advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
like all Johns estimates, another pretty worthless figure

I'd say 50% have remained decent since the start of this project

I guess the above makes me one of the 5%, shame John is such a delicate flower :)

Come on, guys. Regardless of how bad John's project management skills are, regardless of whether he's going to deliver or scam us all, the constant bickering and thread crapping is not helping. AFAIK he's not taking new orders, so shooting him in the foot some more doesn't really help others avoid the project either.
Do you also motivate your kid, when they're failing at something, by constantly reminding them what a failure they are? Grow up, get a hobby, be happy. Don't let your life depend on some new piece of kit that might or might not happen, even if you invested in it.

You have a point but John is not a kid and being patient hasn't seen anything produced and even kids need reminding quite often to deliver on what they have promised. Also the time delay and likely cost overuns are more in line with a military project than a DAC, the original cost was supposed to be about 500euros, somehow we have ended up with a custom LCD and an atomic clock option, I think the atomic clocks are about a thousand bucks each which can reasonably be classed as overkill as long term accuracy is not going to affect sound and if the phase noise of <125dBc at 10Hz is audible to my ears I would be pleasantly surprised, rubidium clocks are down to something like -150dBc at 10Hz.

I think rubidium clock is an option. So you can just not choose that option if you do not want it.
Guess that was not your point:)
My point is that being negative is pointless.
I am quite satisfied with the discrete + transformers direction this project has taken :cool:

You have a point but John is not a kid and being patient hasn't seen anything produced and even kids need reminding quite often to deliver on what they have promised. Also the time delay and likely cost overuns are more in line with a military project than a DAC, the original cost was supposed to be about 500euros, somehow we have ended up with a custom LCD and an atomic clock option, I think the atomic clocks are about a thousand bucks each which can reasonably be classed as overkill as long term accuracy is not going to affect sound and if the phase noise of <125dBc at 10Hz is audible to my ears I would be pleasantly surprised, rubidium clocks are down to something like -150dBc at 10Hz.

I continue to enjoy the evolution of this journey and the reward will be even more satisfying as a result. Think of it as the difference between tantric and teenage sex; patience is a virtue.

I also think it continues to be good advice that those who can't take the heat should get out of the kitchen.

My life is full and interesting and I like adventures. I continue to enjoy the evolution of this journey and the reward will be even more satisfying as a result.

Think of it as the difference between

I continue to enjoy the evolution of this journey and the reward will be even more satisfying as a result. Think of it as the difference between tantric and teenage sex; patience is a virtue.

I also think it continues to be good advice that those who can't take the heat should get out of the kitchen.

If PFM have a "pseuds corner" award, I think you would have a good chance of winning with that comment!

Can I check what the development costs are so far for dac and vfets please?
I have not chosen my options yet and wondered if I could plough all into one and not the other, if that is a choice?

Thank you

Not sure whether I like or need a streamer since I don't really know what it is. I listen to internet radio, or the few music files I have stored on my laptop, via music player software called Neutron on said windows laptop. The laptop in turn connects to my Mdac via USB, or wirelessly via Chromecast connected to the Mdac via optical. What part of all this is equivalent to a streamer, and would the streamer above improve on what I use?

Hi Brab

It is mentioned in the previous posts that internal Streamer will be clock-locked to the DAC and support ultra high resolutions, giving you the ultimate Audiophile source so you can be rest assured there is no loss of fidelity

It should/will have a nice User Interface (smart phone or browser control) and space for an SSD hard drive (which are cheap now) or smaller memory form factor size storage to store all your music so no need for a laptop or pc

Personally I’m very happy this will be part of the DAC ...I’ve heard of people spending £500 just for stupid interconnect cable from source to DAC swearing it makes a difference...you can now laugh at asaid Audiophools :)

John
If one were to bypass the rectification stage of the MDAC2 and directly feed it DC, what would the voltages/ current requirements be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back