advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bubble bath for my MDAC :p

Thank very much, John!

Modifications? Oh dear.. :D

I used to love dumping the PCBs in the arklone bath when I was in the industry, I suspect I will die a horrible death and the ozone layer will cease to exist, but arklone really did clean up the boards well.

Hi John

I am still very much enjoying my MDAC fusion upgrade and definitely won't be scrapping this for an MDAC2 upgrade, so I'm thinking about going the salvage route. I found this post 420 (May) with some cost details. Could you break down the costs of the L2 or L3 option MDAC2 for me including silver salvaged unit + rough idea of fusion resistors?

Thanks

Spoke to a local dealer who said the Mdac is still flying off the shelves ... I wonder how qDac is doing in comparison ?

Don't suppose your contact has refurb 8200mb cases :D?

Don't suppose your contact has refurb 8200mb cases :D?

I'm I being bugged or what? I'm putting the pieces into place for a very special and extremely limited run of custom build power amps based on the MB's chassis - but there are no "Salvaged units" available so I'll be "scrapping" new MB's...

I cannot say much about the project, but its based on the TDAC's unique Tube front circuit and the Famous Sony VFETs' using in Class A :) I've secured enough VFETS (and it seems the very last pairs) to build 7 pairs of Amps, the first 2 pairs of amps are spoken for (The owner and "instigator" of the project has the first pair Serial #1 & #2 :) - and I'm FOR sure keeping a pair for my reference system :) )....

I've secured the High Gain Tubes (the TDAC uses lower gain variant) - the MB's and by far the most important the very last 15 pairs of Sony VFETS!!!

However the MDAC2 comes first...!

Spoke to a local dealer who said the Mdac is still flying off the shelves ... I wonder how qDac is doing in comparison ?

I don't hear much about the QDAC - I don't understand who would buy a QDAC when you can have the full MDAC for so little extra... and not to mention you can upgrade the MDAC to MDAC2 later...

I'm I being bugged or what? I'm putting the pieces into place for a very special and extremely limited run of custom build power amps based on the MB's chassis - but there are no "Salvaged units" available so I'll be "scrapping" new MB's...

I cannot say much about the project, but its based on the TDAC's unique Tube front circuit and the Famous Sony VFETs' using in Class A :) I've secured enough VFETS (and it seems the very last pairs) to build 7 pairs of Amps, the first 2 pairs of amps are spoken for (The owner and "instigator" of the project has the first pair Serial #1 & #2 :) - and I'm FOR sure keeping a pair for my reference system :) )....

I've secured the High Gain Tubes (the TDAC uses lower gain variant) - the MB's and by far the most important the very last 15 pairs of Sony VFETS!!!

However the MDAC2 comes first...!

John,

I'd like to reserve one of those amp pairs :cool:

Michael

If PhilCTTE brings his L3 Fusion to compare with my L3 Toy we will have two exactly level-matched DACs.

If someone else would like to bring an unmodified MDAC we will have three exactly level-matched DACs.

ItemAudio had offered to lend us a DAC at the £5K GBP mark which leaves us with the most difficult task of all:

Sourcing a £30 jobbie without actually buying one!

I suspect that after hearing Phil's Fusioned MDAC I will become a little more impatient to get my hands on an MDAC2.

On another subject, I may be getting into streaming after all. Word from the sources I respect suggest that this may be as good as a competent CD player used as a transport...

http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/x30.shtml

We will see....

Will MDAC2 have XLR digital output?

Steve,

Yes - that would be brilliant - the first opportunity to independently listen to a standard MDAC, MDAC (Toy) and MDAC Fusion!

I wish I could be there! hopefully someone will come forward with a standard MDAC?

Steve has a very decent system so it will be a very interesting session!

John,

I'd like to reserve one of those amp pairs :cool:

Michael

Michael,

They will be expensive as its very limited run / Custom design! and the cost of the very last batch of VFETS pairs and the MB donor units!...

The project "Instigator" :) uses a pair of Ncores which are considered to be the very best of ClassD - so the design is up against stiff competition ;) , that said Triode input stage, VFET ClassA Output stage - Current dumped its going to be a stunning design :)

If PhilCTTE brings his L3 Fusion to compare with my L3 Toy we will have two exactly level-matched DACs.

If someone else would like to bring an unmodified MDAC we will have three exactly level-matched DACs.

Steve,

Yes - that would be brilliant - the first opportunity to independently listen to a standard MDAC, MDAC (Toy) and MDAC Fusion!

I wish I could be there! hopefully someone will come forward with a standard MDAC?

Steve has a very decent system so it will be a very interesting session!

Whereabouts are you Steve?
Assuming the logistics work out I'd like to volunteer my standard mdac
And I could bring my nCores :)

Great stuff. Thanks for this. There was a moment of worry but all allayed now. Will wait to hear from Renata. :)

acquiescer,

If you pay the GBP300 installment then Renata will have your contact details and Email you the PayPal invoice for the salvaged unit.

On another subject, I may be getting into streaming after all. Word from the sources I respect suggest that this may be as good as a competent CD player used as a transport...

http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/x30.shtml

We will see....
Looks like a very neat all in one solution with a dac, digital inputs and even amps built in. It could be a very good way of dipping your toe in the water, especially if you were thinking of setting up a second system. But it might be a bit of waste just as transport

Theirs no space on the rear panel - and I don't see the advantage - what will the balanced digital output feed? the MDAC2's the point of audio conversion...

I'm guessing Steven might have meant a Digital input to be fed with the streamer's Xlr digital output.

Theirs no space on the rear panel - and I don't see the advantage - what will the balanced digital output feed? the MDAC2's the point of audio conversion...

Look at the rear panel of the Cocktail Audio X30 (link above.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back