advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice post, i recall it very well...A very naughty and visually stunning movie....with great music by Nyman.

Having never heard of the movie but being familiar with a number of the cast, watched it during y'day snow storm here in New England. Call me a boor but despite Helen Mirren's 30 year younger body and the sous chef's cutting skills, two of my favorite parts were when someone asked the white-haired urchin to stop singing and when SPOILER ALERT Georgina shot Alfred! Not sure if artistic license or not but found it strange when Georgina's dress changed from red to white depending on whether she was in the dining room or the ladies room.

A bit too artsy for me.

Where do you get the option for exclusive mode? Is it in the tidal desktop app settings?

Yes it's in settings>streaming, then click on the cog that appears when you hover the mouse next to the selected audio output. Not as obvious as it could be.

Hi Eiffel, I wanted to say thanks again for pointing me at this. The player arrived on Friday and I've now successfully ripped my entire SACD collection as DSD64 files (both the Stereo and the multichannel layers).... couldn't have been easier :)

Hi! I am wondering how easy is your ripping of the SACD's with this machine. Is it through RJ45 or USB? Is there any software inside the machine to make this possible? Thank you.

canofan,

It's fairly easy and explained in, for instance, http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ing-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/. While this thread is largely aimed at Oppo users, the only difference is the software to install on a USB stick in the BD player..

The software to install on the USB stick to insert in the Pioneer BDP 160/170 player is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq27...DP160.zip?dl=0; and the Sonore software to run on your PC/Mac is here: http://dsd.sonore.us/iso2dsd_OSX_v6.zip

With this done...

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the unzipped AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

3) Copy the iso2dsd_PC_v7 (from Sonore iso2DSD) unzipped folder files to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped (as the ripping will take place in the same folder)

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your player. The tray should open. You can leave your USB stick in your player or remove it.

5) Insert an SACD and close the tray. Wait until the player recognizes the disc.

6) Run iso2dsd_gui.exe from the drive on your PC (On Windows10, you may have to click on the .jar file instead in my experience). Select Server Input from topleft. Select Raw ISO as the Output Mode. Enter the IP address of your player (from Step 1) in the IP Address Port window*. Click on Execute. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

7) When dsd2iso indicates Done, eject disc and repeat from Step 5 (or click Quit).

8) Remove USB stick and reboot to return to normal player use.

It's hardly rocket science... ;-)

Hi! I am wondering how easy is your ripping of the SACD's with this machine. Is it through RJ45 or USB? Is there any software inside the machine to make this possible? Thank you.

Hi, with this process, you run some software (iso2dsd) on your PC to connect to the player via your home network. It pulls back an iso image of the SACD directly to your PC. It really is very simple. All the software needs to know is the IP address of the player.

Without going into the detail, it's basically 4 steps:
1) Connect the player to the same network as your PC (wired or wireless).
2) Copy some provided script files to a USB memory stick and insert this into the player.
3) On your PC, run the free "iso2dsd" tool which connects to the player across the network and pulls back a raw ISO image of the disc.
4) Run "iso2dsd" again (in "file input" mode) to extract the DSD (.dsf) files from the iso image.

<edit> Oops, I see Eiffel beat me to it :)

I looked into it some time ago and the process could be improved based on what one considers an improvement, ie. the ripping could be done directly onto the USB drive without ever needing a network socket or finding out the IP address + the actual ripping binary can split tracks for you instead of making an ISO image, you just need to pass it the intended flags.

Thank you EIffel for your reply. It is almost the same as the for PS3. I need this as a backup machine in case the PS3 fails.

I looked into it some time ago and the process could be improved based on what one considers an improvement, ie. the ripping could be done directly onto the USB drive without ever needing a network socket or finding out the IP address + the actual ripping binary can split tracks for you instead of making an ISO image, you just need to pass it the intended flags.

With iso2dsd, it looks like you can choose to extract the .dsf files directly from the disc without creating an iso, although I've not tried this.
However, I imagine this would be much slower as it would require 2 passes of the disc to pull back both the 2CH and Surround layers, and the bottle neck with this process seems to be the bit involving the network. I was only getting 2-3 MBps. Track splitting/tagging is done automatically by iso2dsd when you generate the .dsf files.

Yes it's in settings>streaming, then click on the cog that appears when you hover the mouse next to the selected audio output. Not as obvious as it could be.
Weirdly my mdac is recognised by tidal on w10 laptop and I can go into the next menu to select exclusive mode but I then get a message that I need to set my system sound settings to 16/44 and it refuses actually to engage the mdac and reverts to system default sound card and everything is treated as 24/96 according to the mdac.
Basically aaaaarghhhh

The real improvement would be to be able to remote control this player (or an similar Oppo) and playback native DSD via wifi/a wired network from the MDAC2 or FDAC. This seems doable, but I'm not sure this would have a great return on development time ;)

Before people eager to get their hands on a MDAC2 start shouting, this is just an idea, not a request

The real improvement would be to be able to remote control this player (or an similar Oppo) and playback native DSD via wifi/a wired network from the MDAC2 or FDAC. This seems doable, but I'm not sure this would have a great return on development time ;)

Before people eager to get their hands on a MDAC2 start shouting, this is just an idea, not a request

Not just an idea, but a good idea! However, wouldn't you also need to have the player clock-locked to the DAC?

Why not just rip the SACD to your computer where you will tag it anyway and add cower art and then store it on your NAS.

What you are suggesting is just more complicated and the risk of stability issues and frustration due to network performance is high especially on a wifi network.

Rune, ripping does work fine indeed, and I'm happy with the solution as it stands. Some other folks may not have a proper NAS/Server set up, and may be lured to the MDAC2 by its rare ability to be an audiophile SACD deck with this combo... but this is just dreaming and far from necessary for me.

I presume clock-locking would not be an issue between the player and the DAC (in this 'idea' clock locking would take place within the DAC and its 'streamer' board).

I hope to meet the guys from MQA at Munich - as I dont understand how it can be incorporated within Tidal software Media player (if true)...

I hope you manage to meet them. I realise you're unlikely to change your opinion on whether on not to incorporate MQA in M-DAC/F-DAC (and as the designer that's your right), but I think it would be worthwhile to have a listen to what it does.

I hope you manage to meet them. I realise you're unlikely to change your opinion on whether on not to incorporate MQA in M-DAC/F-DAC (and as the designer that's your right), but I think it would be worthwhile to have a listen to what it does.
If it's possible to incorporate MQA firmware into a titchy (low power, small, simple, low-performance) DAC such as the Firefly, as an afterthought, FOR FREE, then I expect we'll soon see most DACs supporting MQA.

If it's possible to incorporate MQA firmware into a titchy (low power, small, simple, low-performance) DAC such as the Firefly, as an afterthought, FOR FREE, then I expect we'll soon see most DACs supporting MQA.

John has said that he's unwilling to add MQA to the new DACs because it requires him to submit his designs to Meridian/MQA before been accepted as a licensee. That would mean Meridian/MQA would have knowledge of any custom filtering/circuitry etc included in their designs.

Personally I'd like MQA to be included, but I understand the reasons for him being reluctant to do so.

MQA wants all that info because it will optimize (or have to optimize) their software code inside dac to that specific product. After that designer will have very limited options to do something with sound what he thinks is good. So the whole advantage of having FPGA could be lost. It is much more simple include MQA code into that small and simple device like Dragonfly dac than more complex devices with many alternative filters and sound processing ways like FDAC. That is my understanding about it.

^^..this is my understanding too...MQA need to map the whole DAC audiopath to create a sonic signature of the device and then attempt to fix its failings with MQA....this leaves no room then for further tweaks to the design without going back for another MQA scan....too much hassle and restriction in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back