advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those contributors not on Facebook, JohnW received the latest transformer and face and back plate samples last week and was happy with all three, so progress continues.
Is it still on track for the Munich show? Would be nice if John would update this thread or send me email updates like he promised but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Jareks been in hospital for the past 3 weeks - arrived back home today, so this has really thrown our plans (I've delayed my HK trip) - I'm not certain how quickly Jarek will be back online making it harder to plan ahead.

Good news, we have the front and rear panel samples (pictures on FB) + the latest Audio transformers.

The Front / Rear panels are about 95% correct just a few tweaks requiresd (the MDAC chassis does not match the drawings) - but the panels are workable in there current form.

Update on progress on the Analog PCB - I updated the DAC array design and clock interface circuit to the Array - happy with the way its looking.

I'm currently working on the PSU selections to the Discrete DAC Array (The Array PSU critically effects the sound quality). DD2A design has no Active analogue stage (only simple passive resistors, Relays, Transformers and capacitors) - however the Array PSU's (4 per channel) are in effect directly in the analogue signal path so are more complex then typical regulators with attention paid to their dynamic and noise performance. Adding to tot he complexity, the voltage regulator that powers the discrete DAC Array output buffers is variable to allow fine level control (level control between the larger the 6dB stepped attenuator "Steps").

Last edited:
WRT Jarek, thank you for the best wishes, I just spoke with Jarek and he's back home - apparently it will take "Up to 6 months" to fully recover - but the poor guy will be "contained" near his computer allowing him to work on the designs... He went in for a routine procedure which was botched, which then required an emergency operation and the following 3 week extended stay in hospital!!! :(

His first task as he slowly gets back up and running is to design the PCB for the Front panel so that the 3rd party software company can start the development of the front panel "UI" software. The front panel PCB itself is quite simple, but we also have to design a development PCB which interfaces to the front panel with a CM3 module, Memory, USB / network etc. - Emulating the MDAC2 sub-system so that the software company has a "working" system for development.

Under the circumstances its hard to say how long this will take - hopefully no more then 2-3 weeks...

Sorry to hear about Jarek, I hope he makes a fast and complete recovery. I’m assuming this means there’ll be nothing to show at Munich.

Sorry to hear about Jarek, I hope he makes a fast and complete recovery. I’m assuming this means there’ll be nothing to show at Munich.

I'm working on the MDAC2 Analogue board PCB - I'm hoping to have this ready (atleast a basic spin) by Munich.

By basic spin I mean the DAC array, Basic Clock, Array PSU's so we can atleast have a first real listen (in the lab) of the core DD2A technology...

Also the mechanical / front panel with display will be ready by Munich...

Last night I completed the second of 3 discrete regulators for the DAC Array section (left Channel), now starting to work on the 3rd and most complex regulator this week.

As the Analogue board progress, we now can see where the connector interfacing the Digital board is going to be positioned allowing us to now size the Modulator and Digital PCB.

The user upgradable modulator PCB's are 94mm x 60mm and initially there will be two modulator / digital filter versions released - one with the PMD200 HDCD digital filter.

The modulator PCB can be swapped by removing the front panel - the Modulator / filter PCB connects between the rear Digital PCB and front panel (the Front panel signals pass though the modulator PCB).

I hope tomorrow to be able to release the front panel PCB's and a dummy digital PCB files which will allow us to verify the correct mechanical connector placement on the digital PCB / CNC milling of the rear panel. We will express these PCB's so a dummy unit can be ready fro Munich.

Once the Front Panel PCB arrive and are built, then we can start the UI software development - tomorrow I have a meeting with the software team :)

PCB ordered today - hopefully they should arrive before I leave for Munich so i can build a dummy cosmetic unit for the show :)

I'll be attending Munich from Wednesday evening to Saturday - be great to catch up and discuss the MDAC2 Developments and show the dummy unit :)

Last edited:
I'll be attending Munich from Wednesday evening to Saturday - be great to catch up and discuss the MDAC2 Developments and show the dummy unit :)
Looking forward to catch up. Who will else will be there?

I will arrive Thursday evening and leave Sunday morning. I am staying at the Rilano 24/7.

And John it would be nice to have a cover for my DAC, if you can find it. I am still running the DAC and streamer without cover.

Yes I know covers are for cowards :)

Rune,

Sadly I'm not staying in the Rilano 24/7 this year :( I'll be staying at the Mercure Hotel, Munchen Schwabing - which apparently is 1.5km away but I'll be driving so no problem to pop over to meet. The Rilano 24/7 is much nicer hotel with free parking on the street around the rear.

Sure, already have your Lid ready :)

Ian and MA will also be around... looking forward to meeting you next week :)

JohnW, hello and apologies to you the readers and PFM that I don't have time to read all the posts on these MDAC devices. I have a standard MDAC with an electrosound PSU (I am using silver wire for line levels and even speaker ribbon cable ://) that I bought second hand (shame about the PSU socket just a little or something??) but with firmware 0.99/0.97 it sounds great with my Primare A30.1 AmP, standard Elac F5.0 floor standers (good drivers! ex demos) and I am quite happy with it.
I did read with interest your post a year or so ago that the DAC chips in the device are not as good as say a Dacapo dac. I use Tidal mainly and am well aware that most releases are still redbook and perhaps Tidal Master quality (I am not into MQA nor DSD - the hardware as you will know can outpace the performance of Artist recording studios -- and in the end I think 24bit 48000hz releases somewhere or other might be nice). When I don't use Tidal I normally listen to FLAC.

I have some questions if you don't mind:

1) You mentioned that an MDAC 2 unit should be ready for the Munich show which I believe is 12 October 2019. Is this correct? Have you any idea how much it might cost and how it may be ordered?
2) Would it be possible () that the MDAC 2 could use the same Electrosound PSU that my MDAC 1 uses currently?
3) Are you happy with the firmware for your choice of DAC chip for the MDAC 2, PSU and wiring aside in and of the units? I would not expect you and the team to use covered silver internal wire for production units.
4) With my current MDAC, which is a marvel with the external PSU (IEC input, mine is beaded) what firmware would you recommend for best PC AT sound quality from the RCA outputs, and which for a good pair of headphones? It has a very good headphone amplifier to my ears but in changing from 1.08 or so to 0.99 the headphone output is quite a lot more sharp[z]. For the benefit of other M-DAC owners the change of firmware from 1.08(?) to 0.99(?) has immensely improved the sound of my room.

Good day and thank you for your time. Please do expand on the above as you wish you are an expert, the WIKI is back up today and thanks for your commitment to digital audio repro

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back