to try it out on your set up ... I have rothwells ... I tried on my set up, and it did improve the mids, but I lost a bit of the top end definition and bottom end bass.... I decided I'd rather go without it, but it was a worthwhile test nevertheless...

I thought something similar w.r.t. the Rothwells -10db, but as imaginary as it probably is, I don't find this with the Goldenjacks -20db, and so they have remained in constant use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back