advertisement

MDAC first listen (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent the last few days just listening to music and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Tried the bit perfect file early on and it worked np on itunes but never could get it to work with VLC (on an old iMac G5 and on a Dell Mini 9 with Macos). VLC just failed to trigger the test start no matter what I tried.

I've stuck with VLC and decided to worry about bit perfect layer once i get around to deciding which media player to settle on.

Have to say the ergonomics of the MDAC are in my mind first rate. Tbf I dont have other DAC experience, but the ability to use the 'transport' control buttons on the remote with the Mac software is a big & unexpected plus for me.

No doubt when settling on a media player I'll need to factor in iPad/iPhone app support as well. Maybe at that stage the MDAC remote becomes superflous?

Done a bit more listening and found I prefer the sound when using my Tag Mclaren PA20R than using the MDAC as a pre amp.

THe sound through the pre amp is much more dynamic and full, while using the DAC is more detailed and refined but less dynamic and full.

Any one else found the same?
Is this because of the digital volume control?

Using the MDAC as a pre amp i never really got over around -35db on the dial, while using my own pre amp the output is at 0db.

Done a bit more listening and found I prefer the sound when using my Tag Mclaren PA20R than using the MDAC as a pre amp.

THe sound through the pre amp is much more dynamic and full, while using the DAC is more detailed and refined but less dynamic and full.

Any one else found the same?
Is this because of the digital volume control?

Using the MDAC as a pre amp i never really got over around -35db on the dial, while using my own pre amp the output is at 0db.

Yes ive sort of found the same although i do find the MDAC is fairly dynamic but controlled with it.
I cant help but think there is a noticeable difference (obviously there is a difference!) between using the Dac at -30 and -20 or -10db, the later settings with less attenuation seems fuller, but maybe its just me listening to it louder! ;)

In fact i'd say its better to leave the MDAC volume control around -20db and use the slider in windows to alter the volume control (obviously some people wont have this option).
Going to pick up one of the new Dacmagics with volume control next week so will be interesting to see how they compare.

I believe the attenuation in ITunes is nor properly dithered, I would advise against using it, a properly dithered attenuator is completely transparent, preamps nearly always 'add' something to the sound and some listeners my well prefer that addition.
Keith.

Im not using Itunes, im using the volume slider in Windows (wave), this is how i used it with past and even at 1/4 volume i cant detect a change or less detail in the sound other than it being quieter.

Sorry Space ,do you know if the attenuation in Windows is properly dithered?
Keith.

Probably not! lol. *But like you have found out (and me) using the volume control in the computer is more transparent than having any preamp in the chain, despite the loss of bits.

Like youve put in the other post you might like what the preamp does to the sound and i think in some set-ups a preamp is preferable for whatever reason.
You tried the MDAC yet Keith?

* Although im guessing your using Ammarra (if that's what its called) or similar. :)

Space yes I prefer no preamp, but it entirely individual taste, a neighbour has the Mdac and bought it around last week, it sounded good,I wil ask him to bring it over again.
I use the attenutor in Amarra or more usually the one in the Weiss .
KR Keith.

I also prefer using the pre amp in my krell. I'm sure if you digitaly reduce the volume you get quantise errors. Remember reading something about this on sound on sound. Anyway I have the mdac set to pre amp disabled and the longer I'm using it the better it gets :)

I've spent the last few days just listening to music and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Tried the bit perfect file early on and it worked np on itunes but never could get it to work with VLC (on an old iMac G5 and on a Dell Mini 9 with Macos). VLC just failed to trigger the test start no matter what I tried.

I've stuck with VLC and decided to worry about bit perfect layer once i get around to deciding which media player to settle on.

Have to say the ergonomics of the MDAC are in my mind first rate. Tbf I dont have other DAC experience, but the ability to use the 'transport' control buttons on the remote with the Mac software is a big & unexpected plus for me.

No doubt when settling on a media player I'll need to factor in iPad/iPhone app support as well. Maybe at that stage the MDAC remote becomes superflous?

Could you let me know how you managed to test for bit perfect using itunes please? Pretty please?

I failed miserably and I dont even know if I played or downloaded the right file!!

Cheers.

download the bit perfect javascript, run it, find the two files it just made, load them into itunes, click the button on the mdac to start the test- then play one of the files.

Could you let me know how you managed to test for bit perfect using itunes please? Pretty please?

I failed miserably and I dont even know if I played or downloaded the right file!!

Cheers.

from memory it went something like put the MDAC into test mode and waiting for the playback to start. Go to the file in finder and right click on it (or ctl click if single button mouse) then select 'open in itunes'. MDAC then displays something like 'passing' and continues as long as you play the file. I had my amp turned off to protect the speakers. Dont remember if there was more to it than that. Let me know if that doesnt work and will try it again and post the exact steps.

Lo rt and sq. Thank you for the help, done it now.

It read 'passing' all the way to the end then said it failed. I take it this means it passed really?

Lo rt and sq. Thank you for the help, done it now.

It read 'passing' all the way to the end then said it failed. I take it this means it passed really?

According to Dominik in an earlier post:

"...play the test track from the beginning - almost immediately the display should change to Passing Test and should remain like that until the end of the track or any other interruption upon which the display will say Failed Test. It is normal to get Failed Test at the end of the test track or when you forcibly stop it, however you should not see it under any other circumstances."

...I take it this means it passed really?
Yes - some players go a bit squiffy at the very last moment...for instance, they perform a nice fade out for the final 100mS or so, and for this 100mS the output is, quite correctly, detected as not bit perfect!

Aha! Thanks to both of you. I like to know the why's of things.

Good to know all's good too. Amazing machine.

Cheers.

Have i missed something...., i find very little discussion about the audio qualities of the DAC,say against Benchmark and friends

Well, I demo'd the DAC1 HDR against the CDQ and chose the CDQ though either unit is very very capable. The MDAC is meant to be better than the CDQ so I would therefore conclude that it is better than the DAC1 HDR.

@UKSwede - from my listening, it beats the Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10 and HRT Streamer II+. Wider soundstage, clearer presentation, much better functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back