advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the M Scaler marketing BS. one million Tap-filters that is impossible to do on a computer and the fact that DSD is always converted to PCM.

Discrete DAC's is now the cutting edge ;)
What a nerve you have accusing Chord of BS! Their DACs exist. You can buy them. Or not. They work. But the BS that has been spun about the MDAC 2/1.34/FDAC or whatever it is and its delivery dates and its capabilities will never be surpassed in the history of BS.

The ‘tap’ thing isn’t bullshit just inaudible, and the Chord DACs measure well, I am not sure why their designer gets involved in the marketing , when he is clearly competent .
Keith

But the BS that has been spun about the MDAC 2/1.34/FDAC or whatever it is and its delivery dates ....

I wouldn't call it BS, since that implies deliberate intent. OTOH the saga does occasionally seem to nod in the direction of Lewis Carroll.

I wouldn't call it BS, since that implies deliberate intent. OTOH the saga does occasionally seem to nod in the direction of Lewis Carroll.

.. I want to send you photo of the board but I can’t use a mobile phone and the camera on my wife’s phone is broken and I’m waiting for a replacement lens and when it came the dog ate the postman ...

The ‘tap’ thing isn’t bullshit just inaudible, and the Chord DACs measure well, I am not sure why their designer gets involved in the marketing , when he is clearly competent .
Keith
I'd be interested to know if you've actually heard any Chord products or are you just going by 'measurements' posted on ASR? Having listened to Chord's new Hugo TT 2 with and without M Scaler, IME you'd have to have cloth ears not to hear the difference between the two. Whether this is due to the increase from 98,000 taps to 1,000,000 taps is of course up for debate, but unless M Scaler is performing some other kind of magic that I'm not of aware of then there isn't much else to attribute the subjective improvement to.

I'd be interested to know if you've actually heard any Chord products or are you just going by 'measurements' posted on ASR? Having listened to Chord's new Hugo TT 2 with and without M Scaler, IME you'd have to have cloth ears not to hear the difference between the two. Whether this is due to the increase from 98,000 taps to 1,000,000 taps is of course up for debate, but unless M Scaler is performing some other kind of magic that I'm not of aware of then there isn't much else to attribute the subjective improvement to.
No one is saying that the M Scaler does not work. It is just an expensive way of achieving what you can do with HQPlayer for much less.
And HQPlayer can do so much more incl. convolution. The downside with HQ player is that it gets rather technical and the server cannot be hidden in a nice little shiny box.
Will be interesting how it sounds with the MDAC2.

I've just jumped in the time-machine and gone forward in time to get the actual date of delivery of the MDAC2, i'd have brought one back with me, but it would mess with the space/time paradox so i've left well alone.

Thanks for the lineup!
It would be nice to have a time table, too. Maybe it's easier for you to give us one with dates relative to each other than a fixed one.

"Internal Rubidium Atomic Clock": Could you say something about this solution and the differences / added value to "MDAC2 Advanced Clock Option 2"

Since I asked for everyone and to get a decision basis, here is my desired config:
  • FDAC (including option "MDAC2 Advanced Clock Option 2" and "MDAC2 Tube") - Full Width case
  • Internal HQ PSU, Buffered / Non Buffered Headphone Output
  • Various modulator options (user swapable) - advanced FPGA versions released over time.
  • HDCD PMD200
  • Vishay Bulk foil resistor: Depents on the costs: I suspect there will be several stages of this development.
Does it make sense / is it a simplification for you if we put together a spreadsheet with the desired configs?
Makes total sense...

I've just jumped in the time-machine and gone forward in time to get the actual date of delivery of the MDAC2, i'd have brought one back with me, but it would mess with the space/time paradox so i've left well alone.

It looks more like a Chord Hugo 2142. Must be a 3 channel DAC and the light on top is shows that you can feed it with different sample rates.

Coughcoughexpectationbiascough...
Not in this case as I had no skin in the game. I cannot justify spending that kind of money on hifi kit given my income, but it doesn't prevent me from giving credit where credit is due!

FWIW I genuinely believe I suffer from the opposite of so-called 'expectation bias' ('negative expectation bias'?), because often when I make a tweak/upgrade to my system I think it sounds worse than before, only to find that when I revert back to its previous state there is usually no audible change all. This was recently the case when I swapped out a cheap unbranded 20AWG/24AWG USB cable for a Belkin Gold Series 20AWG/24AWG USB cable, and when I fitted sorbothane isolators under each hifi component. In fact as the cost of the 'upgrade' increases, my expectations of said 'upgrade' also increases, hence the reason why you won't find many expensive upgrade/tweaks in my system!

There is nothing remotely funny about a 5-year wait. Still that fuse thread is almost worth the wait. Almost.

I think time and developments with other technology have now left this project standing. Rob Watts’ designs are way ahead now, imho...
So you have full knowledge of John’s design and also fully understand it? What a ridiculous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back