advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yes, the 2 front panel connectors! 41 it is!

I think I need more devices!

Regarding those short HDMI cables: I imagine they might be really stiff. Could be hard to connect two devices if the cables need to be twisted 180 degrees.

You had me worried there for a moment! (I just checked with a cable) they will not need twisting when the units are stacked above each other as they will need to be for the Clock interface.

I'm not sure what's this recent talk about master-slave and daisy-chain using HDMI. Is it about support for HDMI-CEC?

I'm not sure what's this recent talk about master-slave and daisy-chain using HDMI. Is it about support for HDMI-CEC?

OK, there is a HDMI Video output from the FDAC's integrated Linux system which we might expand upon with future software updates and other features.

There are also x2 HDMI connectors (but these don't carry HDMI video signals, they are a dedicated interface bus between FDAC's) which can be used to link upto x3 extra FDACs to increase the number of audio channels (for Surround sound or Active speaker systems etc).

With x1 Master and x3 slaved FDAC's you can have x8 Audio outputs and even upto x8 ADC inputs if the Master / Slaves are all FDAC's L3's.

There will also be a future option to add a HDMI input card (via the expansion connector) to extract Multi channel audio / Pure DSD from Blueray / SACD players like the Oppo.

So i'm trying setup our audio system to listen to the Detox - but at the moment my Martin Logan's sound very "shouty" :( they really need subwoofers - and even so I'm not sure if they will work well in there current placement.

Also - Where are the VFET amplifiers?

I had a lovely pair of Celestion 6000 sub-woofers that worked well with the CLS, but I loaned them to Rob Watts when we worked together and sadly never got them back :(

I ordered a S/H Rel sub, its hard to find anyone who will ship to the Czech Rep.

I also have a pair of ML Aeons that have been in the "Damp" basement for the past 4 years - they did not work well in China but that might have as much to do with the local 100% humidity... but I suspect the panels are now too leaky, for sure the 4 years sitting in the basement will not have helped matters - but I'll brave it (They are rather heavy to drag to the lab), allow them to dry and try them out - but sadly I don't hold out much hope...

Sitting downstairs in the Lab below the CLS playing in the room above and I have more Bass in the Lab then I hear in the room with the CLS's!

but at the moment my Martin Logan's sound very "shouty"

Maybe they need vacuuming too much dust makes the membrane too heavy.

also they may need some damping behind them to prevent cancellation from the rear wave.
Some useful insight here.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sound-lab-1-electrostatic-loudspeaker#ub8cQE4de8isSVuo.97

A little rambling but page 3 starts to get to the point.

"Also - Where are the VFET amplifiers?" Been looking for mine too :) maybe Rob Watts has them also..

This is just the digital PCB with its connectors - the Analogue board is mounted above in its own fully screen enclosure (if you opt for the fully screen chassis). In fact both the Analogue and Digital PCB's are completely enclosed in there own CNC milled screen chassis - built like a sandwich, with the analogue section "stacked above the digital PCB.

This allows a fully featured Digital signal path (DSP's / FPGA / Linux ARM CPU) that does not interfere with the all important "analog" section - its like working on two different sections in complete isolation.

When you remove the top lid and then screening chassis you see the analogue board, flip the DAC over and remove the bottom lid and screened chassis cover and you see the digital PCB. The boards are connected via electrical connections that pass through the "center' of the screened sandwich construction, insuring the shortest and most direct signal path - while the digital and analogue sections are screened and electrically isolated.

The whole construction allows us to offer the most flexible and advanced features without compromising on the fundamentally important audio quality.

Having Jarek on board allows us to really expand the digital features as the Digital PCB is a beast of a design - without loosing sight of the fact that what matters most to everyone is the Audio quality :)

The L3 has x2 pairs of analogue inputs and both the L2 and L3 have AV bypass. The XLR's you see on the Digital PCB are AES / EBU digital "SPDIF" input (for DAC) and output (ADC) used in the Pro Audio environment, some of the first units are scheduled to be used in recording studios to capture directly from Master Tape in DSD as LakeWest "Demo" Audio files :)

That's great. Thanks John

Haven't posted here for ages as I didn't want to clutter the thread with useless rubbish, but today I've changed my mind as I'm excited and I love all those connections! To know that at the center of them all is an EQ as well is pretty cool - I'm using a MiniDSP EQ right now and it has too few connections to be truly useful, but the results can be quite something if you need the extra tweaks.

Hope you guys are doing well. Although I'm not posting much, I'm here lurking & sending positive vibes!

We can supply BNC to RCA adapters, with the change to FDAC FWC we now use full size XLR's throughout.
John, is it not possible to have at least some RCA inputs so we can use existing high quality cables without an additional adapter in the signal path?

Sibbers,

Thank you for the positive Energy - I was pretty depressed yesterday as my Martin Logan's fail to deliver there magic they sounded really "Shouty" with a bit of playing around today and things are already sounding better and with the Sub woofer on the way I hope that by the end of the week it will be all smiles here again in Czech Rep :)

I guess its good news that I'm getting the system setup once again as it means a design is nearing the end of its development :)

I'm wondering if I'll hear a difference with the Detox in the system - I know how it performs technically, but what does this translate into during listening?

While I'm typing this I'm think why is there so much more Bass downstairs form the system playing above! I'm not sure what Jarek will think when the Subwoofers going!

John, is it not possible to have at least some RCA inputs so we can use existing high quality cables without an additional adapter in the signal path?

From a Termination perspective the RCA is so sub optimal that the adapter offers very little pulse abbreviation (distortion) - the RCA connector itself is so much worst. The RCA has no place in High quality signal transmission - but an RCA on the FDAC cheapens its performance and supports a really foul "standard" that I want no part of!

Once we perform TDR test of the Digital PCB I can show the pulse distortion introduced by the RCA connector verse BNC with RCA adapter and you will understand where I'm coming from.

That said, the AES-EBU Pro standard XLR is no better!

That said, the AES-EBU Pro standard XLR is no better!

True, that's why they are slowly moving over to RJ45 or even Ethercon connectors and CAT5/CAT7 cables. No problem running 4 stereo channels over a single cable.

Or unbalanced AES3id with BNC for long connections >50m.

OH I'm a much happier bunny here in Czech Rep. this evening.

So I unpacked the Martin Logan Aeons whose box had decomposed as dump from the ground seeped it the carton.... I did not hold out much hope...

Dragged them them into the lab and washed away the white blotches of mold on the cabinets... allowed them to dry out little and surprisingly they work really really well - its so good to hear "real" HiFi once again - the ML Aeons are a surprisingly good speaker...!

For the past for years I've been using a pair of small box speakers and going back to ESL's is a revaluation... I feel I lost 4 years! must be something to do with February 29th!

The system no means perfect ATM but I have something to work with - once I get accustomed to the sound which takes a few days then I'll try the Detox...

Matt,

You have the ML with the X-Stat panels - I heard these at CES and they are really stunning, even at a show :)

Yesterday I was contemplating ordering new ML from the US as European prices are just so crazy...

Like you, I'm really looking forward to the FDAC - as even upstairs I can hear limitations, hard to say how much is the Amps or the MDAC...

Using ESL's is like pealing an Onion, they make no excuses in highlighting deficiencies in your system - they grab you by the neck and rub your face in it saying "hear how bad this is"!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back