advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the time the MDAC board does arrive this is what Stoke on Trent will look like...

Future_city_1000px.jpg
And the MDAC2 will still be regarded as a reference standard and those that own one will be revered as gods...:D

Last edited:
This seems to be a problem buying used ESLs; it’s almost like buying used Tubes - you have no idea how far the panels have degraded 8-/
Not really, Paul. It's no different to buying any vintage speaker or component: a 40+ year old speaker is going to either need stuff doing or it'll have had a decent history of stuff getting done. That's not to say you should buy blind - audition first - but even so, some deterioration may not be obvious. Or you could have a PSU go a bit iffy on you, which is what seems to have happened to mine. I miss them, ugly feckin things that they are, the little AVI Neutron IV speakers aren't anywhere near as good (but all I have to hand right now until my PSUs get reconditioned or OTA suggest replacement.... just being patient, me...)

Hello,
I haven't been in "MDAC First Listen XYZ...." threads for more than a year. Would anybody be so kind to tell me what is new here, and if there is any light at the end of the tunnel ...
I paid 450 pounds (4x100+50) some 5 years ago. Is there any chance to get something in return?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hello,
I haven't been in "MDAC First Listen XYZ...." threads for more than a year. Would anybody be so kind to tell me what is new here, and if there is any light at the end of the tunnel ...
I paid 450 pounds (4x100+50) some 5 years ago. Is there any chance to get something in return?
Thank you very much.

Unlikely.

Nothing has been produced let alone the stuff you originally signed up for. Expect to be ignored.

Except that John's received the first samples of case work this week for other components and that brings everything one step closer.

Hello,
Thank you very much.
Pavel,

Production line is now up and running - and investment almost complete, I can now manufacture the Streamer's / DevDAC / Detox / MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET PCB's inhouse.

The streamer software and hardware has shipped to early Beta testers - with positive feedback, so the streamer solution for MDAC2 is now ready to go.

The MDAC2 design is now moving forward as a fully discrete design with a twist - which will make it unique, I plan to have first boards within the next 60 days.

The MDAC2 DD2A PCB is now redesigned to allow an upgrade path to the FDAC (same DAC PCB with extra PSU / Digital board).

For MDAC / FDAC project development sponsors I have started a private Facebook group with more depth progress reports:-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/186775815400428/?ref=bookmarks

First CNC chassis for the universal chassis have just been manufactured by our local vendor.

Samples of "production approved" Detox chassis will be ready within the next 7 days...

The streamer software and hardware has shipped to early Beta testers - with positive feedback, so the streamer solution for MDAC2 is now ready to go.
Johm, I've sent you a message on facebook regarding this.

Given the recent FB report of "wavy" CNC'ing on outer surfaces of DETOX chassis, maybe not what the doctor ordered but Jeff Rowland has been doing this for years to great effect...

jeffrowland_mc6.jpg

...and that fellow charges premium, literally for his case designs :)

I had to laugh, his implementation of the nCore nc1200 model 925 (which we know only costs OEMs a few hundred Euros/as the nc500 was leaked on DIYAudio at under 100Euros to OEMs) costs $50K !!!

Given the recent FB report of "wavy" CNC'ing on outer surfaces of DETOX chassis, maybe not what the doctor ordered but Jeff Rowland has been doing this for years to great effect...

jeffrowland_mc6.jpg

Yep - not quite what we had in mind...!

I invested a total of 3050£ in this project (MDAC2 + VFET + Detox) which John agreed to alow towards the VFETs only. This year, I also tried to strike a deal where I would get a "refund" in the form of a modified amplifier. Again no show. So I am back to square one, waiting for the man to deliver on his original promise.

I am not going to go bankrupt although I took out substantial bank loans to fund my years of hifi madness. I now have a more than ample stereo set-up that I am content with. I am paying back my bank debt and would love to be able to sell off the elusive VFET to speed up that process.

So, I am back waiting for VFETs that were promised to be delivered 4 years ago.

I invested a total of 3050£ in this project (MDAC2 + VFET + Detox) which John agreed to alow towards the VFETs only. This year, I also tried to strike a deal where I would get a "refund" in the form of a modified amplifier. Again no show. So I am back to square one, waiting for the man to deliver on his original promise.

I am not going to go bankrupt although I took out substantial bank loans to fund my years of hifi madness. I now have a more than ample stereo set-up that I am content with. I am paying back my bank debt and would love to be able to sell off the elusive VFET to speed up that process.

So, I am back waiting for VFETs that were promised to be delivered 4 years ago.

you and me both [and probably a good few others]

you and me both [and probably a good few others]

I feel your pain.

The first page in this section has a post from John saying he expects everything to be shipped by Christmas last year, but it now transpires that the MDAC design is still being worked on. My £500 remains mentally written off.

1) I want the promised VFETs when they are ready to be picked up.
2) When they are ready for pick-up, JohnW can contact me through the contact email that he and Renata have on record.
3) I will pick up the units in the Czech Republic myself when the VFETs are ready, and pay whatever remains in cash once I am satisfied that the units are what I ordered 4 years ago.
4) I will not enter into further discussion about this. I have wasted enough time as it is.
Bye.

I feel your pain.

The first page in this section has a post from John saying he expects everything to be shipped by Christmas last year, but it now transpires that the MDAC design is still being worked on. My £500 remains mentally written off.

This is my position too. I too feel Rosewind's pain. I think John promised too much too soon which is clear with hindsight. The VFET's seem to be at the back of the queue. I seriously considered backing those a few years ago but my system luckily was towards an active set-up and VFET's would have been a big gamble. As you know JW has invested heavily in an in-house production line for the boards. I'm still hopeful we'll see something this year, but I fear the VFET boards won't appear until at least next year and may take a different direction.

I may be older than Rosewind and life's experience teaches me to gamble with what I can afford to lose, but I'm hopeful it won't come to that. My suggestion would be to keep faith and perhaps when delivered try to sell on....but try them out first!

The MDAC2 design is now moving forward as a fully discrete design with a twist - which will make it unique, I plan to have first boards within the next 60 days.

From Jun 9th

I'm currently working on the PCB design... I cannot say how long - but first PCB's in say 60 days...

Will it be ready in fourteen days or sixty days from now?

Vfets though, theyre just an amp, quick builds amps.

But then again so was the high Aswan dam, comparatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back