advertisement

MDAC first listen (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If theres room for the stepped attenuator, would there be room for an ADC card? And would there be room for digital domain RIAA (etc) correction. If so, you'd not need the horrors of analogue attenuation. We could then digitise our "legacy" inputs... If anyone can do it, you could?

Hi Jem,

We have a product in the works...

John

John were you involved with the design of the other DAC's Audiolab are offering, I can't remember the discussions ? As what your offering with this M-PAX makes the DQ redundant ? What I do remember is the cost of the DQ is £899 and that it did not offer the CROSS output stage and was therefore not as good sound quality wise. I can see this hitting the DQ sales wise quite badly.

Have you thought about marketing these new products and enhancements as a "signature" type label similar to other third party branding of known audio products ?.

Well like AMG versions of Mercedes?

Later this year we plan to offer upgrade kits for CD/CDQ/DQ based upon a new platform we are working on. Pricewise it only makes since if we offer direct due to distributor and dealer margins that would out price the product.

Its a big difference from selling a GBP399 update kit to one that costs over GBP1500 or so...

John

Hi John!

After ploughing through this thread and reading the reviews I'm perilously close to selling my Technics SP-10 mk.2 and going 100% digital - had enough of all the effort one has to make with vinyl to get the best from it, and want to simply enjoy the music now (runs for cover!).

Currently using the Gigaworks 24/192 dac (tarted up a little) which uses the CS4398 chip. Very pleased with it but feel the MDAC would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Just one question though, in the warmer months I use a Sony TA-F6B amp, which handily allows the pre/power sections to be seperated, so I could make use of the MDACs pre section too. At present though I'm using my pair of rebuilt Quad II amps. They require 1.5v for full output I believe - would the MDAC also be able to work as a pre for these As well or not?

Many thanks!

John

Hi John!

After ploughing through this thread and reading the reviews I'm perilously close to selling my Technics SP-10 mk.2 and going 100% digital - had enough of all the effort one has to make with vinyl to get the best from it, and want to simply enjoy the music now (runs for cover!).

Currently using the Gigaworks 24/192 dac (tarted up a little) which uses the CS4398 chip. Very pleased with it but feel the MDAC would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Just one question though, in the warmer months I use a Sony TA-F6B amp, which handily allows the pre/power sections to be seperated, so I could make use of the MDACs pre section too. At present though I'm using my pair of rebuilt Quad II amps. They require 1.5v for full output I believe - would the MDAC also be able to work as a pre for these As well or not?

Many thanks!

John

The MDAC will work VERY well with the Quads - they are very decent amps. The MDAC can drive upto 3V RMS (+3dB) directly.

I'm not sure I'd sell the turntable though...

John

Hi John!

I would like to have a M-PAX (black version). Are there still units available from the first production batch?

Regards,
Michael

Lucky me :D

No, i did not PM you.

So how does this work anyway? Do you contact us when the units are produced?

Michael

Yes, I'll keep everyone updated with progress - and the first units will be sent out to a couple of users on the Forum - and hoping for positive feedback before I confirm orders :)

John

The MDAC will work VERY well with the Quads - they are very decent amps. The MDAC can drive upto 3V RMS (+3dB) directly.

I'm not sure I'd sell the turntable though...

John

That's great news - thanks very much indeed :)

I know, but I only have about 100 LPs, and in all honesty they're not in the best of shape even after getting the vacuum RCM treatment. I haven't got the time/inclination/money to search out A1 condition vinyl either, or take pot luck with new variable pressings. 90% of my musical is digtal, and for the price I could get for the SP-10 and arm I could probably get both the MDAC and your forthcoming PSU for it too :cool:

I have an older Thorens TD-150 in the loft too just incase I ever get the urge to spin the black stuff ever again. But I need to down-size and cut down on clutter. Your MDAC looks perfect as it incorporates the DAC, a digital pre-amp, and a headphone stage.

In short, I think you've just bagged yourself another customer :D

Best,

- John

That's great news - thanks very much indeed :)

I know, but I only have about 100 LPs, and in all honesty they're not in the best of shape even after getting the vacuum RCM treatment. I haven't got the time/inclination/money to search out A1 condition vinyl either, or take pot luck with new variable pressings. 90% of my musical is digtal, and for the price I could get for the SP-10 and arm I could probably get both the MDAC and your forthcoming PSU for it too :cool:

I have an older Thorens TD-150 in the loft too just incase I ever get the urge to spin the black stuff ever again. But I need to down-size and cut down on clutter. Your MDAC looks perfect as it incorporates the DAC, a digital pre-amp, and a headphone stage.

In short, I think you've just bagged yourself another customer :D

Best,

- John

Well Audiolab has - but Thank you :)

I'd be very interested in how the MDAC works with the Quads :)

John

Well Audiolab has - but Thank you :)

I'd be very interested in how the MDAC works with the Quads :)

John

I shall report back on that in due course in this thread :)

Just need to transfer a few LPs to 24/96 files, then put the SP-10 for sale on here. Hopefully in another month I'll be in a position to purchase one... if theres any left :eek:

Best,

- John

Hi Sam,

The software with the "Lock update" improvements should help to resolve this,

John

I have the same problem with my 8200 CDQ. Where may I download the software with the "Lock update"? Will the software also work for 8200 CDQ? Thanks.

Hi John.

I would like to selflessly volunteer myself and my Mdac as the third tester of the new toy.

It's obviously a tough task but someone has to be brave. ;)

Here's a pic of my Mdac in situ, if only the kids would allow me more listening time for a full review........ from the perspective of a previous Pink Triangle owner, i am not dis pleased in the slightest, my cap is doffed.

P1010352.jpg

Nice setup!!! Is that a Ming Da MC-7R I spy on the top? Rokson CD transport too? Lovely looking system and I bet it sounds superb!

- John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back