advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accoring to the new spec sheet, the FDAC lite has a "High Isolation, Ultra Low noise, Low impedance PSU", but misses "Internal HQ 115V / 230V PSU".

Will the FDAC lite PSU be internal?

We are not certain at this time... We might use the MDAC style AC adaptor - safety certifications runs to about US$5K, something we can avoid if we use an external adaptor...

We are also aiming for a small footprint DAC - an internal transformer significantly increase the size.... we are still "Up in the air" about the FDACLite PSU.

Jarek's here tomorrow - we will better define the FDACLite.

I think the volume difference is the most plausible explanation for the differences you hear. Volume differences can be experienced as a change in quality. Although the difference in volume is small, it is IMHO a more plausible cause of a perception of changes in bass or mid than a minute amount of pre-or post ringing at inaudible frequencies, or the complexity thing (whatever that means).

First - I'm not certain that there is a 0.2dB Difference with all filters its simply too small to care about - A "Flat" across the spectrum 0.2dB difference in level simply will not be heard - I can "only" just hear a 1dB change in level.

Its simply nonsense to put the difference in SQ to a flat 0.2dB change! in level! Have you seen the difference between amplifier gains and speaker to speaker matching!!!! 0.2dB is Minuscule!

The sound of the MDAC does not change as you vary the output level - changing the level by 1dB does not bring the sound quality difference you hear between filters - THIS IS A CRITICAL POINT.

For best operation with a SE RCA input source wire the lead exactly as indicated in the link (where Pin 1 & 3 are Grounded at the RCA Cable end - Not at the XLR cable end) - this results in a Pseudo Balanced connection.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/PseudoDiffCable.jpg

This also applies to the Phono stage inputs when using a "Standard" SE wired turntable output.

Yes the same output level as CDQ / MDAC.

Hi John
Thank you for your reply I know your time is valuable and I dont like to waste it.
I think I understand now that the XLR plug should be wired as normal.
But at the RCA plug the cold wire from pin 3 and braid from pin 1 should go to the body and the hot wire from pin 2 should go to the centre pin.
Just one other thing to complicate the issue is that I have just received the XLR plugs and there is 4th connection to the body of the XLR plug. Should I ignore this or should I connect the braid to this as well.

Should I ignore this or should I connect the braid to this as well.

I guess this is the connection to the Shell - and its hard to say as it depends on the systems Grounding - I suggest trying first without the any connection to this pin.

First - I'm not certain that there is a 0.2dB Difference with all filters its simply too small to care about - A "Flat" across the spectrum 0.2dB difference in level simply will not be heard - I can "only" just hear a 1dB change in level.

Its simply nonsense to put the difference in SQ to a flat 0.2dB change! in level! Have you seen the difference between amplifier gains and speaker to speaker matching!!!! 0.2dB is Minuscule!
Well yes. But much bigger than lots of other differences people claim to hear. Are there any other significant differences between the OS and sharp filters? (OT is hardly a mystery)

The Sharp filter is a "Half Rate Filter" -3dB @ Fs half, while the OS is "correct" in having full stop band attenuation by Fs half.

The Min Phase also has Full attenuation I believe by Fs half... Its been a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back