advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon
I’m asking John about the MDAC2 not the MDAC. I think you can probably work out why . . .

Simon
I’m asking John about the MDAC2 not the MDAC. I think you can probably work out why . . .
I'm also interested; I have a feeling that John did post something about this a while back, but I can't remember any details, other than that it sounded more complex than the 5-rail solution for the old MDAC. Has anybody a better memory?

I had a meeting today WRT Detox so the production status might change in the next couple of weeks - I might have a route to financing the production.

That's encouraging, John. :)

As previously indicated by me, I would be willing to front additional money if (1) I knew it was a definite and (2) what the final cost would be.

I'm also interested; I have a feeling that John did post something about this a while back, but I can't remember any details, other than that it sounded more complex than the 5-rail solution for the old MDAC. Has anybody a better memory?

Mine is poor and getting worse, but iirc an awful lot of development time has gone into the quietest possible power rails for each section, so that MDAC2 can be powered from the original MDAC brick without compromising the end result.

(Maybe JohnW will confirm that the FDAC psu only makes sense if combined with the ultimate clock and component options?)

Mine is poor and getting worse, but iirc an awful lot of development time has gone into the quietest possible power rails for each section, so that MDAC2 can be powered from the original MDAC brick without compromising the end result.

(Maybe JohnW will confirm that the FDAC psu only makes sense if combined with the ultimate clock and component options?)
Yeah but I'm sure he said he was struggling as the MDAC2 PSU demand is greater than the brick can deliver. Since he will obviously have to solve this why bother trying to pre-empt with a DIY PSU until at least the MDAC2 is complete and manufactured?

My plan is that the basic MDAC2 build operates from the original MDAC AC adapter - the more advanced builds will required larger PSU - as a stop gap, I'm thinking dual PSU's, 1 the original PSU and a second to power the streamer section.

Ian,

There is no simple answer as I need to know which version you are interested in - if the full Monty FDAC build PCB then 4x15V DC at 1A for each rail - there is no Negative rail, all PSU rails are Positive.

Ian,

There is no simple answer as I need to know which version you are interested in - if the full Monty FDAC build PCB then 4x15V DC at 1A for each rail - there is no Negative rail, all PSU rails are Positive.

John, is there any tolerance re the 15v - would 13.2v work?

Back for what has now stretched to a quarterly review of 'progress'. For the record, I still want the external detox for which I signed up maybe 4? years ago. I don't care what case it is in and would cheerfully accept it uncased. But like others, I would like it before I die.

Hi John,

If it helps, I am also still interested in getting a detox. I don't care too much about the case, but I would need a case of some sort...
Cheers,
KevinNZ.

It's a Rasberry Pi based streamer, with a FIFO (First in First Out) solution,built in isolator and clock board. It has a dual mono ESS 9038 DAC board with options to use Lundahl transformers or OP/amps
for the output stage.
The power supply is LifePO4 battery pack supplying 4 rails of the cleanest DC, mounted onto a smart battery management system.

Apart from soldering the batteries it is basically plug and play, all in for around £ 550.
(ignoring the case :))
Ian has spent some 7 years developing this in his spare time.
Group Buy is open now but will soon sell out.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gro...us-i2s-pdif-fifo-kit-buy-243.html#post5111232

Better view of the Pi DAC stack here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135181977@N06/45914001962/in/photostream/lightbox/

Fully balanced and works from an Apple remote.

It's a Rasberry Pi based streamer, with a FIFO (First in First Out) solution,built in isolator and clock board. It has a dual mono ESS 9038 DAC board with options to use Lundahl transformers or OP/amps
for the output stage.
The power supply is LifePO4 battery pack supplying 4 rails of the cleanest DC, mounted onto a smart battery management system.

Apart from soldering the batteries it is basically plug and play, all in for around £ 550.
(ignoring the case :))
Ian has spent some 7 years developing this in his spare time.
Group Buy is open now but will soon sell out.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gro...us-i2s-pdif-fifo-kit-buy-243.html#post5111232

Better view of the Pi DAC stack here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135181977@N06/45914001962/in/photostream/lightbox/

Fully balanced and works from an Apple remote.

There's a couple of Scandinavian chaps on another bulletin board who are modifying the Pi power inputs on the board itself. Basically, even if you supply a clean 5v supply to the Pi it then splits it into - from memory - around 3v and 1.5v for different sections of the board (not just via the GPIO pins). Being a deliberately simple design, the quality of these modified voltages are not so good. The Scandinavians circumvent this weakness by cutting tracks on the board and supplying the correct, clean lower voltages from their external supply directly to the right sections. And it is the best sounding Pi I have heard, having played it back-to-back with my other Pi solutions.

So, we can all agree that a great power supply can make an audible difference but increased performance can be achieved by addressing all the voltages required.

Last edited:
I should point out that the simplest, cheapest sound mod to obtain an audible enhancement for a Pi is simply to put a clean 5v on to pin 4 of the GPIO pins and use pin 6 as the ground (this obviates the need to use the micro-USB socket).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back