advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried running the M-DAC straight in to a Nap 250 or Avondale power amp?

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this too, I'd like to run the M-DAC into my 140 as I've no Hicap at the minute with my 72. I've no M-DAC either btw still waiting? Anyone know what interconnect I would need to run M-DAC into 140?

What are changing for the mrx 300?

Yamaha 3900 AV Amp for Movies/SACD, but I've also got a Sony 55ES Poweramp / MDAC combo for 2 Channel (which I'll be comparing against the Anthem)

Was very impressed by the Anthem 300 under dealer demo and it held it's own against an Arcam A38/P38 setup in the same room

I'm hoping ARC will sort my room out

Sorry Mods for the O/T chat

Yamaha 3900 AV Amp for Movies/SACD, but I've also got a Sony 55ES Poweramp / MDAC combo for 2 Channel (which I'll be comparing against the Anthem)

Was very impressed by the Anthem 300 under dealer demo and it held it's own against an Arcam A38/P38 setup in the same room

I'm hoping ARC will sort my room out

Sorry Mods for the O/T chat

In which context are they similar? HT or hifi? I cannot believe that an ht ampli can compete with a dedicated hifi amp

In which context are they similar? HT or hifi? I cannot believe that an ht ampli can compete with a dedicated hifi amp

For clarity I'm going back 6 months ago, two separate demo's a few weeks apart and comparing a £2500 Hi-Fi combo with a £1099 AV Receiver.

The Arcam had a bit more clarity and dynamics (although it should have with twice the watts) but there wasn't miles in it to justify over double the cost.

Don't underestimate the room correction of the Anthem brand it's a game changer

You will be delighted

I have had a Yamaha receiver and it was ok with movies and pretty poor with music

The anthem is a step up in both and I could easily live with it for music if I did not have the mdac and meridian

Internal amps are good and more than ok for movies but I am glad I have a "proper" hifi amp for stereo. My obelisk 2 like a bit of power as well

I asked a question the other day which I think has been missed. Has anyone got any info on the forthcoming matching power amp/s for the M-DAC? Whether it will be mono's or stereo and projected cost and performance. I don't want to wait and find out I can't afford them...
Cheers

Can't remember the price and I doubt it's been settled yet.

But so far what is clear is that the M-amps will be in a double height M-dac case and stereo.

They will be based around the 'cross' output circuitry.

They will be bridgeable to mono's for the power hungry (me!).

Each will be capable of about 100W doubling that into the Mono configuration

Plenty of current too and John seems to be very positive about them. (can't find John's original description here)

Apologies to John and Dominic, if I've written crap here.

I have separate systems:
Yamaha rxv-3900 + kef kht 3000 set
Arcam A38 + b&w cm8
Cambridge bd751, marantz na7004 and the MDAC as sources.

The hifi system is light years better than the ht setup for listening music but this is mainly due to the speakers.

Room acoustic correction is a nice and useful feature but the problem is that if you hear 2 channel music on a ht system (6 speakers), the sw algo simply duplicates the stereo signal (I discussed of this with a yamaha product manager) and it is not good for the fidelity of the sound.

Using only two channels of the five available, means that you are using only 2/5 of the total costs of the amp. So made 100 the price of and hifi amp, an ht ht amp with same percormances should cost at least 500 (considering all the sw and features that must be put in an ht amp)

I asked a question the other day which I think has been missed. Has anyone got any info on the forthcoming matching power amp/s for the M-DAC? Whether it will be mono's or stereo and projected cost and performance. I don't want to wait and find out I can't afford them...
Cheers

Hi Glenann,

Sorry for not replying, I did not wish to appear to be promoting our future designs on PFM.

The M-AMP's are 120W per channel stereo unit - which can also be configured for Bi-AMP or Bridge Mode.

I'm designing them to drive the worst load I can think off, which are also the most revealing speakers - the Martin Logan CLSIIz's... We will see (hear) how it goes... The Martin Logan's require serious current to drive them correctly - they reach 0.5 ohms at 20kHz. As they are so revealing (they are like giant headphones - but with real imaging and sound stage) they really reveal issues with the system (Power Amplifiers).

Retail around GBP500 to GBP600

John

mods

can anything related to audiolab MDac or johnW be put in "trade"

this is getting a very tedious advert

JMO

Martin

I think Mark grant might offer some such thing for sale. But it's a couple of years since I looked, it might have been someone else. :(

Thanks, I will do some googling when I get my M-DAC, its primarily for headphone use so was just curious.

Anyone know what interconnect I would need to run M-DAC into 140?

Perhaps Flashback could make up a 4-pin version of one of their attenuated RCA to DIN cables. I've no idea what attenuation you would need though.

Simon.

Has anyone tried running the M-DAC straight in to a Nap 250 or Avondale power amp?

Hi,
I have my MDAC running into my "Phase III, Avondaled NAP 135's". No pre-amp.
Source is SB+ with volume disabled (i.e. set to 100%) playing flac files.

Works very well.

The only real problem is that at the moment the set-up is in a small room which means its rare to get above -20dB's. This may affect the sound quality - not sure as it sounds fine.

Cheers

Ian

I face the same concern: in my setup and room, volume is about -30db for nighttime listening to -20db for daytime listening. Numerous posts (by John and others) suggest putting a -10db in-line attenuator at the power amp's input, but I also read (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0803/rothwell.htm) that attenuators do have a detrimental effect on sound quality.

So question to John, which is preferable:

(1) -30db on the MDAC's digital volume control
(2) use a -10db in-line attenuator
(3) wait for the MPAX and use its built-in -10db attenuator?

Hi,
The only real problem is that at the moment the set-up is in a small room which means its rare to get above -20dB's. This may affect the sound quality - not sure as it sounds fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back