advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FDAC L2 £400 - 09/02/16 to Dominik Pekio
Detox £50 - as above

Moved house twice life gone to pot, no paper trail only detox emails about choosing the psu plug form. Having to compile Paypal history into PDF as it's been so long and its not on the website.

I have a Gustard A20H now, I scraped the IR beam and wrote an android app for the IR blaster, im happy enough with that (& moodeaudio) to see me out, if refunds are ever available ill take that.

Hi Tony

I invested approx £4000-5000 for VFETs, FDAC and DETOX (of which I am one of those who still want to get one, even if it has a shoebox for a case!).
I could trawl through endless bank statements to find exact dates & figures but 1) it is unlikely to get me anywhere and 2 ) I foresee would only make me angry/frustrated. I've written off my investment but like others I hope to one day recieve something...
Kevin.

I’m in for £500 for the whatever dac and £50 for the detox.
To save time understanding who has received anything, the short answer is that with the exception of the (prototype?) streamer, no one has received anything. The streamer is of no consequence, except for Project, who are presumably grateful.

Tony before you remove the thread is there any way it can be archived. At some (ahem) point the precise facts might be relevant.
As far as I’m concerned this project failed about 3-4 years ago. Since then there has been a dwindling group of people who seem to believe that anything much is going on, with the rest cycling through the various stages of grief. Of course something is supposedly almost ready, as it always is.

If you can manage to get anything back a place in heaven awaits.

This escalation has come at a very unfortunate time for me, for reasons I'd rather not document in public:

My personal exposure is as follows:
VFET £2300
MDAC development costs £200
Detox £50 (I was the first to pay! 28th August 2015)
MDAC donor chassis £370 - (ironically I could buy a working MDAC for less now)

Total £2920

Until very recently I was happy to run with the project, and wait for the final result, but waiting may not be an option for me now, and my family could really do with a working solution as we have lived with a compromised system for several years waiting for the nirvana I may not get to experience now.

Tony before you remove the thread is there any way it can be archived. At some (ahem) point the precise facts might be relevant.

No threads are getting removed. All the ‘MDAC first listen....’ threads will remain, but they will be locked and not taking any more posts. The new thread will take over for all future active content. My aim is simply to make things far clearer, not to remove anything.

As far as I can tell the whole of the MDAC2 development process remains in the archive from the announcement of the project on this page here (post 245). Obviously my thread-splits numbering convention doesn’t help as I switched to binary once I ran out of roman numerals I knew! All the relevant stuff is, as far as I can tell, still here though if you are prepared to really deep dive. I advise folk don’t waste huge amounts of time until they’ve read the new thread when it goes up on Thursday as many of the key stages on these old threads are indexed/linked to in the hope of making the overall timeline much more understandable, i.e. what you are looking for may well have been timelined/linked already.

A lot of work Tony and a credit to you, it would be easy for you just to close all these threads and save the time and hassle. Kudos.

@JemHayward - if I’m reading your post correctly it really puts all this in perspective. (I hope I’m not reading it correctly to be honest).

.sjb

Tony, your efforts are much appreciated!

To answer your earlier question, I haven't received anything. I think that applies to everyone. I do believe some streamer boards were produced at one point. These were not part of the main project, but I think they did become part of another Project.

My payments so far is £6755 and I have received one MiniStreamer so the balance is £6570.

I will wait this out and give John the time he needs to finish and deliver.

I agree that additional pressure is unlikely to help us, hence, I'm willing to wait it out... I believe John will come through. Nonetheless, I can also see the viewpoint of those who have invested significant sums and/or run out of patience. It's a tricky situation.

I think Discovery's A,B,C proposal above, is a good idea and an investor only thread would be very helpful!

Last edited:
There's a small batch of people, like me, who paid to have their original MDACs upgraded to what was known as the Toy or Fusion spec. I received an upgraded Toy MDAC from John, and was very pleased with what I got for my money at the time.

I m in for 2885 GBP
MDAC L2 --> 400
Mini Streamer --> 185
VFET --> 2300

Edit: MDAC L2 is in fact MDAC2 L2

Last edited:
@Tony, as far as I know, the Toy or Fusion MDAC(1)s, including the so-called L2 and L3 MDACs, have all been delivered and not relevant for the new thread you're creating, which is about the MDAC2, the more recently announced MDAC1.5, the Detox device, and the VFET amplifier, plus the associated options (streamer)

@Tony, as far as I know, the Toy or Fusion MDAC(1)s, including the so-called L2 and L3 MDACs, have all been delivered and not relevant for the new thread you're creating...

I'm aware of a handful of 'Toy/Fusion' DACs being delivered, but not any L2/L3 ones as they were different cost options for the MDAC2.

My recollection is that the MDAC 2 sprang from the impracticality, due to the time involved, of upgrading existing MDACs to the 'Toy' specification.

And let's just remember that MDAC1.5 is not a product any of us signed up for and there has not to my knowledge, (maybe it's on Facebook), ever been a list of the functions it will provide.

Let us also remember that MDAC2 was the initial project and it moved to FDAC (there was a poll of the investors to decide this) after John made it pretty clear MDAC2 was not something he wanted to do. Read it here post 490:

***********************************************************************************************************
"LakeWest will become a sub-brand of miniDSP, so visiting the miniDSP website you will see the LakeWest logo on the RH corner, and our own area on the website.

miniDSP gain our expertise in Analogue / Digital while we gain miniDSP's sales, manufacturing, shipping, support etc. AND most importantly miniDSP's portfolio and experience in DSP. I see this as win win situation for both parties, a perfect Fusion of skills and IP.

I want to remain focused design "reference" products - not operate a company (could you imagine the results), the miniDSP team is motivated, keen, talented, well managed and above all I'm very happy to be in partnership with them.

The LakeWest "Fusion Dac" as we are tentatively calling it will be commercially available BUT at a much increased cost - it will be sold at industry standard margins - so PFM'er will be getting a bargain :)

PFM members did after all face the twist and turns of this project and shoulder the RISK! I'll also personally build and test each PFM unit and install the Vishay Bulk foils etc. which will not be available on the "commercial" unit.

Personally, I'll be very sad to see the end of the project as the MDAC2 and PFM has been my life for the past 4 years :) - that said we will be releasing constant firmware / software updates for many years, but still the major part of the project will soon be completed :( / :)
*******************************************************************************************************************

and here post 605.

************************************************************************************************************************
"The original aim of this project was to design a much improved MDAC - the best DAC I could design at a reasonable price. I'm NOT prepared to compromise 4 years of work just to squeeze the design into an unsuitable enclosure - it simply does not make sense. Why would anyone want a lessor unit - is the small footprint more important then sound quality and features?

If the vote goes for the MDAC chassis - then I'll build the "second rate unit" wash my hands of it and concentrate on the FWC version for the future - second best is not good enough for me!

The primary goal is for the best sound DAC for the money - NOT that its has to be squeezed into a small chassis - for me its simply about the sound quality."

***************************************************************************************************************

There have never been any other votes or agreements by the majority of the investors to change the path of the project.
Any other changes to the path have been made solely by John and have not been approved by the investors.

John needs to deliver what was agreed by the majority of the investors - A full width DAC with versions Lite, L2, L3 or L3 with MM/MC, as detailed on his web page at the start of the project, at somewhere near the ballpark costs he quoted at the start of the project.

If he either cannot, or is unwilling, to supply this he needs to ask the investors if they are willing to accept something different.
If investors don't want to accept the "something different" then they need to be fully refunded.

@Tony, as far as I know, the Toy or Fusion MDAC(1)s, including the so-called L2 and L3 MDACs, have all been delivered and not relevant for the new thread you're creating, which is about the MDAC2, the more recently announced MDAC1.5, the Detox device, and the VFET amplifier, plus the associated options (streamer)

Toy and Fusion happened before the MDAC 2 and FDAC discussion, and from memory/what I saw at the time every single one was delivered. Before that JohnW was offering MDac+ which was a simpler set of upgrades than Toy/Fusion.

Upgrading to Toy or Fusion spec was labour intensive, so JohnW stopped offering them and started discussion of something further, a replacement board for existing MDac that would upgrade it beyond what Fusion/Toy could offer and would be a direct replacement for the PCB. Possible to DIY or at cost ship to JohnW for him to upgrade and test.
There was then some flitting back and forth with full width board being needed due to space constraints, which led to the birth of the FDac. This was to be a fully featured mega option that would be the best of the best with no compromises due to space.

MDac2 became split into many versions with many different options... L2, L3, L3+MM/MC plus a number of sub options around streamers, DSP etc.
Then along came MiniDSP discussions which was very exciting... but having seen a conversation with the miniDSP people not that long ago on another forum they havent spoken to John in some time. No sign of ANY mention of lakewest on their website (googling for it the only mention I can find of the two together in the same place is on these forums by John/others in these threads)

This is all from memory, so may not be perfect, but I have been in it from the start and own the only Mdac Toy DC+ (Toy setup and converted for 5 channel dc input). It sounds amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back