advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me the new front panel seems like another delay/cost and in my view not necessary.
Yes i totally agree, i am getting tired of all these distractions. I actually like tge mdac frontpanel as it is.

Getting my mdac2 this year would be nice, johnW will have plenty if time to make improvements before the pnp machine arrive in september, i would be fine getting it early 2018 too but i dislike being exposed financially to crowdfunding projects and once i get the mdac2 i will be less worried.

Why with the streamer board can we not have a PC interface for tinkering with settings.

To me the new front panel seems like another delay/cost and in my view not necessary.
My guess is you can, if you mean a browser interface when you say PC interface.
At least that is how Volumio normally works.

But on top of that you are also getting a touch screen interface on the DAC customised specially for the MDAC2 (which can probably be reused for FDAC)

So what not to like! :)

Yes i totally agree, i am getting tired of all these distractions.

John is not making the software and the streamer already has the connector to the screen. So can't see much time spend.

John

Is the new front panel that you are referring to necessary/relevant if you do not require/have the streamer pcb fitted? Or is an updated panel that can be fitted and be fully functionally with or without the streamer pcb?

Do you have a likely cost?

The display and display touch panel are driven by the CM3 on the streamer PCB - so the front panel update can only be fitted to "streamer" units.

I have to say that retaining only the sleeve for MDAC2 and effectively junking the perfectly good innards and front/rear panels feels a bit, well, wasteful.

With MDAC2 this has always been the case - now with the option of also upgrading the front panel.

All innards / Rear panel / PSU where always going to be replaced with the MDAC2 upgrade.

Trust me, with the original MDAC Lelon cap situation none repaired units will not last forever.

I personally wouldn't expect extensive functionality from the non-streamer version, but it would be nice to have some basic firmware that can interact via USB (DAC/ADC), switch inputs/filters, change volume, .. basically what MDAC (1) v0.90 does, without the extra bells and whistles.

Correct, the MDAC2 with the original front panel will be offered with pretty much the same software features as current MDAC (no level meters or Bit perfect test) - there's little more that can be done within the bounds of the current display / buttons etc. It will be offered as a legacy solution but all the advance features require the CM3 CPU and Display / touch interface.

It is great to see that there is high demand!

Just shows what you are doing is right.

Getting the Volumio Guys on board was a scoop :cool:

Yep, it made the expense of the time and money of the Munich trip worthwhile :)

And OBVIOUSLY our PFM get together :)

That augers well John, sounds like they really like them !

Well, I had a couple of nice comments from some rather unexpected places, so lets see.

The trouble is I've rather lost perspective of what's "expected" sonically at this price point as we listen to the MDAC2/FDAC developmental units...

I really have no idea what a GBP350 should sound like - we just compare it to what we are working on here in the lab!

The Little DAC really benefits from the Detox - but then Detox costs almost as much as the DAC itself!

Yes increased cost - but the software is not being developed by us, so it SAVES time as we dont need to do this in-house. To this end its very possible that the MDAC2 units with updated front panels will be released ahead of the units with legacy front panel as its a pigs' job to mesh the old front panel MCU to our new design.

With MDAC2 this has always been the case - now with the option of also upgrading the front panel.

All innards / Rear panel / PSU where always going to be replaced with the MDAC2 upgrade.

Trust me, with the original MDAC Lelon cap situation none repaired units will not last forever.

Yeah, but I went through the not inconsiderable pain of repairing mine:eek:

In regards knowing what the competition is doing , has anyone listened to the latest hi end DAC's to know what we are aiming for ?
John W did you have chance to listen to anything at Munich? I know you are sceptical at just how worthy it is doing serious listening at HIFI shows. Ive totally lost touch with the latest ones. Last decent DAC I listened to was at Steven's (Toy) costing around 4K...memory fails me on the name , but there was also an entry level Aurender player (£000's)

John
Certainly not wanting to distract you but if you have a spare few minutes whilst taking a break would you have a quick look at this, which may also be of interest to others:
https://github.com/iancanada/Docume...II series/SPDIFboard/SPDIF_InterfaceBoard.pdf

As I've mentioned I'm limited to using SPDIF input on my DACs and I was wondering whether you think this board (combined with the other boards mentioned in the description) would be of benefit if inserted between the Source and the MDAC2?

This guy's boards seem to be highly rated by many people on DIYA.

With regards to the new and improved MDAC2 front panel, will some of the hardware and software be re-usable when the full sized housing will become available, assuming it is still in the cards?

I'm planning on getting an FDAC and MDAC2, and would prefer if they were in similar looking boxes (and having an integrated device with PSU+DAC has some advantages). Clearly this is just a matter of cosmetics, cost and time to market, with no impact on sound quality.

My only gripe with this new fascia idea, is that I've paid a handsome £370 for a salvaged MDAC unit

It seems I will now have to pay extra for the new screen, fine, but it's only a metal sleeve and remote control for £370 in the end!?

Could 'someone' here simply manufacture plywood sleeves (that wouldn't have this old RF issue of the old MDAC cases) as most of us have Universal remotes for the IR Codes (even these can be bought for £20 upwards)!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back