advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I imagine it's more like sitting in an airplane ready to taxi and takeoff, but REALLY needing to go to the toilet. And the plane getting delayed. And delayed. Those people would reeaaly like to finish the journey as soon as possible, trust me. :)

John.... Wonderful news.

Relax...the fun is in the journey not the destination... Or something like that...

I totoaly agree, hope to hear more from Johns trip to china, starting up production line ect...Eaven if I have to drag my a.. to Cz ;).

Best
T.

I really did buy into John's pursuit knowing of his engineering experience and his juxtaposition of actual experienced based findings which I agree with, so I won't be throwing any tantrums but I would like some reasonable expectations if possible. It at least helps me to know whether or not I should throw some dosh at an interim device or have my MDAC upgraded before the caps throw in the towel.

I don't mind if it's Xmas 2017 that the thing comes to fruition - it's been a few years now, so what's another one? They seem to go by faster than the previous ones anyway but when things draw to a close I can't deny I'll get quite excited and with production being feasibly close now I could easily see (testing aside) a minimal viable product being in the hands of a few by April with effort. But I could also see it being September if it aims to be an optimal viable product.

Above all I want this to be a labour of love and not an obligation with a sense of regret.

Reading between the lines, John mentions 'other work' these days...

We appear to have moved from a position where he was working full-time exclusively on PFM projects which leads me to assume our projects will be fitted in 'as and when'. This implies further slippage.

I accept that John needs to pay bills - I only request transparency. Someone else has already said that expectation management is important. It is now.

p.s. I will be ecstatic if it is pointed out that I am imagining this. I am not preparing to be ecstatic any time soon.

Keith.

Perhaps you should rename yourself Seagull Audio?
Come in, shit all over a thread and fly off again.

Have you every made anything other than a name for yourself?

Just saying...

Even if I have to drag my a.. to Cz ;)

Any time your in the area its "expected" you will visit :) plenty happening here ATM and the system getting better everyday now that we are into serous listening sessions - plenty of prototypes now floating around the lab :)

4 cnc machines is way overkill for 100ish detox 100ish fdac and 20ish vfet chassis, regardless of unit cost

We have plans for more mass market designs once the MDAC2 / FDAC & Detox are manufactured - with FDAClite, FDAC and Detox if there's demand will continue onto "Monthly" production slots (granted the FDAC will be a 5K DAC so very limited sales)....

We also have active plans for a "miniature" power amplifiers and other products to keep the line busy - there are a few off-spin designs from FDAC technology in the near term road map - with the FDAC / VFET's being the Reference designs.

Expect to see some very affordable CNC'ed designs in the near future after Detox & MDAC2 :)

WRT to the power amplifiers, our recent experience with the PRIMARE has really pressed home how bad expensive power amplifiers can be - and if owners are to hear what we hear here in the lab within the MDAC2 price range then we need to be able to offer and affordable system - so matching Power Amps.

A part of this recent trip to China was how to offer an affordable Solid CNC'ed amplifier chassis and the recent development has made this practical :) ... So if plans pan out after VFET we plan a pair of truly balanced 100W Mini Mono Blocks for around GBP500 a pair.

I can say that a "mere" 4 CNC machines although game changing for us (and very much appreciated) is "peanuts" for my friend - such is the scale of wealth in China....

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

The problem with not taking oneself too seriously is the tendency not to take other people that seriously either.......and maybe to enjoy the inevitable over-reaction.

Lighten up, chaps - you'll gain a few more years to enjoy the music. :)

Part of the recent Asia trip was to work on reducing the Detox BOM cost (Bill of Materials) - this has started to pay off with daily Emails from the various critical part vendors I met with - Europe is just so out of touch with reality when it comes to component pricing - I expected it to be bad, but not this bad!

I had based my BOM costing on a mix of known Asia vendor pricing or European catalogue pricing when I had no Asian vendor... I just shake my head when I see how far out the European pricing is!

For example a 20W Flexible foil cable cost price in Europe 2.70 Euros each (cable manufactured in China), Asia US$ 0.056 its almost daylight robbery trying to manufacture here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back