advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who's interested - this is a HDMI audio extractor that definitely works at 192KHz on the COAX. Alot (I've tried a few) do not do this. This is also cheap too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CE-LINK-HDMI-2CH-5-1CH-Audio-Extractor-HDMI-video-audio-extractor-SPDIF-Stereo-/231408744806?

pageimage-HDMI%20audio%20ext_500.jpg

This gizmo works very well. I use it between the m-dac and my tablet which has an hdmi output to listen to files and internet radio. I haven't tested it rigorously but the sq seems better than a direct usb link between tablet and m-dac.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi John,

I haven't received an email from Renata yet, just want to check I haven't missed it.

Thanks
Nick

Nick,

My bad, that's because I've still got your MDAC on the lab bench ATM, sorry it will be shipped tomorrow (PO open everyday here in the CZ).

John
I vote for custom VFET chassis too even if it drives up the price.
The benefit of a beefier PSU and no design limitations because of lack of space is in favor.
And better looking does not hurt either:)

And I hope that I am on the TDAC list.

Holy ...*t these ML Summits are good.... Never heard anything expansive and accurate . My heads just swimming in music .

Just thrown all sorts at them from foo fighters , dusty and of course Yes. Wow so so sweet
Supposed to be going out tonight but can't move from the sofa lol
They 're pin point accurate like my Sennheiser HD800's but just so much more

JohnW, maybe we could also make some kind of group pick up of the VFET amps.

I think I would like to pick the amp at your place, and could then distribute to the other near me.

Cz rep is only a 10 to 12 houer drive from Copenhagen, and personal, I would love to have a bear or two with you while you brag about the amp ;).

( im in Přerov from time to time, don't know how far away that is from your lab ( driving in car from Copenhagen, Denmark ))

Holy ...*t these ML Summits are good.... Never heard anything expansive and accurate . My heads just swimming in music .

Brilliant - welcome to REAL HiFi, now you can understand why I keep recommending ESLs!

You really need your VFET amps now! :eek:

JohnW, maybe we could also make some kind of group pick up of the VFET amps.

I think I would like to pick the amp at your place, and could then distribute to the other near me.

Cz rep is only a 10 to 12 houer drive from Copenhagen, and personal, I would love to have a bear or two with you while you brag about the amp ;).

( im in Přerov from time to time, don't know how far away that is from your lab ( driving in car from Copenhagen, Denmark ))

Even if the MDAC2 / VFET amps are not yet ready, you welcome to meet next time your "local" - we are about 15km from Olomouc - exit 26 (The Tesco / KFC exit) on the highway between Brno / Olomouc.

Once I've issued the Analogue board PCB, I'll start work again to complete the lab - good news is its had time to dryout :)

Cz rep is only a 10 to 12 houer drive from Copenhagen, and personal, I would love to have a beer or two with you while you brag about the amp ;).

The drive to Denmark is quick - just the Ferry that slows things down!

I once drove from Elgin (Scotland) and arrived home here in Czech in 22 hours non stop - that's 2500km in less then a day.

Google maps say Prerov is 28km away and takes 27min without traffic :)

Just thrown all sorts at them from foo fighters , dusty and of course Yes. Wow so so sweet

Headphones just don't do it for me - but yes, that's the thing about Martin Logan ESL's the resolution is like wearing headphones - but you also have soundstage and bass etc!

BTW. it takes a little time to find there best operating position, its worth playing with there toe-in angle etc.

John
I vote for custom VFET chassis too even if it drives up the price.
The benefit of a beefier PSU and no design limitations because of lack of space is in favor.
And better looking does not hurt either:)

And I hope that I am on the TDAC list.

Rune,

No increase in price - I'll try to sell the new 8200MB's I've bought for the salvage units as soon as I have the chassis safely here in Czech Rep. - I'll first have to fly to China to QC each unit before they ship - otherwise I can foresee I'll have too many problems.

Every VFET amp owner qualifies for the TDAC "At Cost" and automatically has a unit reserved :)

Headphones just don't do it for me - but yes, that's the thing about Martin Logan ESL's the resolution is like wearing headphones - but you also have soundstage and bass etc!

BTW. it takes a little time to find there best operating position, its worth playing with there toe-in angle etc.

I 'wear' my Quad Esl's like headphones, 2.0M away. (1.2M away from the back wall)

I then wheel them away so the room returns to normality (relatively !!)

Castor bases a necessity.

I 'wear' my Quad Esl's like headphones, 2.0M away. (1.2M away from the back wall)

I then wheel them away so the room returns to normality (relatively !!)

Castor bases a necessity.

The Quad's ESL63 based designs don't "beam" anywhere as bad as the Martin Logans so they are far less picky about listening position - With my CLS11's you almost need to have your head in a vice! but once you in that almost mm's wide sweat spot the SQ is breath taking! NOTHING compares.

Phils Summits are far batter WRT there dispersion characteristics as they have narrower ESL panels.

When I worked with Pink Triangle we used the Quad ESL63 and HiFi shows as they have such decent dispersion characteristics, you could never do that with my CLSII's.

Since I require too many amps, I'll wait for your cheaper amps and test them if possible

Rune,

No increase in price - I'll try to sell the new 8200MB's I've bought for the salvage units as soon as I have the chassis safely here in Czech Rep. - I'll first have to fly to China to QC each unit before they ship - otherwise I can foresee I'll have too many problems.

Every VFET amp owner qualifies for the TDAC "At Cost" and automatically has a unit reserved :)

Thanks John it is very generous of you. Very much appreciated.
But if it turns out that the new chassis or any other brilliant idea you get increases the cost. I think it would only be fair to pass it on to the buyers.

I remember the first time I heard electrostatics (longer ago then I dare own up to) ESL 57s, a&r a60, lp12 - the best headphones I'd ever heard, and it wasn't just in my head.

Really pleased they're working for you. Especially since you bought them unheard.

Totally agree re. headphones. I can't get my 'illusion of reality' with headphones

I've found vertical angle to be important too

Whilst the imaging sweet spot is comparatively small, I've found the tonal accuracy to work anywhere in the room

I also discovered that the 8200MB's transformers are 230V only and a couple of the units are to be shipped to US / Canada so not even the 8200MB's transformer is used, also the Fully Balanced output stage design requires lower transformer voltages.

Once I've arranged the new chassis and I'm happy with their quality then I'll put the donor 8200MB's on Ebay...

John, I stumbled upon this by accident: https://www.avforums.com/threads/th...is-the-same-as-the-tag-mclaren-250mr.1411129/

It seems that the Audiolab 8200MB amps are excacly the same as the Tag Mclaren 250MR. I guess Audiolab or IAG bought them and reused some of their designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back