advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I have had my M-DAC for the last 6 days. I'm in Montreal. My unit was reserved in November. I may have not heard the salesman correctly, but he told me that the Canadian distributor received only ten units, in which case all of us in North America to have received a unit can consider ourselves very fortunate. The unit is still in its burn in period, but it has been at least 20 hours by now and oh my this is a big improvement over my DAC Magic (as expected). The M-DAC provides the double benefit of bypassing my Arcam AVR receiver in my set-up by driving directly my active speakers.
M-DAC and Linkwitz Lab Plutos really gel together!
Knock on wood for any hardware problems with the M-DAC. Many hours of happy listening ahead :) Thank you John.

JohnW,

A question regarding the Power On/Of:

Going through manual it appears that Power On/Of is not controlled via remote. If so, is leaving MDAC always on a good idea? If I would like to switch it remotely, what are my options? I switch my sub using "sensor" power bar that senses when my amp is on or of and switches power accordingly for plugged in devices. Obviously plugged in devices have to be left on for this to work. Would this work?​

Regards,
VSS

Hi John

How far away are we with the M-PAX? Sold my Pre-Amp and no longer have an analog front end!!

Seb

I'd imagine its arrival is imminent, which for John is anywhere between 6 and 18 months ;-)

Hiya John, did you have time to send the replacement unit this week? I have to pre-empt my deliveries leaving a note for the driver to leave with neighbors as I'm never at home during delivery times.

Cheers

Like all silicon it is happier always on.

Because I use a valve power amp, I now switch my system off at night. I tried that with my old Naim kit and it was far from happy, sounding very off for hours if not days.
I was concerned that the MDAC would suffer the same way, so I did the experiment. In my (rather revealing) system, I cannot tell any difference between MDAC on for two minutes, and MDAC on for two days, and more importantly, neither can my wife who has the advantage of no preconceptions, so no bias. I'm happy that the MDAC is at its optimum by the time my EAR is able to drive my speakers.

Yeh, but like any IC it will die sooner form repeated thermal cycling. I agree with you re warm up, all it takes is seconds.

Is the 8200CD a MDAC with CD play ? ie is the MDAC the same as the dac part of the 8200CD ? Is the headphone amp same quality ?

Only by freezing below -20Deg C can the software be lost... however it can be restored by the user with the soon to be released upgrade software package.
Really? Someone might want to let the Canadian distributor know this, it's not uncommon for parts of the country to have temperatures lower than that.

Really? Someone might want to let the Canadian distributor know this, it's not uncommon for parts of the country to have temperatures lower than that.

Yes this is a common limit for a host of devices that use EEPROM's as used by petty criminals to erase Pin codes stored on Mobile phones and car radio head units... Put them in the freezer for a day or so.

Is the 8200CD a MDAC with CD play ? ie is the MDAC the same as the dac part of the 8200CD ? Is the headphone amp same quality ?

No, the MDAC is a later platform - with better SQ then the CD/CDQ (and Cheaper :) ).

Actually John I'm so embarrassed that I sent them, I'll simply stick with the ones I've got. Many thanks for the offer. Cheers.

Hi Arthur,

it will only take me 5 minutes, so no problem to make a 4 resistor XLR attenuator for you - I'd be only to happy to hear if you notice any difference between the more standard type.

Just let me know your ideal attenuation level.

John

Hiya John, did you have time to send the replacement unit this week? I have to pre-empt my deliveries leaving a note for the driver to leave with neighbors as I'm never at home during delivery times.

Cheers

Hi Chronic,

Sorry while testing your replacement unit I discovered the Digital filter load issue, so I'm waiting to test the latest software build from Dom - I should have a beta version tomorrow.

I'd rather insure the software issue has been resolved before sending any units out - this also gives me an opportunity to test upon a few units.

I'll PM as soon as its ready with shipping details.

John

Hi John

How far away are we with the M-PAX? Sold my Pre-Amp and no longer have an analog front end!!

Seb

Hi Seb

About 2 to 3 months... Ive been distracted on the M-AMP.

There's also a cheaper GBP200 DAC in the works (for a UK Brand :) )

Hi Chronic,

Sorry while testing your replacement unit I discovered the Digital filter load issue, so I'm waiting to test the latest software build from Dom - I should have a beta version tomorrow.

I'd rather insure the software issue has been resolved before sending any units out - this also gives me an opportunity to test upon a few units.

I'll PM as soon as its ready with shipping details.

John

Hey John, if you could send it to my work address that would be ideal, your PM box is full so just give me a shout before you send it & ill reply with the address ;)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back