advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to hear this,John. It sounds so promising I can hardly wait to possess it.We should have a wonderful spring.:)

The Mdacs with level 2 upgrade does it show a upgrade logo on the screen when it is turned on and when were the last upgrades done. Somebody is selling one with no paper work to show the upgrade was done but said it shows on the logo screen. I am looking at getting on the mdac2 upgrade and I am looking for a reasonable priced mdac and one with the level 2 upgrade already done means its the last instalment production costs only.

Since it's been a hand made production run it's probably very simple for John to confirm the status of the unit if you send him a pm

The Mdacs with level 2 upgrade does it show a upgrade logo on the screen when it is turned on and when were the last upgrades done. Somebody is selling one with no paper work to show the upgrade was done but said it shows on the logo screen. I am looking at getting on the mdac2 upgrade and I am looking for a reasonable priced mdac and one with the level 2 upgrade already done means its the last instalment production costs only.

Mike,

There are not many upgraded MDAC's around - we have serial numbers of each unit if you can forward the details.

Also, there's no display "upgrade logo" when it comes to John's MDAC L1/L2 upgrades. The logo comes from a software/firmware upgrade, which anyone can do on a stock unmodified MDAC and is therefore by no means an indicator of the L1/L2 upgrade.

Also, there's no display "upgrade logo" when it comes to John's MDAC L1/L2 upgrades. The logo comes from a software/firmware upgrade, which anyone can do on a stock unmodified MDAC and is therefore by no means an indicator of the L1/L2 upgrade.

I found it strange it would have an upgrade on the logo and I was immediately alarmed when he said no paper work, no emails. But I thought I would check it out to if he was being genuine but now after asking for a serial number so I can get it confirmed as a upgraded L2 mdac direct by john its gone very quiet.

I think I will go for a second hand mdac to get the ball rolling and then sign up for the mdac 2 once I have secured a mdac.

Thanks for the help, might invest in a new sound card or a network streamer, put all my CD's on that.

Before investing, please note that there's no added benefits increasing the frequency.
Contrary to what many people believes regarding frequency in digital sound, it doesn't bring more resolution, only increases the limit of the high frequencies further into bat and dolphins perception domain.

Some say that increasing the streaming frequency beyond 96KHz can even increase the chance of introducing errors.

Other thing we have to keep in mind is that 192KHz is not a common frequency for studio digital masters. Most studios work with frequencies between 48KHz and 96KHz for their masters.

Just for the sake of curiosity, 96KHz allows audio frequencies up to more than 40KHz. Also for the sake of curiosity, most studios introduce filters to cut anything above 20KHz to avoid other issues. So why do we need to run higher frequencies than the ones used in the first place?

The output audio resolution of a 44.1KHz / 24 bits file is the same as of a 192KHz / 24 bits one. The reason is because sound waves are recreated by an algorythm. If, for a given sound wave, you need "2 dots" for a precise wave, adding 2, 10 or 100 dots more, doesn't change neither the calcs nor the resulting audio wave.

Two links if you care to take a further look into the subject:

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/...io-poll-neil-young-and-high-definition-sound/

Michael

Contrary to what many people believes regarding frequency in digital sound, it doesn't bring more resolution, only increases the limit of the high frequencies further into bat and dolphins perception domain.

You are a brave man, Michael :)

As you might remember, until recently (a couple years back) I too have been a believer that "more digital resolution"="more audio resolution".
It's a common mistake until we learn how it works.

Michael

As you might remember, until recently (a couple years back) I too have been a believer that "more digital resolution"="more audio resolution".
It's a common mistake until we learn how it works.

Indeed. Still have the T-shirt :)

What will be the main point of DSP feature of MDAC? To create your unique filter?

The initial use of the DSP will be for control of the Advanced Clock section (Advanced Analogue domain signal decorrelation). Once we stabilise the initial software releases we will start building upon the functionality of the MDAC2 DSP with features such as simple "gentle" EQ / Tone controls, Advanced digital filters and Room Correction, Dynamic range Compressor (for late night listening), Hafler surround sound decoding, Headphone Crossfeed etc... the possible features can be endless - I see us 3 years later still issuing the latest feature for the MDAC2 by software :)

In performance terms, Sonically L2 and L3 should be identical - MDAC2 L3 has the addition of an ADC converter so you you can digitize an external Analogue source such as a Turntable with Pre-Amplifier, Tuner, Tape Deck etc.

In performance terms, Sonically L2 and L3 should be identical - MDAC2 L3 has the addition of an ADC converter so you you can digitize an external Analogue source such as a Turntable with Pre-Amplifier, Tuner, Tape Deck etc.
John, what is the status of the added hdmi-like connector for the L3? Will it still happen? Or was it replaced by the BNCs, identical with L2?

Just curious. :)
Thanks, Jiri.

Both MDAC2 L2 & L3 will feature the HDMI Type Digital expansion bus, allowing connection to the Linux based Streamer etc.

The initial use of the DSP will be for control of the Advanced Clock section (Advanced Analogue domain signal decorrelation). Once we stabilise the initial software releases we will start building upon the functionality of the MDAC2 DSP with features such as simple "gentle" EQ / Tone controls, Advanced digital filters and Room Correction, Dynamic range Compressor (for late night listening), Hafler surround sound decoding, Headphone Crossfeed etc... the possible features can be endless - I see us 3 years later still issuing the latest feature for the MDAC2 by software :)

John,

Looks like a gift that is going to keep on giving. Combine it with your VFET amp and I am really looking forward to 2015.

Hossein

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back