Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Discussion in 'audio' started by JohnW, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iansr

iansr pfm Member

Yup. Hopefully John will comment further . .

2. Margin_walker

Margin_walker pfm Member

I’m not sure this is the right place to talk about the original m-dac anymore, but I am looking to upgrade my q-dac to something with two optical inputs and a remote control. Is the m-dac still a good choice or has it been overtaken?

3. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Hi Ian,

If your going to "Unbalance" the XLR output you might as well use the RCA output. Do the Martin Logan Subs only have RCA input?

4. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

I'm still using the original MDAC (minus the case and with different psu) but if I were shopping around for a new one, I'd consider the MDAC+ (more expensive, quieter psu circuitry) and the offerings from Pro-ject (some are JW designs with newer chips.)

In one of Paul McGowan's you-tube videos he emphasises irrc that the circuit layout for any given chip is pretty much dictated by the manufacturer - hence it's the subsequent analogue circuitry and the psu regulation/separation that determine how it actually sounds. (I think the ps.audio top-of the-range DAC is around $6,000, but the principle applies regardless of price.)

There are also some interesting comparisons with Schiit DACs on Head-Fi.org under the heading 'Life after Yggdrasil'. Lots of choice out there.....

5. iansr

iansr pfm Member

Ok thanks John - I was worried that using both outputs at once would degrade the XLR output in some way . . .
    I'm going to use 3 subs using this software:
    https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html

I therefore need to manage the subs via a miniDSP 2x4HD which only has RCA inputs / outputs.

6. Clerenlas

Clerenlas Well-Known Member

7. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

3 You only 2 last week.

8. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I've had a Velodyne DD12 for years, plus the 2 Descent i makes 3. With MSO it doesn't matter if the subs are not all the same.

9. misterdog

I'll have 2 next week :).

Need a bigger room for more :(

10. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I found just adding a second made an immediate worthwhile improvement and that was before I did anything at all by way of calibration.
    Earl Geddes says that if you are using 3 or 4 subs then they don't need to be big. Maybe you can find space for a small 8" job as a third one . . .

11. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Paul,

Do you still have that single Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL? I've just purchased a second-hand pair from the US for our listening setup - to test the pending Amps + MDAC2 designs (cheap, but not in great condition), I'd not be surprised if they arrive damaged in shipping so I could be very interested in your single unit :)

12. misterdog

In perfect condition, as new fully boxed.

13. misterdog

I have a UMIK 1 if you wish to borrow.

14. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Paul,

Great, I'll have it from you - now to work out a deal :)

15. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

This seems to be a problem buying used ESLs; it’s almost like buying used Tubes - you have no idea how far the panels have degraded 8-/

Glad you will have one ‘new’ one to compare with

Paul

16. Jason_PFM

Jason_PFM pfm Member

Closer to the end of the year again;
    Will there be products this side of Christmas or are we full circle again next year ?

Sibbers and HarryB like this.
  17. Hawtin

Hawtin pfm Member

The answer to those questions is definitely yes!

18. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

By the time the MDAC board does arrive this is what Stoke on Trent will look like...

[​IMG]

timola, brumjam, Wilson and 4 others like this.
  19. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

The ESL's I purchased are 3 years old (2015) - panels should still be in there youth :)

ti33er likes this.
  20. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

So, are we there yet with the chassis price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.