advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Tec?

The audio stream is encrypted over HDMI - well you need to authentic first then the host streams unencrypted audio.

Space Tec?

The audio stream is encrypted over HDMI - well you need to authentic first then the host streams unencrypted audio.

That was a typo :confused: there was talk earlier of a HDMI board that would receive the DSD data from an oppo player that was my question.

Yes - we still plan to release a HDMI board the plugs into the FDAC's digital Expansion slot for DSD extraction from SACD.

Hi John

ESS have announced their Pro series DAC chips ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO said to be pin-compatible upgrades for the previous ES9018S and ES9016S. Don't know when production quantities will be available, but sounds ideal if truly "pin-compatible". We can but hope these will be bug free :rolleyes:

KR

Hi John

ESS have announced their Pro series DAC chips ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO said to be pin-compatible upgrades for the previous ES9018S and ES9016S. Don't know when production quantities will be available, but sounds ideal if truly "pin-compatible". We can but hope these will be bug free :rolleyes:

KR

No good for our application as we require a mode that is not available in the ES9038.

We will use the ES9038 in the FDAC Lite as it has no FPGA.

John, did you just mix up 9038 and 9028? Or is the 9038 also pin-compatible with the 9018?

@John

postbox full can you confirm what speaker posts will be on rear of VFET, keen to relocate them as close to my speakers as per your advice so looking to source new cables in run up to supply date

I'm beginning to wonder if the FDAC Lite will sound superior to the FDAC: it will have a better case, the lack of FGPA will make it simpler, which I think may be beneficial for sound quality (all other things being equal, which of course they never actually are), and now it seems it will also have a superior DAC chip!

I say this as somebody who thinks the filters built into the DAC chip (especially slow roll-off) are unquestionably superior sounding to any of the M-DAC's DSP filters, which I'm speculating may be due to the extra complexity introduced by the latter.

Actually, the only thing the FDAC lite has in advantage is a DAC IC with a slightly better spec sheet. The rest needs to be seen. Apparently there will be a CNC milled chassis option for FDAC L2 & L3 (MM/MC).

The design with FPGA will be more complex, but on the other hand you'll get the advanced clock circuit and several other features at a later point. Like the FPGA modulator and (IIRC) FPGA based volume control. Not to mention DSP based features like eq, room correction, crossover, ...

I think it'll come come down to what you're looking for, Simple DAC vs. Fully loaded digital platform.

I'm beginning to wonder if the FDAC Lite will sound superior to the FDAC: it will have a better case, the lack of FGPA will make it simpler, which I think may be beneficial for sound quality (all other things being equal, which of course they never actually are), and now it seems it will also have a superior DAC chip!

I say this as somebody who thinks the filters built into the DAC chip (especially slow roll-off) are unquestionably superior sounding to any of the M-DAC's DSP filters, which I'm speculating may be due to the extra complexity introduced by the latter.

I cannot discuses details at this time but the FDAC WILL sound better then the FDAClite as we are doing something rather special with the pair of ESS9018's...

The the ES9038 redesigned digital sections (Bug fixes and improvements) - however with the later FDAC firmware we will not be using digital sections of the ESS9018.

I'm not sure what you mean by DSP filters as the MDAC has no DSP - sound quality as very dependent upon system and personal preferences, almost every MDAC I've had here in for repair is set to one of the Optimal transient filters - I've seen one with Minimum Phase.

John
Is the "something rather special" off loading all but the basic conversion to the FPGA, or is it something proprietary . . . .

I'm beginning to wonder if the FDAC Lite will sound superior to the FDAC: it will have a better case, the lack of FGPA will make it simpler, which I think may be beneficial for sound quality ..

Is the FDAC Lite going to be made available now? Last thing I remember reading it was only going to be something for JohnW to develop as a test bed on the way to the FDAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back