advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnewbould

Hi John,

A while back you mentioned you were down to the last 3 MDAC1s to upgrade to Toy/Fusion, mine among them.

I realise that you have been busy building the lab and developing the MDAC2, hence I haven't been nagging :)

If you haven't started to work on it, perhaps it would be easier and less effort to defer and wait until MDAC2 boards are available and fit one of those. (I am also on the list and subscribing to the MDAC2).

Martin

Hi John,

A while back you mentioned you were down to the last 3 MDAC1s to upgrade to Toy/Fusion, mine among them.

I realise that you have been busy building the lab and developing the MDAC2, hence I haven't been nagging :)

If you haven't started to work on it, perhaps it would be easier and less effort to defer and wait until MDAC2 boards are available and fit one of those. (I am also on the list and subscribing to the MDAC2).

Martin

Martin,

Just a quick post to say I've seen your post, I'll be back online Saturday, tomorrows the last day I'm needed to work on the lab - I'll be able to think straight once I get some sleep... Please forgive the delay in answering.

Hi John W
Just a quick note to say that I'm up to date with payments but am not on your list of (currently 129) subscribers.
Regards

Hi John, all

known issue to keep an eye on:
taking measurements for a wood cabinet, I just noticed 2 electrolytics 470uf 6,3V on both side next to the middle 7805ct regulator are swollen and some yellowish content have been "sweat out" on top of them, I think I better buy a handfull quality replacement for them all, can you recommend a brand/type or will standard Panasonic M series do?
I have photos but cannot attach to this list
mine are the Premium TOY version

Can you post a picture Pls?

Hi John W
Just a quick note to say that I'm up to date with payments but am not on your list of (currently 129) subscribers.
Regards

busb,

Dont worry, the original Wiki list is not upto date - Renata has the complete list and your details are correct.

Sent to Renata's eMail

Akasha,

I don't believe the residue is from the caps themselves, rather its rework flux residue from production - I noticed similar in the past.

Although the caps are located physically close to each other they are not in the same circuit section so its very unlikely that they could fail together - so my first suspect is unwashed flux...

First try cleaning the caps - If the tops of the caps have bulged then they are indeed bad...

Akasha,

I don't believe the residue is from the caps themselves, rather its rework flux residue from production - I noticed similar in the past.

Although the caps are located physically close to each other they are not in the same circuit section so its very unlikely that they could fail together - so my first suspect is unwashed flux...

First try cleaning the caps - If the tops of the caps have bulged then they are indeed bad...

John

I'm sure one of us would have noticed before, even if they have bulged only, and they are indeed bulged and opened underneath the residue. Sorry for the low quality of the photo

I have not had the cabinet opened for maybe 6 month, the last 3 month it have been playing 24/7, after getting cold the residue have dried and become thinner

I will try to take some better photos

I think my M-Dac is nearly 2 years old and will be out of warranty, so I might open mine up to see if any of the caps have bulged in mine. Wasn't the cause of the bulging caps due to a faulty MOSFET?

Hi, new owner here. Just wanted to know if you can use the MDAC with Balanced headphones, it says connect an amp in the instruction manual. I'm a bit confused, thanks.

If you make a special cable to connect to the XLR outputs, you can.

Do you mean the headphone connectors would need to be a female connection. That's what confused me, both the MDAC and the balanced headphone cable I saw had the same connectors, male I assume.

This is what I had in mind for my Grado HF-2's, from Headphile.com. Can you get the benefits of balanced headphones through the standard front connector - is that what that second cable there does, connect to the main cable?

The Grado cable is so short - like I'm going to use them on an ipod, it's twisted at the Y section and so annoying. I have AKG 712's and love my new MDAC but the Grados just sit in a box because of the rotten cable. Be nice to use them more often.

Thanks

Hi UV.

To use balanced headphones with a standard Mdac you need to connect to the rear XLR connections and be female plugs.
If you used those Grado's with the y cable in the front panel it would be a 'standard' configuration, so a waste a of time if you think that would be balanced.

Here's a link for connection details - http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

Second diagram down, but as said, female plugs like this - http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/image...-female-xlr-plug-36013032-0-1386670913000.jpg

You can get your headphones re-terminated to suit.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back