advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you John! I very much appreciate your goodwill.

I clearly see there could be a even cost balance for me, but that is just to vague. Besides that, the form factor really matters to me. What happened to your idea for the MDAC2 as a studio DAC? Does a studio need a big and heavy high end chassis?

I don’t need all the additional stuff, the best shot miniDSP has on a DSP is a 24/96 equalizer, and even if they promised 192/24 for there Dirac solution, it has not happened. Let’s not talk about DSD processing …

I can not imagine that SQ can be much improved in 2 months, when the whole project took 4 years.

And last, I don’t see it happen, that the Fusion DAC will be there before christmas.

So, no thank you, I don’t want to go further. Let’s discuss the details in person when your back from china. I’m sure in an other friendly Skype call we will be able to sort things out. :)

NuTron,

Why would you think the FWC adds any delay over the standard footprint Chassis? it makes my task sooooo much easier as I don't have to design convoluted heatsink profiles for the Analogue stage PSU, worry about heat dissipation levels in such a small enclosure (and as a direct result reduce the Anlaogue stage ClassA standing current), I also have the space require for full size analogue connectors + a full complement of Digital I/O.

Without the size restriction its just so much easier to complete the design.

I had planned to compromise the complexity of the analogue stage PSU to fit within the original MDAC chassis (and manage the heat dissipation levels) - this alone will bring a decent improvement - 4 years was spent developing the ideas and technology not so much this individual design. The FUSION dac will now be better for the shift to FWC :)

am slightly lost as to what the latest view on the total cost is likely to be?

To PFM founding members still the same ball park (plus an additional GBP250 to GBP300 for the FWC). The idea is you can sell your MDAC for more to fund the FWC if funds are tight.

BTW, the FWC Fusion DAC will support Spotify + Pandora etc. streaming which is not bad as I listen to news broadcast etc.
Just interested - how would that be possible? Ethernet/wifi connection on the digital PCB?
Thanks.

Hi JohnW,
Now with the partership with miniDSP do you think (maybe as a future upgrade) that hdmi will the possible?
How do you plan now to accomodate the slave units? Will they require a fwc each slave?
Can you please share the plans for the slaves now as things are changing?

Thanks

I'm an outsider on this. Like a few blokes I can imagine I'm not alone in not realising just what the "MDAC first listen" thread was all about.

I joined PFM and only renewed my interest in hifi after this project was muted.
I'd not a clue what the MDAC thread was about and never even read it as I had my own MDAC and was over the moon with it.

However, John is kindly now doing some work on my DAC and the penny dropped as to what is evolving after speaking to him.
Hence I've now been catching up on the thread over the last few days.

I think it's great what John and the backers of this project are trying to achieve, it's bloody great when a group of blokes do things like this, I've experienced it before in the car club I'm a member of.

I also see some chaps are not 100% happy for varying reasons as the programme evolves, that is life and with things like this is normal and not something anyone should take flack for.....it's only a hobby.

I've an idea to put to John. I personally like what's happening, I trust John and know he's a good bloke. To ease any financial constraints that may sap time of development and to also maybe help out with any monies needed to be paid back to people for the chassis ,how about opening up the pre. order books once more to guys like me who knew nothing about this until a couple of weeks ago.

i.e. a new thread inviting backers in no uncertain terms. Deal would be you make a one off payment to put you on par with what the other guys that have paid via the instalments.......is it 400e/£?

I'd probably be in and I'm sure a good few more may be in too. Maybe that would give John the financial boost to really attack this and be confident that a cracking product was put together and supplied in double quick time.

Only a thought.

Just interested - how would that be possible? Ethernet/wifi connection on the digital PCB?
Thanks.

The RF module supports WiFi + Wired Ethernet BUT don't expect to much from the Chinese developed software stacks. At most I hope we can get access to the source code and customize further at a later date.

The module cost is around US$20, so the way I look at if it works then good, if not, then well what to expect for US$20.

If it works then we can support 24/192KHz.

Hi John,

Hopefully, once the Fusion DAC settles down you will have time to work on VFET. Anymore update on that or is that a conversion requiring another JD and coke? :)

The RF module supports WiFi + Wired Ethernet BUT don't expect to much from the Chinese developed software stacks. At most I hope we can get access to the source code and customize further at a later date.

The module cost is around US$20, so the way I look at it it it works then good, if not, then well what to expect for US$20.

If it works then we can support 24/192KHz.

Hi John,

How does the module interface with the DAC? I2S?

For anyone with any remaining doubts ( surely there can't be many) don't underestimate the benefit of the HQ PS we are now going to get. If you talk to any designer of hi fi equipment they will tell you at length just how important the PS is in terms of impact on SQ. And then compare the price of the MCRU PS ( which is designed and built by a friend of mine so I know it is not overpriced) with what we will be paying for the FWC. Then factor in all the other benefits and the fact you can sell your current MDAC should you choose to do so. Like I said before, a no brainer.

The VFET chassis is being designed in conjunction with the FWC, so I expect samples of both within a month or so.

it's bloody great when a group of blokes do things like this, I've experienced it before in the car club I'm a member of.

Agreed

how about opening up the pre. order books once more to guys like me

Stick around: in a week or two there'll be a few spare places up for grabs.

There's a limit to how many units John can build and test if he's going to make it home for Christmas.

A production run after its all done does sound exciting, and I'd love for it take off and have some mass appeal if possible. Any chance for this first PFM editions to say 'limited PFM edition x of 200" or something to differentiate them as part of the special first few? Maybe with a signature, John? That would be pretty cool I think (providing your handwriting is better than mine).

I've an idea to put to John. I personally like what's happening, I trust John and know he's a good bloke. To ease any financial constraints that may sap time of development and to also maybe help out with any monies needed to be paid back to people for the chassis ,how about opening up the pre. order books once more to guys like me who knew nothing about this until a couple of weeks ago.

i.e. a new thread inviting backers in no uncertain terms. Deal would be you make a one off payment to put you on par with what the other guys that have paid via the instalments.......is it 400e/£?

I'd probably be in and I'm sure a good few more may be in too. Maybe that would give John the financial boost to really attack this and be confident that a cracking product was put together and supplied in double quick time.

Only a thought.

This is a good idea, but have all of the first 200 places gone?

I have held off paying £400 via the Lakewest website, because I don't know the state of the game at the moment.

I had planned to wait until the TDAC was on the horizon. However, I would now like to join the Fusion DAC project if possible.

The Fusion DAC in a FWC, with a possible CD player and other features including maybe phono inputs, is a really attractive proposition.

John, are you likely to open a new thread asking for backers for the FWC Fusion DAC? (I hope I've got all the audio terminology right here). I met you and Renata when you demoed the Audiolab CDQ in London a few years ago.

Jack

It looks like we are now on a new chassis and I am quite happy with that as long as it's black :).

Regards,

Kevin

Nobody has yet jumped in on this one. Maybe I misunderstood something, but I thought that the FWC would be styled to match the VFET mockup pictures which John showed a while back, i.e. bright polished Al. This was part of the dealbreaker for me.

Any comments/corrections?

Bob

Yes I2S + an SPI port for configuration etc.

I have samples of the module on my desk at miniDSP I'll post pics tomorow.

thanks John.....mmmmmmmm.....my Raspberry PI has I2S output.........mmmmmmm I wonder :)

Any room for a PI in the large case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back