advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also happy to cough up for #2 : £100 + FWC "cost". Having tried quite a few £1k~ DACs already, I suspect this will be huge value for money even with the extra £100 cost.

In our scenario you were listening to <£200 DACs....maybe time to go try some >5K models.

At the £1K retail mark you can't beat the MDAC even now after so long since its launch! With an after-market Linear PSU you can add almost another £1K to your bill to beat the MDAC.....just based on my limited experience of course.....the £1.5K Naim Streamer is no where close to the MDAC + PSU....I found it tinny and harsh in comparison.

It will probably be less than 20 maybe even only 10

Yes, most likely so. Still there's a need to take care of whoever decides to drop out.

I guess we're close to 200 project shareholders at this point. Guesstimating that somewhere between 25-50 of us has raised there voices over the last few days here on this topic.

Yes, most likely so. Still there's a need to take care of whoever decides to drop out.

I guess we're close to 200 project shareholders at this point. Guesstimating that somewhere between 25-50 of us has raised there voices over the last few days here on this topic.

Interesting....we have lots of silent partners!...hope they know where they are being led?.....I guess most will be pleasantly surprised, I know I would be if I hadn't seen the forum for the last 6 months.:)

Does not change any validity in having a Fair Exit agreement.

I don't recall anyone saying such should not exist. It is not helping with clarity for progress to keep going on about it though.

Maybe for those who only wish for the existing case size could be provided with the Fusioned Mdacs of those going with the full width case ??

The issue of incorporating a CD player would involve tooling a separate front panel again for possibly a low number ?

I suggest that the poll also asks this, to establish numbers.

For some Mdac2 sponsors I guess they may not wish their choice being made public. Otherwise we could just stick a pole type thread on here.
More of an admin headache for John and Renata if not.

I have no sympathy for any objections based on the hassle of having to sell a current MDAC. I have a Fusion MDAC which cost a lot more than a standard unit and it will be redundant once I get the new unit. I will sell it for what I can get. C'est la vie.
As for having having to change racks, cables, move furniture around etc, that is just part of the collateral damage you have to accept when you get into this hobby.

+1

- Richard

WTF? Fair exit? Nah, in it for the long haul. Sure, I had never planned on an entirely new case, but I quite like the idea. My only worry about the entire MDAC2 thing is that every time I drop out from the thread for a few hours/days/weeks/months, when I return the thing has sprouted yet another new feature or option or whatever, a bit like some mythical audio beast - a hifidra, if you will. Creeping Featuritis at work.

I should be able to find a home for my donor MDAC, and wouldn't really expect anyone else to compensate me for buying it in the first place, but I do sympathise with those that have committed to doing so via JohnW, but surely nobody would really want to bail at this point?

Anyways, my silver MDAC might end up forming a third system in my house.... not that I even need two at the moment........ such is life. As you were, chaps...

The annoying thing is a decision to go to a full size case could of been made ages ago and saved people from trying to source a donor unit and wasting their money. I bought a donor unit because the project said that I would need a mdac case to house the mdac2 electronics and now I am going to have plash on a full sized case as well at what cost.

On catching up more on the thread it seems I am being asked to contribute to the cost of salvage units when I spent £400 buying a donor unit. I am going to be hit by a double whammy on this. If we are going to a FWC I will sell the unit I bought at a loss as I can see so many second hand units hitting the market but I am not happy to cover other peoples losses who bought a salvage unit when I have invested extra into the project by getting a donor unit I was told I would need when I signed up for the project.

John has been very transparent about cost splitting in the spirit of a kickstarted type project, but these losses due to iteration would be considered development costs by most. Let's wait and see what he suggests as nothing is actually firm right now.

On catching up more on the thread it seems I am being asked to contribute to the cost of salvage units when I spent £400 buying a donor unit. I am going to be hit by a double whammy on this. If we are going to a FWC I will sell the unit I bought at a loss as I can see so many second hand units hitting the market but I am not happy to cover other peoples losses who bought a salvage unit when I have invested extra into the project by getting a donor unit I was told I would need when I signed up for the project.

Have you enjoyed using the Mdac during this time and over the next few months ?

Selling used audio kit always involves a cost/loss. If not it would be a business not a hobby

As JW has said he is prepared to forgo the case/power supply development cost.

The end result is that we will get and improved power supply, improved functionality, and improved SQ.
Have a functional MDAC to do what we like with all for not much more than the cost of an after market power supply.

Sibbers

Covering other peoples losses are not development cost. I have my own losses to cover without other peoples loss. I am not well off like some people on here and can just about afford the cost of the project without covering other peoples losses.

Backing this kind of development project is about the pursuit. The reward at the end is heavily reduced hardware which has been built free of project managers and suits who care about shareholders and therefore rush dates and force compromises - if a design decision to change the containing box forces extra costs through losses, then that is a 'development cost' (imho).

I do appreciate your point of view and I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but something has to give somewhere. Got any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back