advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a Windows PC you can upgrade & "downgrade" to your hearts content :)

V0.99 is the worst sounding release IMO.

Thanks. I tried A.08, then moved to A.10 on a Mac. Can't tell any quality difference but I like the labelled input feature. Is there some issue with A.10 vs A.08 that caused you to say the latter is more stable?

Thanks. I tried A.08, then moved to A.10 on a Mac. Can't tell any quality difference but I like the labelled input feature. Is there some issue with A.10 vs A.08 that caused you to say the latter is more stable?

I have A.10 installed since the day it was released. My M-DAC is used every day and I have absolutely no issues with it. I would say it's safe to use it.
And yes, the input labeling is fantastic!

I've never had a problem of stability with A.10

- Richard.

Quite recently someone had an issue with A0.10 - No sound with USB upon bootup, or some such... sadly I've got my head so buried in the MDAC2 design everything else is rather a blur...

Some users freakout badly when they encounter a software issue as if it was "permanent" - but really there's no need to be concerned - we consider the "Lakewest" software versions Betas that are generally pretty usable.

MDAC2 Software / Firmware will be in a constant state of flux as we add features etc.

John
I remember following the long running thread over on DIYA about the decapo 2 and being excited by the prospect of its development. It's thrilling to hear that the MDAC 2/3 will be streets ahead of that design, especially knowing we won't have to wait too much longer - relatively speaking ! :)

I'm running A.10 on all three MDACs

Been in recent conversation with a fellow PFM'er and we have developed a method to Cascode MDAC2 L2 / L3 units up to 8 audio channels streamed (4 Casaded MDAC2's) over a single USB connection or "Stereo" Multi channel active crossover (which works with both USB and SPDIF inputs).

John
I remember following the long running thread over on DIYA about the decapo 2 and being excited by the prospect of its development. It's thrilling to hear that the MDAC 2/3 will be streets ahead of that design, especially knowing we won't have to wait too much longer - relatively speaking ! :)

"Relatively Speaking" :cool: :D

I'm going to start meeting "Local" SMD vendors for MDAC2 PCB population - the VFET amps I'll hand build...

John, I really admire you & your approach.

Glutton for punishment springs to mind from time to time, but a nice warm lab & a few Czech beers seem to be the way forwards . . .

Keep up the good work, H.

;)

Been in recent conversation with a fellow PFM'er and we have developed a method to Cascode MDAC2 L2 / L3 units up to 8 audio channels streamed (4 Casaded MDAC2's) over a single USB connection or "Stereo" Multi channel active crossover (which works with both USB and SPDIF inputs).

Are you serious?

I need more boards..

Yep,

Basically it will work like this:-

One MDAC2 is the Master (and will be the first pair of channels) - and can be connected to upto 3 other MDAC2's (Via the now "multi purposed" BNC SPDIF I/O connectors). The Clocks of the "slaved" MDAC's are Synced via the Clock-Lock interface.

The Master MDAC2 will control the slaved MDAC2's (Volume level, Digital filter etc.) via embedded commands sent over the SPDIF interface.

The master MDAC2 configures its USB port to the number of channels required, converts the first two Analogue channels internally, and sends the data for the other channels over the external SPDIF digital "Outputs" - the MDAC2 has 3 BNC connectors - so if one is used as an output, then you can use the remaining 2 as inputs, if two BNC's are used as outputs, then the single remaining BNC can be used as an SPDIF input etc...

Basically I'll design the 3 rear panel BNC connectors to be Inputs or Outputs whose mode can determined "on the fly" by the user via the front panel Menu system.

Clock synchronisation is performed via optical links - and makes use of the MDAC2 L2 / L3 advanced clock option.

Each MDAC2 "Channel" can have what ever EQ is required via its onboard DSP for that channel, also each USB Audio Channel can be assigned to any unit allowing you to split physical MDAC2's as required (or just use as Stereo but each extra MDAC2 "channel" with its own EQ curve (and delay for phase alignment) for Active speaker crossover etc).

Oh great :)

So many questions...

Which format will be used to transmit the data to the slave dacs?

I need a donor unit for each slave, right?

John, I really admire you & your approach.

Glutton for punishment springs to mind from time to time, but a nice warm lab & a few Czech beers seem to be the way forwards . . .

Keep up the good work, H.

;)

Harry,

Thank you :)

Well the yet to be completed lab is indeed very warm ATM, it was 30DegC when I last checked - I have a dehumidifier drying out the structure before we can complete the internal wooden flooring / Staircase / Lab bench's etc...

I don't have time in the foreseeable future to work on the lab anyway (with MDAC2 and I MUST start on the VFET amps soon), but at this rate the new lab will be bone dry once I do have the time to work on it once again :) Still externally its basically completed so I can still work on the interior during the coming harsh winter months (I've seen -28DegC here).

When I say "new lab", consider that its only 2 floors of 5m2 each, the largest structure I could build without planning permission - so no picture of grandeur! :)

Oh great :)

So many questions...

Which format will be used to transmit the data to the slave dacs?

Clock-locked SPDIF with embedded control commands.

I need a donor unit for each slave, right?

Yes at the moment - at a later date (and as you know with me it will be much later then promised) we can make "Dumb" slave units - without front panels if we arrange a suitable chassis manufacturer.

I'm trying to make arrangements to meet the Project turntable manufacturer who are located as its so happens about 15km from us... but still no reply to my Email which is so typical for Czech Business... They have CNC machines etc.

http://www.sev-litovel.cz/

I met with them a few years back but they where very difficult to deal with - maybe I'll have better luck this time.

I'm rather hoping to find a quality SMD manufacturer local as I'd like to limited my time driving around, I've worked with a very good vendor in the past on projects for KV2audio but they are about 250km away - that's 500km return journey on slow country roads.

Excellent

DSP active crossover is what I've been hoping for for some time

Clock-locked SPDIF with embedded control commands.
Does this mean the interface is limited to 24bit/192kHz? Well, given the currently available music, it's not exactly a limitation. ;)

Yes at the moment - at a later date (and as you know with me it will be much later then promised) we can make "Dumb" slave units - without front panels if we arrange a suitable chassis manufacturer.

I'm trying to make arrangements to meet the Project turntable manufacturer who are located as its so happens about 15km from us... but still no reply to my Email which is so typical for Czech Business... They have CNC machines etc.

http://www.sev-litovel.cz/

I met with them a few years back but they where very difficult to deal with - maybe I'll have better luck this time.

Hmm, this could get expensive with my 4-way active speakers. On the other hand it might be quite worth it. The dark side is strong these days :D

How many inputs are left with three slaves?

Does this mean the interface is limited to 24bit/192kHz? Well, given the currently available music, it's not exactly a limitation. ;)

No, I should have said "SPDIF like" - but really the interface is generated by the FPGA so can do what we like - there's no hard limit on our "SPDIF like" interface as speed its basically down to the hardware.

Hmm, this could get expensive with my 4-way active speakers. On the other hand it might be quite worth it. The dark side is strong these days :D

2nd, 3rd & 4th MDAC2's L2 / L3 for multichannel systems can be offered at GBP300 each + PCB "at cost" (so long as the offer is not abused) :)

I'm trying to make arrangements to meet the Project turntable manufacturer who are located as its so happens about 15km from us...

gramofon_velky.jpg

Nice turntables though, (as an owner I would say that :D )
If you get one of those to grace the lab, I'll have to build you a nice oak stand for it :eek:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back