advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I haven't been on here for ages and just looking in see if any progress has been made with the Mdac2, originally signed up to the Mdac2 what changed to the Fdac and now it looks like it's back to the Mdac2. Is there any chance the Mdac2 will be ready this year. Will the PCB be in a new case or will we be using our Mdac cases as it was originally planned.

I sent a request to join the Facebook page weeks ago but I haven't my request actioned so far.

Mike,

Last week I placed orders for over 2500GBP :( of components for the MDAC2 so we are now at the stage of preparing to test and build prototypes.

MDAC2 will be the available first, with the most advance build of MDAC2 analogue board being the basis of the FDAC (so those planning to transfer there MDAC2 PCB into the FDAC chassis when its available will need to order the most advance MDAC2 PCB build).

The MDAC2 will come with a new front and rear panel to be reused with the MDAC sleeve - FDAC a complete custom chassis.

Back in 2013 I sent my MDAC to John for the Fusion upgrade, it was with him for over 6 months! He sent me this message to apologise. The Fusion upgrade did sound very good but I no longer have it.
I’m quids in! Maybe.... :)

IanM,

I'm VERY VERY sorry for the delay I've working on your unit ATM - I'll offer you compensation in the form of the MDAC2 upgrade.
John

Thanks for your kind offer of the MDAC2 upgrade. I'm not sure how this would work though as my name is not on the list as I had no plans for getting an MDAC2 this year. Also would a standard MDAC2 sound better than the Fusion upgrade you will soon be sending me?

Regards
Ian

Hi

Like Mike 9876, I haven't been on this forum for a while.

I'm an owner of a trusty MDAC which I still love hugely. But, I always liked the idea of FDAC when I first read about it having the option of Phono Stage i.e. what I understood was the L3 option. However, at the time I wasn't able or ready to invest. I may be now though, hence my now revisiting this site as I am very keen to stick with John and his products.

I can see John has been working away and it seems that what was the FDAC is now the MDAC2. What is less clear to me is what the MDAC2 comprises in terms of functionality. Will it be available in various guises as the FDAC was to be? And, will one of the versions (or the only version) have a phono stage?

Lastly, can I still invest? Or alternatively can I simply buy once the product is available?

Thanks for your help all.

Rob

Beammeup, Just goto the Check updates Tab under the system settings to confirm if your on the latest update (check to New Update).

There is a fairly new Beta update available with lots on additions / improvements so there well be an official release soon (if not already).

OK will do! Does that mean I "should" be on the Pro-Ject S2 update channel as standard? Anyways - I will take a look and report back.

Mike,

Last week I placed orders for over 2500GBP :( of components for the MDAC2 so we are now at the stage of preparing to test and build prototypes.

MDAC2 will be the available first, with the most advance build of MDAC2 analogue board being the basis of the FDAC (so those planning to transfer there MDAC2 PCB into the FDAC chassis when its available will need to order the most advance MDAC2 PCB build).

The MDAC2 will come with a new front and rear panel to be reused with the MDAC sleeve - FDAC a complete custom chassis.

John when will the most advanced build be ready, or I will settle for what comes first if it will be too far in the future.

Hi

I'm an owner of a trusty MDAC which I still love hugely. But, I always liked the idea of FDAC when I first read about it having the option of Phono Stage i.e. what I understood was the L3 option. However, at the time I wasn't able or ready to invest. I may be now though, hence my now revisiting this site as I am very keen to stick with John and his products.

I can see John has been working away and it seems that what was the FDAC is now the MDAC2. What is less clear to me is what the MDAC2 comprises in terms of functionality. Will it be available in various guises as the FDAC was to be? And, will one of the versions (or the only version) have a phono stage?

Lastly, can I still invest? Or alternatively can I simply buy once the product is available?

Rob

I believe all the development places are taken , however I no longer require either the MDAC2/FDAC and VFETS so I am willing to sell my position.

Hi

Rob

I believe all the development places are taken , however I no longer require either the MDAC2/FDAC and VFETS so I am willing to sell my position.

Every once in the while there's an old supporter who wants an out from this project. I'd think its a buyers market at the moment so Noah's Dove should be in the position to negotiate for a great price. Although I'd not get involved the moment since the delivery part of these plans remains a dream. You will be able to hop aboard this train at a later time too.

Every once in the while there's an old supporter who wants an out from this project. I'd think its a buyers market at the moment so Noah's Dove should be in the position to negotiate for a great price. Although I'd not get involved the moment since the delivery part of these plans remains a dream. You will be able to hop aboard this train at a later time too.

I've just decided to take a different route with my system and the fdac and vfets are just way over specced for what I need ..I'm confident that what ever John delivers will be a game changer and will out perform anything at the cost he is charging ... I would rather wait it out ... Wait for the rave reviews and then sell, rather than under sell my development position.

John when will the most advanced build be ready, or I will settle for what comes first if it will be too far in the future.

All currently planned MDAC2 options will be available from initial release - that includes the FDAC ready version.

Hi

Rob

Rob,

I have no plans to build MDAC2's beyond the PFM sponsored units - after investing so much of my life into the technology behind the design I really want to move into other pastures once these designs have been completed.

The MDAC2 / FDAC designs are too complex and required highly specialized equipment for setup / calibration so they are not production ready designs, each unit will be built and tested by myself so you can understand I will want to build as least as possible!

So my plan is that I will only build the PFM development sponsored units - although we will be happy to move these positions onto other interested party's (at the sponsors request) - but the numbers will be limited.

Once I've worked though the MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET's then I MIGHT build "hand build" a few top Spec FDAC's a month if there was interest - but think of a GBP6K to GBP10K price tag - this would be the real selling price of the design based on its BOM cost (Not factoring the HUGE personal investment).

The MDAC2 / FDAC are really expensive designs (based on BOM COST) - they have not been designed to a cost. This works OK when passed onto PFM members "At Cost" but the price quickly escalates when sold with normal margins.

I will clarify the MDAC2 / FDAC features and roadmap ONCE the design is completed. FDAC will offer everything promised - and MORE (including ADC / RIAA option) - only the internal DSP option will NOT be offered but instead we will offer modified MiniDSP box's retrofitted with an internal interface to connect "optimally" with the MDAC2 / FDAC. (MDAC2 has to be optioned with the external DSP interface).

The ADC RIAA is only available in the FDAC as there is no space within the MDAC2 for the extra PCB (the Digital section is now mounted above the analogue PCB) ... the audio Transformers eat up a significant part of the internal volume. Its such a tight squeeze that the transformer vendor has to machine the top of the transformer plastic bobbins removing material to allow them to fit within the internal height available.

Last edited:

The MDAC2 / FDAC are really expensive designs (based on BOM COST) - they have not been designed to a cost. This works OK when passed onto PFM members "At Cost" but the price quickly escalates when sold with normal margins.

I will clarify the MDAC2 / FDAC features and roadmap ONCE the design is completed. FDAC will offer everything promised (including ADC / RIAA option) - only the internal DSP option will NOT be offered but instead we will offer modified MiniDSP box's retrofitted with an internal interface to connect "optimally" with the MDAC2 / FDAC. (MDAC2 has to be optioned with the external DSP interface).

The ADC RIAA is only available in the FDAC as there is no space within the MDAC2 for the extra PCB (the Digital section is now mounted above the analogue PCB) ... the audio Transformers eat up a significant part of the internal volume. Its such a tight squeeze that the transformer vendor has to machine the top of the transformer plastic bobbins removing material to allow them to fit within the internal height available.

I'm really curious to see what comes to us as a result after all these years of waiting / development. Even if it was difficult in the meantime, I look at the FDAC in a positive mood.
I hope that I can afford the development stage of "my" FDAC.
;-)

Rob,
Once I've worked though the MDAC2 / FDAC / VFET's then I MIGHT build "hand build" a few top Spec FDAC's a month if there was interest - but think of a GBP6K to GBP10K price tag - this would be the real selling price of the design based on its BOM cost (Not factoring the HUGE personal investment).

So the promise of UKP 300 for development and UKP250 for HW to lure us into sending you funds is far from the current reality John ?
So time wise it has taken 500% longer, and money wise, well that's gonna be at least a similar figure like 500% ?
And this sounds still acceptable to you ? And nobody is about to complain ?

So the promise of UKP 300 for development and UKP250 for HW to lure us into sending you funds is far from the current reality John ?
So time wise it has taken 500% longer, and money wise, well that's gonna be at least a similar figure like 500% ?
And this sounds still acceptable to you ? And nobody is about to complain ?

The man on the street price is 6k / 10k for an on request build once the initial builds have been completed, where as we development funders are at cost and not those prices ! At least that’s what I’ve read

The man on the street price is 6k / 10k for an on request build once the initial builds have been completed, where as we development funders are at cost and not those prices ! At least that’s what I’ve read

Yes - 100% Correct :) "At Cost" is the only way this design would remain affordable. There will be various build levels as the most advanced boards will cost significantly more then the basic unit.

Margins in the HiFi are 1:6 with budget equipment above say GBP500, and well over 1:10 with equipment over say GBP2000....

The pair of MDAC2 transformers alone cost GBP350+ VAT - at 1:10 thats GBP3500+VAT before we have even started...

Don't worry NO plans to make 1:10 margin IF there where to be further production units after the PFM development sponsor units, but I would ONLY consider building more if it made financial sense - I\'m really not keen on spending my life building DACs!

Yes - 100% Correct :) "At Cost" is the only way this design would remain affordable. There will be various build levels as the most advanced boards will cost significantly more then the basic unit.

Margins in the HiFi are 1:6 with budget equipment above say GBP500, and well over 1:10 with equipment over say GBP2000....

The pair of MDAC2 transformers alone cost GBP350+ VAT - at 1:10 thats GBP3500+VAT before we have even started...

Don't worry NO plans to make 1:10 margin IF there where to be further production units after the PFM development sponsor units, but I would ONLY consider building more if it made financial sense - I\'m really not keen on spending my life building DACs!

I've run that past google translate and still I'm none the wiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back