advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, so there will be two balanced headphone outputs? Does that mean you're going to supply a replacement front panel as well? And where will you find the space for the ADC board? :D

(Are you sure you don't want to rename MDAC2 to FDAC? :) )

This weekend I validated both the MDAC2 analogue stage simulations results verse "reality" and the Tube gain stage.

The MDAC2 simulations where within 0.2dB on a rats nested prototype while the Tube Gain stage (for VFET amp) matched simulated open loop gain results to within 2.4dB - those are both excellent confirmations that our device models can be trusted - this speeds up the MDAC2 as we can avoid an "intermittent" PCB design.

The considering how variable tubes are, a 2.4dB "error" is very reassuring :)

John, so there will be two balanced headphone outputs? Does that mean you're going to supply a replacement front panel as well? And where will you find the space for the ADC board? :D

(Are you sure you don't want to rename MDAC2 to FDAC? :) )

Please note my post above and corrected Spec and not Tims repost of my original spec. with the error - there is ONLY ONE headphone balance output and that's located on the MDAC2 rear panel.

The ADC boards mounts upside down above the analogue stage with the ADC's Mini XLR inputs mounted ABOVE the RCA outputs.

I decided on adding the ADC as a septate PCB to ease production (only one type of mainboard manufactured) - and the ADC can be released after the MDAC2 is put into production (again so no extra delay too MDAC2). Also the ADC can be added to any MDAC2 at a later date.

Mark,

Sorry I corrected my original Spec. but its still shown in Tims post - the MDAC front panel is reused, so the 4W balanced XLR's are on the MDAC2's rear panel.

The same Relays that toggle the Front panel headphone jack also toggles the Rear balanced headphone outputs.

So, if I plug an XLR into the XLR headphone socket, will it disconnect all other equipment (apart from front headphone jack)? What I am trying to get at is, will I still need to unplug my amplifier when using XLR headphones? Thanks.

You can either used a dummy 6.3mm Adaptor on the front headphone jack to enable the rear XLR headphone Jack (and this will automatically disable the signal to your main Amps) and we will also add a "Long Press" button selection (say the Mute button) to toggle Headphone mode.

I've been asked recently for confirmation of the MDAC2 Spec:-

Dual ES9028PRO dual Mono design

x2 Optical SPDIF Input, x2 BNC Coax Input, x1 Optical Output (SPDIF/Clock)

Digital Pre-amplifier Mode

3W XLR Balanced and RCA Single Ended outputs

4W XLR Balanced headphone output (rear panel mounted)

High Current Balanced Class A MOSFET Output Stage

High Isolation, Ultra Low noise, Low impedance PSU

Front Panel mounted Single Ended 6.3mm headphone output

Galvanically isolated USB 2.0 input (internally powered) with basic Detox mode

Detox Clock-Lock support

Optional Vishay Bulk Foil Resistors upgrade in critical audio positions

DSD DAC 64 / 128 / 256 / 512

PCM DAC upto 32bits 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, 768 (KHz)

Optional RPi CM3 SOC board connected via secondary Detox'ed / isolated USB 2.0 easing software support

Optional PCM 768 / DSD256 ADC card's (Micro XLR input) - user upgradeable

Upgraded external PSU

Hi John et al.,
I have been a bit of from the forum due to travels at work. It is very hard to skim though this long thread.
Can anyone tell me what is the "difference" between MDAC2 and FDAC? Is the MDAC2 retaining the original MDAC footprint?
What is the price? Is it possible to jump from FDAC to MDAC2?

Cheers!

You can either used a dummy 6.3mm Adaptor on the front headphone jack to enable the rear XLR headphone Jack (and disable signal to your main Amps) and we will also add a "Long Press" button selection (say the Mute button) to toggle Headphone mode.

That's great. May I therefore swap from the FDAC project to the MDAC2 project please, assuming that the MDAC2 will be delivered first.

Hi John et al.,
I have been a bit of from the forum due to travels at work. It is very hard to skim though this long thread.
Can anyone tell me what is the "difference" between MDAC2 and FDAC? Is the MDAC2 retaining the original MDAC footprint?
What is the price? Is it possible to jump from FDAC to MDAC2?

Cheers!

Same front panel / Chassis as MDAC.

GBP 500 development fee transferable from FDAC.

PCB "at cost" GBP150 to GBP250 + external PSU (say GBP100)

Great, thank you very much for the info!
I am not really sure I want to change, but I will keep reading about your progress, it sounds like a very exciting option too.

I've been asked recently for confirmation of the MDAC2 Spec:-

Dual ES9028PRO dual Mono design

x2 Optical SPDIF Input, x2 BNC Coax Input, x1 Optical Output (SPDIF/Clock)

Digital Pre-amplifier Mode

3W XLR Balanced and RCA Single Ended outputs

4W XLR Balanced headphone output (rear panel mounted)

High Current Balanced Class A MOSFET Output Stage

High Isolation, Ultra Low noise, Low impedance PSU

Front Panel mounted Single Ended 6.3mm headphone output

Galvanically isolated USB 2.0 input (internally powered) with basic Detox mode

Detox Clock-Lock support

Optional Vishay Bulk Foil Resistors upgrade in critical audio positions

DSD DAC 64 / 128 / 256 / 512

PCM DAC upto 32bits 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, 768 (KHz)

Optional RPi CM3 SOC board connected via secondary Detox'ed / isolated USB 2.0 easing software support

Optional PCM 768 / DSD256 ADC card's (Micro XLR input) - user upgradeable

Upgraded external PSU

Hi John,

Can you give a ballpark cost for the "Optional Vishay Bulk Foil Resistors upgrade in critical audio positions" ?.

Great, thank you very much for the info!
I am not really sure I want to change, but I will keep reading about your progress, it sounds like a very exciting option too.

I'm having both...mdac2 to eventually star in a second system when the FDAC appears. IMHO everyone who loves the MDAC should go for the MDAC2...those caps are very likely bulging already!

John, I'm interested in the option for Vishay Bulk Foil resistors ... any ballpark costs for these? Also any other component upgrade options in mind?

Same front panel / Chassis as MDAC.

GBP 500 development fee transferable from FDAC.

PCB "at cost" GBP150 to GBP250 + external PSU (say GBP100)

John

I would like to switch to the MFAC2 option. I believe I have made six FDAC payments - L3 with phono stage - so presumably £600. How will that map into MDAC2 costs?

It will be great to meet, and that I will be able to upgrade PFM'ers MDAC to MDAC2's at the Munich show :)

At the Munich show we will also have a few surprises :)

I will probably also go to the Munich show. it will be great to meet you again and hopefully a bigger group of PFM'ers than this year.

I will probably also go to the Munich show. it will be great to meet you again and hopefully a bigger group of PFM'ers than this year.

I am setting my sights rather closer, on the Bristol (UK) show end February. Any PFMers interested to meet up there?

Yes sure, everyone will have that option once the PCB's are ready to go into production :)
And the $64,000 question is: when will that be?

Could you give us a quick timeline of what needs to be done to get the Mdac2 into production, and delivered into our hands, with an estimate as it currently looks of when each stage will be completed. Obviously leaving the SoC streamer and ADC for later makes complete sense. Is the design now complete?

I just purchased some 0.3% 3600pF Mica's from Ukraine - but styrenes have lower dialectic absorption so would be better...

Styrenes would probably not live long in the very hot class A environment of MDAC/FDAC.

Maybe the heat is also the problem with those bulging caps.

It's just not "normal" to see so many bulging caps inside hifi devices, or is it?

Cheers,
Achim

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back