advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that it must just be me, but I find the quality of the unaltered MDAC to be an ideal realised - a sort of possible pinnacle to date in digital conversion. In fact I'd put it alongside any DAC or CD player [that I have had the chance to use] and I would be hard put to find any obvious fault with the MDAC afterwards.

I found the Chords Hugo for example much less close the ideal.

On the other hand the best source is, in my humble opinion, still a good live relay on Radio Three.

ATB from George

I''m a bit late with this, but welcome to the discussion, George! Your comment about the Hugo is very useful to me, since I had wondered about trying this or the Qutest as an interim while waiting for the MDAC-2, but fortunately that idea was overtaken by events.

I totally agree that here is nothing wrong with the original MDAC. Yes, it's a pinnacle, but in a mountain range you need to climb the first one to see what else is there, and the MDAC can be improved. I found that adding a simple 3-rail LPS produced an increase in spatial separation of instruments, and more feeling of "being there"- one or two curtains had been drawn back. Others have reported even better results with 5-rail supplies, but that involves some heavy metalwork (or woodwork...). Recently I acquired one of John's "Fusion" modified units, courtesy ofPhilCCTE, and this sweeps several more curtains back; here again the LPS adds that bit more realism. This gives me added confidence that when the MDAC-2 finally does emerge, it will be spectacularly good, even if by then my old ears will not be hearing all that it can do.

R3 through a good FM tuner can be very good, but did you try the experimental BBC high resolution digital broadcasts from the 2017 proms? Unfortunately they didn't repeat this in 2018, but those 2017 Proms, through the MDAC/LPS, were as good as anything I have heard, well ahead of FM. The only problem was that the decoding led to a roughly 40 second delay, which made direct comparisons tricky.

Cheers,

Bob

Others have reported even better results with 5-rail supplies, but that involves some heavy metalwork (or woodwork...). Recently I acquired one of John's "Fusion" modified units, courtesy ofPhilCCTE, and this sweeps several more curtains back; here again the LPS adds that bit more realism. This gives me added confidence that when the MDAC-2 finally does emerge, it will be spectacularly good, even if by then my old ears will not be hearing all that it can do.

Not so much... When mine went to JohnW all those years ago for Fusion work he also split the internal PSU. Now the stock PSU wont work but you simply connect a 5 rail DC psu to the standard input connector. MDAC looks stock other than sticker on the back. Its (i believe) the one and only Fusion DC+
I built a 5 rail diy DC PSU using SuperTeddyRegs, AMB e4 controller etc. All parts from the parts draw so zero cost, only paid for a custom wound torroid and a case that roughly matched the MDac and it works really well.

Pic when in progress:

It sits on the shelf next to M-Dac. Together its roughly the same width as a standard hifi unit so no problem.

Having done a side by side to a stock MDac on same firmware into HackerNAP (diy amp) and Ergo IX speakers (again, DIY) it was different, better, clearer sound, better staging. Not a night and day difference, but better none the less.

My 5 rail supply to stock Mdac provided a big uplift in SQ adding super regs took it further, I would like to try a fusion Mdac with the supply.

Night and day is I suppose a definition meaning different things to different people but the improvement was not subtle.

Must change another Lelon cap though :eek:

I’ve just bought a Project S2 to replace my faulty M-DAC. It should arrive next week. It’s something I’ve been considering for a while, but the non-appearance of the M-DAC 2 pushed me over the edge. Hopefully it’ll just be an interim solution.

Night and day is I suppose a definition meaning different things to different people but the improvement was not subtle.

Always the problem describing these changes, one persons stark difference and drastic improvement is another persons subtle uplift in detail, and a third set of ears may not like the change...

Given the higher than anticipated (but understandable) costs of MDAC2 it now seems even more odd that we have to scrap the original MDAC just to provide a sleeve for MDAC2. I’d quite like to keep my old MDAC (with outboard Calex PSU) in service in a separate system.

I’ve just bought a Project S2 to replace my faulty M-DAC. It should arrive next week. It’s something I’ve been considering for a while, but the non-appearance of the M-DAC 2 pushed me over the edge. Hopefully it’ll just be an interim solution.

The S2 is an ESS based DAC and while for its price its OK, the limitations of the ESS's DAS's haunt the design...

If things pan out then there will be an affordable DAC range that implements some of the MDAC2/FDAC core technology which should really change the sound quality possible at the GBP300 - GBP400 price point. This range of more affordable DAC's are targeted for the next Christmas selling season...

Unfortunately due to the cost of key MDAC2 / FDAC components and the complexities of testing they cannot be considered Mini-MDAC2's but more of a close cousin - but there will still be plenty of common DNA sequences :) ...

I will be sure to arrange that the MDAC2 / FDAC / Detox project development sponsor have early access to these DAC's at a discount rate - much like the original MDAC release :) However they will be released AFTER MDAC2/FDAC - but will still make for a decent DAC for the second system...

Given the higher than anticipated (but understandable) costs of MDAC2 it now seems even more odd that we have to scrap the original MDAC just to provide a sleeve for MDAC2. I’d quite like to keep my old MDAC (with outboard Calex PSU) in service in a separate system.
Agree, why not just an off the shelve Chinese chassie. Preferably a little bigger than the MDAC.

Let me just say this in the most Polite way :) - FORGET IT!!! I have no possibility / energy to trying to arrange the Chassis sleeve / Remote control and PSU which are the MDAC's donor parts... Maybe once my head is cleared of the MDAC2/FDAC design challenges I'll be in the frame of mind to fight and finance these parts - but I can tell you now I'm sick up to the hilt of the constant financial outgoings of this project - I really have no desire to open extrusion tooling and purchase 1 metric ton of sleeves (min extrusion order qtys). Last week I spent over GBP4K just on components for a few prototype boards, sadly this kind of cost occur in one form or another every week... I just want this project over ASAP can put stop to this constant bleeding! :)

In fact I'm just sitting here at the computer in the process of putting another GBP1K or so order in with Mouser / DigiKey and Farnell for extra components for this project I'd forgotten to order last week...

Sure this "Project" is very much a Labor of love - but I do have my limits!

We will be machining the new Front / rear panels (and knob) but they are milled from flat 10mm sheets.... a relatively "Easy" task... although I'm sure its still going to get complicated...

The S2 is an ESS based DAC and while for its price its OK, the limitations of the ESS's DAS's haunt the design...

If things pan out then there will be an affordable DAC range that implements some of the MDAC2/FDAC core technology which should really change the sound quality possible at the GBP300 - GBP400 price point. This range of more affordable DAC's are targeted for the next Christmas selling season...

Unfortunately due to the cost of key MDAC2 / FDAC components and the complexities of testing they cannot be considered Mini-MDAC2's but more of a close cousin - but there will still be plenty of common DNA sequences :) ...

I will be sure to arrange that the MDAC2 / FDAC / Detox project development sponsor have early access to these DAC's at a discount rate - much like the original MDAC release :) However they will be released AFTER MDAC2/FDAC - but will still make for a decent DAC for the second system...

Quick question about the S2. I’ve looked at the manual online and it says not to use the external power supply if the USB port is being used on the DAC as it’ll get power from the computer’s USB port. Is that what you’d advise?

Actually, thinking about it, I’ll need to use the power supply as I’ll have a galvanic transformer isolating the DAC from the computer.

Agree, why not just an off the shelve Chinese chassie. Preferably a little bigger than the MDAC.

This custom chassis struggle will be faced with FDAC - not before, I need to get MDAC2 units out before directing time and face the extra layer of headaches related to the FDAC.

Quick question about the S2. I’ve looked at the manual online and it says not to use the external power supply if the USB port is being used on the DAC as it’ll get power from the computer’s USB port. Is that what you’d advise?

Actually, thinking about it, I’ll need to use the power supply as I’ll have a galvanic transformer isolating the DAC from the computer.

Steve,

Manuals wrong - just don't use there PoS switching supply, if you have a decent linear PSU all will be good :)

I also got a S2 but mine has no COWER;) as a second interim DAC. Just sold a Chord Hugo which I bought as a very short term solution 4.5 yers ago.
TBO the S2 is much better value.

I also got a S2 but mine has no COWER;) as a second interim DAC. Just sold a Chord Hugo which I bought as a very short term solution 4.5 yers ago.
TBO the S2 is much better value.

Covers are for cowards - you should see Renata using the "HiFi" systems here in the lab :D ... besides cooler DAC = longer life!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back