advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if EVERYONE chose to upgraded to the fullwidth chassis, then I'd no longer have the rear panel width restriction and could use full save XLR connectors for the ADC inputs and Balanced headphone outputs.

Full width chassis for me, as I will then have a fully functional MDAC that I can sell, if I stick with the same case I will have a PCB that will have no value.

Personally I'd prefer if everyone upgraded to the MDAC2 full width chassis - which we have provisionally called the Fusion DAC as its IPS Touch panel TFT screen allows us far more flexibility with the software and user features.
I'm not falling off my chair in surprise.
It seemed pretty obvious for months now that that was where this was heading.

I have lost track of the cost of all of this, the options, and when/if it is ever going to actually happen.

In order to help people to decide whether they want to go in for what is becoming a radically different proposition, could you clarify the cost of the new dac and the realistic timeframe when it is going to actually come into existence and be delivered. Where and by whom is it going to be assembled? Is it a kit or a complete product? is there going to be a moratorium on further alteration to the plan or is it just going to go on forever?

[Edit] Sorry if the tone of this sounds stroppy- its not meant that way: I have been very excited about the project and perhaps unfairly impatient. But I feel I am losing track.

I'm not falling off my chair in surprise.
It seemed pretty obvious for months now that that was where this was heading.

I have lost track of the cost of all of this, the options, and when/if it is ever going to actually happen.

In order to help people to decide whether they want to go in for what is becoming a radically different proposition, could you clarify the cost of the new dac and the realistic timeframe when it is going to actually come into existence and be delivered. Where and by whom is it going to be assembled? Is it a kit or a complete product? is there going to be a moratorium on further alteration to the plan or is it just going to go on forever?

[Edit] Sorry if the tone of this sounds stroppy- its not meant that way: I have been very excited about the project and perhaps unfairly impatient. But I feel I am losing track.

Agree very much. Next thing will probably be incorporating VFET amps in the chassis.

Cheers
Johan

Also, if EVERYONE chose to upgraded to the fullwidth chassis, then I'd no longer have the rear panel width restriction and could use full save XLR connectors for the ADC inputs and Balanced headphone outputs.

We could also use larger internal heatsinks which would allow us to increase the ClassA standing current which would benefit the sound quality.

Due to the internal Digital / Analogue domain galvanic isolation barrier, the Fusion DAC will befit from the HQ internal PSU.

I've always prefered the full-width chassis option, initially because JohnW would fit and test it for me, but now with the extra SQ possibilities it's become a no-brainer. The size difference is not a big issue for me either, neither is the colour anymore (my equipment is all black...but so what, I say). As for the extra cost, this too is a no-brainer for me even if the ratio saving is 1:6, that's huge and to have it personally built and tested by John is worth even more.

So I'm in for the full-width Fusion MDAC2.....my only concern is; will I be able to control it from an IR remote control unit.....I rather like the Devialet remote control (check out: http://www.devialet.co.nz/look/ ), maybe John could do/get something similar?

Agree very much. Next thing will probably be incorporating VFET amps in the chassis.

Cheers
Johan

This actually got me thinking (sorry for this but I'm sipping a beer in a resort in Laos overlooking Nam Song River), since we now have room and already a reasonable voltage swing; how hard would it be to add a decent power stage to produce say 25 Watts in 8 ohm?

Johan

As I want a slave unit as well then full width for me to looks like a lot of second hand MDACs are going to hit the bay ��

As I want a slave unit as well then full width for me to looks like a lot of second hand MDACs are going to hit the bay ��

Will be selling one and then torn on keeping/selling the one modded by JohnW (Soverign and DC+ with separate matching 5 channel STR Psu)

Down for two full width units... lol.. I dont need 3 dacs so I guess I am selling them both!

Full width here too please - I sent Renata and yourself a message earlier regarding this, respectfully :) ...many thanks, Paul

I agree it would be much preferred if there was only the full with option. The less fragmentation the better!
It is much easier to support one version then having different versions.
It will benefit us all in the long run because it will be easier to develop new features for a single version.

I always felt there was to many compromises with the original MDAC chassis, eg. mini xml, external power supply and looks.

So full with for me as well.

I wouldn't mind paying a extra for the full width chassis if its going to improve the feature set although, I have no use for the Optical Drive.
Definitely need to see some pricing John.

Martin

No room in my setup for a full width chassis.
I bought a second MDAC to have it upgraded to MDAC2.
Very happy with my MDAC Fusion and I'm sure MDAC2 will be better, but if full width is the only option, I am very sorry but will have to pass.
So hopefully the upgrade from MDAC to MDAC2 using MDAC casing will remain available

Cheers,
Johan

I don't have a Fusion, but otherwise I'm pretty much in the same position- small house, smaller stack, and also a scrap/recycled MDAC presently with John. One of my reasons for getting the MDAC in the first place was because it fits my stack (and this is my last house...). I hope I don't also have to leave the project, and I'm not sure how that would work anyway, so I'm all in favour of a (short?) run of Plan A with MDAC casing.
Cheers

Bob

For me the original MDAC casing is just fiting well into my selfmade rack. I also live in small place and have no room for a full-width chassis and a bigger rack. Hope the original plans of an MDAC to MDAC2 upgrade will stay available and supported in future firmware updates! If that can not be guaranteed, I'll have to jump ship too, sadly. :(

....mmmmmm.........alarm bells are ringing......creep and slippage.

Personally I would prefer to keep the small mdac chassis. My big concern is that this will mean the project slips again whlist the full size version is developed.

AFAIAC it should remain a secondary option to be delivered after to those that want it.

Personally I would prefer to keep the small mdac chassis. My big concern is that this will mean the project slips again whlist the full size version is developed.

AFAIAC it should remain a secondary option to be delivered after to those that want it.

Sound quality is important to some of us, most of us even.

Well, if you look at the history of this project there's already been a lot of creep and slippage.

Personally it doesn't bother me, as I think the end will justify the wait - and I'm particularly looking forward the recent addition of DSP.

John,
I am also in for the full width chassis / case.
Looks like ATC did finally beat you to the finish line, as my 100A's are in the factory for the full SL / tweeter upgrade :)
ATC was manic, SCM 40A's everywhere.
Keep up the good work!
NeilA

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back