advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, failure of the digital luddite to understand...

Don't be so hard on yourself: very few of us understand all the minutiae.

And Luddites aimed to destroy all the new technology, rather than figure it out. (Hard to see the 'benefits' when they include starvation for you and your family.)

Again, failure of the digital luddite to understand...

I get that the DETOX, unlike the REGEN, was not necessarily designed for all DACs/systems but if I understand correctly (and quite likely I do not) that USB2.0 is needed for formats with resolutions greater than 24/96 including DSD, DXD, etc., is it not important that DETOX also "work" with USB2.0 on the MDAC and FDAC, hopefully with trickledown affect on non-JW designs?
Posted on behalf of the minority of non M/FDAC subscribers.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment on all of this but it's worth bearing in mind that

a. without an mdac or fdac, you won't be able to use the clock lock (and I think the decorrelation mode).
b. if you want to use usb 2.0 you won't have galvanic isolation unless your dac has it or you use another solution.

whether any of that matters is another question.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment on all of this but it's worth bearing in mind that

a. without an mdac or fdac, you won't be able to use the clock lock (and I think the decorrelation mode).

The decorrelation mode functions without the Clock Lock, however it performs better when starting with known variables (Clocks are locked)...

I suspect you will still hear the effects of the decorrelation mode.

b. if you want to use usb 2.0 you won't have galvanic isolation unless your dac has it or you use another solution.

whether any of that matters is another question.

a) John has previously indicated decorrelation will still work but better with clocklock;

b) I have galvanic isolation between PC and DAC provided by Adnaco Glass/USB connection but target end does use 5V (LPS in my case) for bus which passes data to DAC;
Since my DAC is self-powered, will an Sbooster Vbus (5V) Isolator provide the galvanic isolation you speak of?

As you indicated, Adamdea, YMMV (as always).

Hello John,

am i correct in thinking that to stream from NAS to Fdac i will need to have hardwear/pc in the middle? It wouldn't just be the case of having software from the likes of Roon or Daphile loaded onto Fdac and wi fi connected to the storage device for playback? Sorry in advance if this type of question has already been asked.
I (as i'm sure many) want to keep to a minimum box count, but i don't mind having something the size of a Rpi/odroid for duties if required.

Apologies in advance for lack of understanding:confused:

Steven.

Hello John,

am i correct in thinking that to stream from NAS to Fdac i will need to have hardwear/pc in the middle? It wouldn't just be the case of having software from the likes of Roon or Daphile loaded onto Fdac and wi fi connected to the storage device for playback? Sorry in advance if this type of question has already been asked.

Steven.

Presumably you could also use a UPnP/dlna client, rather than a PC, and run the digital output into the FDAC.

- Richard.

Thank's Richard.

oh boy, another thing to research, digest and understand. I think i've fried my brain a little reading about, wi fi routers, NAS dives, DSP room correction, playback formats, streaming services, audio players.......holy moly, breath, just breath.

+1 on Raspberry Pi and RuneAudio. The new control app works a treat on an Android tablet too, so no need for Apple products.

John once told me the best output from a Pi would be from the USB, using the Detox. As the output is already stunning (and recently easily beat an Auralic Aries Mini using FLAC files into an MDAC in a blind test), I'm waiting for my Detox with eager anticipation.

p.s. Happy to take offers on a little-used redundant Digi+ board... :)

p.p.s If anyone is put off that you have to download the app and configure the Pi before it can work, PM me - it's not difficult once you know how and I'd be happy to advise. For under £40 to try it, it's not a particularly difficult decision.

+1 on Raspberry Pi and RuneAudio. The new control app works a treat on an Android tablet too, so no need for Apple products.

Indeed, dac+raspi make very user friendly combination (you dont even need NAS, simple usb stick plugged into raspi will do), but it definitely needs Detox.

Thank's Richard.

oh boy, another thing to research, digest and understand. I think i've fried my brain a little reading about, wi fi routers, NAS dives, DSP room correction, playback formats, streaming services, audio players.......holy moly, breath, just breath.

scubaboy,

IIRC, FDAC will be able to do playback straight from SDcard/USB stick/external HDD/SSD (which MDAC cant do), so if fact no need for any extra devices :)

Hello John,

I (as i'm sure many) want to keep to a minimum box count, but i don't mind having something the size of a Rpi/odroid for duties if required.

Apologies in advance for lack of understanding:confused:

Steven.
Steven,

If your NAS is e.g. a Synology or QNAP you can install LMS.

LMS will be able to stream directly to FDAC which will have Squeezebox functionality build. FDAC could possibly run LMS as well which would be good enough for most people (excluding).

No need for Raspberry Pi or any other additional boxes.

Personally I don't care about the number of boxes I just want the ultimate experience which is Roon running on a fast server.

(Based on your technical skills) FDAC will be able to play from almost anything. Including SMB or NFS exported shares from a NAS, no roon/squeeze*/dlna/etc. required.

It may not be officially supported by John or his team :rolleyes: , but it will (very likely) be possible.

Love the idea I can get rid of the SBT and stream from my Qnap NAS to the FDAC!

I've had a look at Roon a couple of times but I'm not sure what the benefits (that I actually need) really are? Can it run straight off the NAS?

Love the idea I can get rid of the SBT and stream from my Qnap NAS to the FDAC!

I've had a look at Roon a couple of times but I'm not sure what the benefits (that I actually need) really are? Can it run straight off the NAS?
Yes, because you already have installed LMS on your Qnap it will see the FDAC as a SBT :cool:

(Based on your technical skills) FDAC will be able to play from almost anything. Including SMB or NFS exported shares from a NAS, no roon/squeeze*/dlna/etc. required.

It may not be officially supported by John or his team :rolleyes: , but it will (very likely) be possible.

I think you need to expand on that. Is this just going to be possible for people with your level of knowledge of software?

I think you need to expand on that. Is this just going to be possible for people with your level of knowledge of software?
Not really, just some basic unix/linux skills should be enough to mount a CIFS or NFS volume. Maybe John's team will design a nice GUI for it as well, I can't really make any promises for them. :)

As far as I know, there is going to be a USB host port (ie. for plugging in a keyboard) and a HDMI out, which should result in a decent way to set up these "features".

But why would you want to?

If you got squeezebox and maybe even Roon then you don't need to fiddle with Linux.
Except maybe for editing the fstab file to mount a CIFS share. Just like Vortexbox, piCorePlayer etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back