advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I could watch a film on it, even a slight lip-sync problem would drive my crazy after a while. I could put up with it for short video clips though.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the appeal is of watching a film on a tiny screen while streaming the sound to a hifi. Why not just just use earphones (or better still, watch it on the TV?). For me, this is all about streaming music.

Same issue with the M2, agree that streaming music is what it's all about.

I have a DPA Phono stage I could loan you but it needs a PSU as it was originally powered from the main DPA Pre amplifier .

John, I totally forgot to thank you for this very kind offer, which I really appreciate, you're far too helpful!
This might not be very sensible as a short-term fix, but I'm finding it hard to resist the Rega at the moment. I've heard that it's a great match for the RP10 TT & Apheta cartridge (that I've still yet to hear!). Hopefully I'd get a decent 2nd hand price for it when the time comes for upgrading to your one :)

John,

I paid the last L2 development installment yesterday. I have been doing a bit of financial soul searching, so what with the impending new tweeter+SL upgrade to my ATC's and new slave pc for the lounge (the Mrs, as an olive branch is to have the elderly Coreduo lounge machine), I have decided to pull out of analogue, sell my unloved, little used Thorens/SME and Revox HS A77 and get my semi-retired recording engineer mate to digitize my remaining LP's and tapes. Consequently I will pull out of the L3 ADC / airplay part as I just want to concentrate on getting the best possible quality out of MDAC2, so I assume a L2+DSP+Fusion resistors will achieve this? I will amend wiki thingy accordingly.

ATB
Neil

When people are streaming music from an iPad to an AirPlay, is this music stored on the iPad? Also if you have spotify on your iPad, can you stream that to the AirPlay?

When people are streaming music from an iPad to an AirPlay, is this music stored on the iPad? Also if you have spotify on your iPad, can you stream that to the AirPlay?

Whatever can be played on the iDevice can be streamed using Airplay.

Exactly as LarsS says.
It's not so easy for Android devices though, there's no native support for AirPlay like with Apple. From what I can tell (and I'm no Android expert) you need to download a media player app that specifically supports UPnP streaming (e.g. BubbleUPnP). That's what I did, anyway.

I finally managed to open my MDAC and can also confirm that the sound quality with the case removed is superior...warmer,more seductive sound.I'm very pleased and will not replace the case until later in the year when I receive the MDAC2 from John.

I'm guessing quite a few of us (at least those without toddlers and/or pets) will be unable to resist doing the same. If you're only going to use it twice in a lifetime, the "T6 torx key star wrench " on eBay @ 1.60 is perfectly adequate.

I finally managed to open my MDAC and can also confirm that the sound quality with the case removed is superior...warmer,more seductive sound.I'm very pleased and will not replace the case until later in the year when I receive the MDAC2 from John.

My wife thought I was bonkers leaving it out of the case (and messing up the look of the living room)....but even she can tell the difference! I have also just upgraded from v8.0 to v9.0 software (Optimal Transient XD filter) and this has made it sound even better (less "digital ring" more "analoguey", but still with the detail) ...especially on classical - full blown string pieces are now better defined and less harsh.

John,

I paid the last L2 development installment yesterday. I have been doing a bit of financial soul searching, so what with the impending new tweeter+SL upgrade to my ATC's and new slave pc for the lounge (the Mrs, as an olive branch is to have the elderly Coreduo lounge machine), I have decided to pull out of analogue, sell my unloved, little used Thorens/SME and Revox HS A77 and get my semi-retired recording engineer mate to digitize my remaining LP's and tapes. Consequently I will pull out of the L3 ADC / airplay part as I just want to concentrate on getting the best possible quality out of MDAC2, so I assume a L2+DSP+Fusion resistors will achieve this? I will amend wiki thingy accordingly.

ATB
Neil

Neil,

Sorry to hear you are considering leaving the world of Analogue - I've still not heard a PCM Digital system that comes close, although I've heard "Pure" DSD based systems that are unbelievably transparent considering the "torturous" path the original analogue signal has been though.

I hate to suggest this, but the MDAC L3 digitise your analogue collection into say DSD128, then you can sell on your turntable if you still are in that frame of mind :)

Considering that we are talking about late summer / early autumn before we start shipping the first units, you might have time to gather the funds - sell the Goldfish or some such :)

I should have your dSC repaired by then :)

Also, there is more budget headroom on the L2 / L3 units, so they may come it the lower end of the budget... My only concern is cost of production here in Europe... but atleast being based in Czech Rep. we are close to the bottom of the European cost (salary) scales...

Just received a price from one of the UK's largest Acrylic Audio manufacturers
(turntable platters, covers etc) for a case with CNC routed vents and diamond polished edges.

Sounds promising (sic) I may commission one to send to John for a case off, sorry meant bake off to compare to the plydac. :D

Brian,

Yes, the difference is quite suppressing / depressing.

I remember the "fuss" when DNM first manufactured there amplifiers in acrylic cases - but now I heard the effect for myself of the MDAC's metal chassis even though its non magnetic aluminium.

Just received a price from one of the UK's largest Acrylic Audio manufacturers
(turntable platters, covers etc) for a case with CNC routed vents and diamond polished edges.

Sounds promising (sic) I may commission one to send to John for a case off, sorry meant bake off to compare to the plydac. :D

Interesting, I wonder how it will sound (and LOOK) - now you will have opened the flood gates! :D

I've just popped mine out of it's case too, I think I can also hear a difference. Also managed to find the little mod that John did :)

The plydac was intended as a 'discussion document' to see (hear) if it improved SQ.

The 'look' was compromised deliberately. By allowing the top to be screwed on or off, allows the front panel to remain fixed and the ability to swop or change main boards in a simple manner.

It would have been easier and neater for me to use ' invisible' fixings, and finish the case as a sleeve as per the original.

The original case is a work of engineering art and any alternative case would need to be of similar quality.

For example the on/off switch is attached to the mainboard, yet protrudes through the front panel which is only fixed to the case, shows how a tolerance of around 0.25 mm. is required.

Until it is proved by consensus or measurement that SQ is improved with the use of acrylic or timber casing there is little point in pursuing the matter.

But look at the impact of Fusion resistors- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

That was exactly my thinking when following up on the ERS paper: the original article on the stuff in Enjoy The Music looked too good to be true, but then I came across the statement in their 2014 Equipment Awards that "as brilliant as this DAC...... is on its own the addition of a piece of ERS paper inside the chassis took its performance over the top." (The first article also made much of its effect inside a CDP.) So, still skeptical (although maybe less so than John) I thought 'Let's spend a few bob and find out for sure.'

(Incidentally, while searching ETM, I came across an article on DIY VFET amps, most of it way over my head! :))

The topology of John's VFET amps is going to be unique - any articles you find are only relevant to the extant they talk about the actual VFETs themselves.

Brian,

Yes, the difference is quite suppressing / depressing.

I remember the "fuss" when DNM first manufactured there amplifiers in acrylic cases - but now I heard the effect for myself of the MDAC's metal chassis even though its non magnetic aluminium.

Would this have something to do with rfi reflection from the case ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back