advertisement

MDAC first listen (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: has anyone got both an MDAC and a CDQ running from the same source (e.g. USB)? I'm wondering whether I can simply run a very long USB cable from the Mac Mini to an MDAC for headphone listening duties, rather than keeping my Squeezebox Classic (which was my plan). It would liberate perhaps £100 and simplify my system more, but I don't want to do this if it's going to get complicated or unreliable*.

System is Mac Mini running OSX 10.7.2 using iTunes with PureMusic, currently connected via USB to the CDQ.

why keep a squeezebox classic if you have a mac mini you can put near the DAC?

The squeezebox (at least the 3 I had - cant speak for more recent models) makes a crappy sounding transport.

Bottleneck, I already have a CDQ and for reasons of vinyl and cd replay I want to keep that. So, the Mini will connect to that via USB but I'm wanting to add the MDAC as a headphone amp but ideally connect it too via USB. I'm not even sure if that's possible, to tell the truth, hence the post.

What I'd hope is that the Mini:iTunes:pureMusic can output to both simultaneously, or failing that, can easily switch between them.

It's somewhat moot now as, um, er, I might have, ah, well, how can I put this... er, put my money down for an MDAC............ my wife's gonna kill me :)

Have i missed something...., i find very little discussion about the audio qualities of the DAC,say against Benchmark and friends

Well i've recently tried the Rega Dac, a Cyrus Dac and the Naim Dac in my system. The Naim was easily the best of that bunch, but the MDAC is easily on par with the Naim Dac and sounds the closest to a good quality vinyl set up as i've ever heard from a digital source.

So, anyone care to comment on how it sounds? ;)

I've heard it twice properly, in the same system. The first time I was quite impressed; however, the second time I was less impressed as I heard a piece of music I had only just listened to at home and found the sound to be too soft and laid back. I can't help but wonder if much of the improvement I initially heard was more down to the fact that the DAC replaced the pre-amp in that system, rather than it's absolute quality as a DAC.

I've heard it twice properly, in the same system. The first time I was quite impressed; however, the second time I was less impressed as I heard a piece of music I had only just listened to at home and found the sound to be too soft and laid back. I can't help but wonder if much of the improvement I initially heard was more down to the fact that the DAC replaced the pre-amp in that system, rather than it's absolute quality as a DAC.

I think maybe its the other way round, the MDAC used as a pre-amp in my system sounds soft and un-dynamic compared to using it through my pre-amp.

I think maybe its the other way round, the MDAC used as a pre-amp in my system sounds soft and un-dynamic compared to using it through my pre-amp.

I can't comment on the MDAC but I've not noticed a big difference in dynamic capability between the AVI Lab Series preamp and the CDQ. The CDQ *is* ahead overall though, but that could be as much because one was driving the Adams using unbalanced and t'other with balanced connections.

What's the best way to integrate the M-DAC into my current system?

HK8500 AV Amp (Used as a 2 Channel power amp driving the front speakers) into the Pre-out of my Yamaha 3900 Amp

My sources are SB Touch & Oppo 83 BDP

Bottleneck, I already have a CDQ and for reasons of vinyl and cd replay I want to keep that. So, the Mini will connect to that via USB but I'm wanting to add the MDAC as a headphone amp but ideally connect it too via USB. I'm not even sure if that's possible, to tell the truth, hence the post.

The CDQ makes a superb headphone amp, and once the upgrades are available it should surpass the MDAC (if I understand correctly).

:)

I'm not sure about which upgrades you mean, but the big problem with the CDQ in my system is where it has to be located, rather than anything about its sound. Which is partly why I'm forced into considering a DAC/Headamp (because the CDQ itself has no tape-loop and I need the pre-outs for the active speakers)

My Harman HK990 (I doubt the two are related) was hugely improved by using the pre-in to power amps. Try both?

TBF my post was a bit ambigous.

My current setup is HK8500 as a poweramp into the Yamaha 3900 (which basically acts as my preamp for my sources)

What's the best way to connect the MDAC into my system?

MDAC analogue OUT > Yamaha 3900 Multi-Channel INPUT

SB Touch COAX OUTPUT > MDAC COAX INPUT 1

OPPO 83 COAX OUTPUT > MDAC COAX INPUT 2

Virgin TIVO OPTICAL OUTPUT > MDAC OPT 1

The above is only an illustration (and it may be wrong) as Im looking for guidance/clarification before I turn it on (dont want to break the MDAC before I get to hear it) :D

Did you ever get the attenuators?

You were running the Mdac preamp at -35 (I think you said?)
Then you would likely not be getting the full whack as it were.

Certainly I tried mine into y actice speakers without the attenuators at about -43 to -36 and it was indeed a little thin. But with the attenuators in and the volume up to -22 to -18 it's a different beast altogether. Dynamic certainly but now with extra body...erm...you know what I mean...

I'm not sure about which upgrades you mean, but the big problem with the CDQ in my system is where it has to be located, rather than anything about its sound. Which is partly why I'm forced into considering a DAC/Headamp (because the CDQ itself has no tape-loop and I need the pre-outs for the active speakers)

Yo John!

The upgrades mentioned are by JW and Dominic's new company and will not be available until at least Q3 of next year. They intend to leapfrog (John's words) the Mdac sound quality. Cool eh?

BTW, now my Adams have run in the Mdac is showing a clean pair of heels to the CDQ. But oddly enough the CDQ is still sounding fabulous and I could happily live with either.

TBF my post was a bit ambigous.

My current setup is HK8500 as a poweramp into the Yamaha 3900 (which basically acts as my preamp for my sources)

What's the best way to connect the MDAC into my system?

MDAC analogue OUT > Yamaha 3900 Multi-Channel INPUT

SB Touch COAX OUTPUT > MDAC COAX INPUT 1

OPPO 83 COAX OUTPUT > MDAC COAX INPUT 2

Virgin TIVO OPTICAL OUTPUT > MDAC OPT 1

The above is only an illustration (and it may be wrong) as Im looking for guidance/clarification before I turn it on (dont want to break the MDAC before I get to hear it) :D

Hi Strocky.

The Mdac has no analogue out. All digital.

What you could do here is input everything as you said into the Mdac and then turn off the Pre-amp facility, leaving it as a stand alone dac. Then into the Yam pre it goes.

Or if at all possible leave out the yamaha alltogether and lob the Pre-amp enabled Mdac straight into the HK power amp.

If you decide on the power amp only route Please MAKE sure the Mdac is in pre-amp mode and the volume turned down a tad. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back