advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
I would also be interested in the Vfet amps if they are suitable for my speakers which is
Dali Epicon 8

Now I bi-amp and bi-wire with 4 x nCore

Rune,

Would you be planning to Bi-amp or just Bi-Wire (1 pair or 2 pairs of Amps?)

No problem to drive your speakers, with the current dumping they will be "little" power houses :)

The nCores make a very worthy opponent (apparently as, I've never heard the nCores in my own system) - however I suspect that they will be very different amplifiers – my experiences of UCD, and nCore units at shows is that they don’t offer a “Holographic” soundstage you get from Tube amplifiers... Certainly they will be very different technology!

The best of ClassD verse the “best” of analogue :)

Graham,

Thank you for your interest in the MDAC2 project.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I got engrossed in the design of the MDAC2's Analogue section PSU - thankfully it was a construction weekend... finally!

Yes, if you pay the first GBP300 installment, then I'll ask Renata to send you a PayPal invoice for the salvaged unit - please indicate in the PayPal payment message wither you want a Silver or Black salvaged unit.

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I will do that. I would also like it to be the "no compromise" version if that makes sense ie the best you can make with the best all singing dancing components, toy, fusion etc. dies that make sense?

Graham

Hmm .. are there two pairs available? :D

I'll never return from the dark side if this continues.

I just had this reply from the Gentleman in Singapore who holds the stock of the Critical VFET's:-

Dear John,

I have made a mistake, i am not aware that the inventory stock that i have set in the webstore is zero. Initially there is a potential customer looking to buy all the stocks for his project but the deal didn't went through. I think i should still have a few hundred pairs, it used to be a thousand. Exact quantity i would need to do a stock take.

May i know what quantity are you looking for?

So, if there's firm down payments, I'll order more devices (while stock last).

I have 15 pairs, but need to reserve devices for any future "service repairs".

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I will do that. I would also like it to be the "no compromise" version if that makes sense ie the best you can make with the best all singing dancing components, toy, fusion etc. dies that make sense?

Graham

Graham,

Ok :) (Thank you) - I'm sure there will be other tweaks asides from the top Fusion version if you really wanted - with Audio its almost endless... I'm sure I'll have a head full of "solutions" once I've had a chance to play and listen to the first boards :)

I want my purchase to be one of the last out the door... So I get a chance to see what all the upgrade options that you come up with via tweaking before it is built/ships... Really dont mind waiting as the MDAC Soverign DC+ really sounds sublime into my new amps (Monoblock NC400's fitted into the speakers) :D

I want my purchase to be one of the last out the door... So I get a chance to see what all the upgrade options that you come up with via tweaking before it is built/ships... Really dont mind waiting as the MDAC Soverign DC+ really sounds sublime into my new amps (Monoblock NC400's fitted into the speakers) :D

:) I hear you :)

problems,
:)

I don't recall any, only improvements.

But with all audio reproduction it is always a compromise, as I can testify, having stood 'on stage' with 2 jazz/blues bands last weekend.

Listening to the sound of drum skins, cymbals, double bass strings, alto saxophone et al. Pre-amplification. :cool:

Rune,

Would you be planning to Bi-amp or just Bi-Wire (1 pair or 2 pairs of Amps?)

No problem to drive your speakers, with the current dumping they will be "little" power houses :)

The nCores make a very worthy opponent (apparently as, I've never heard the nCores in my own system) - however I suspect that they will be very different amplifiers – my experiences of UCD, and nCore units at shows is that they don’t offer a “Holographic” soundstage you get from Tube amplifiers... Certainly they will be very different technology!

The best of ClassD verse the “best” of analogue :)

I am only using two pairs of ncores because the max current for one ncores is 24A, so by bi-amp and bi-wire i get 24A for the low freq and 24A for the high.

The specification of the speakers it:
Frequency Range (+/-3 dB) [Hz] 35 - 30,000
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB] 89
Nominal Impedance [?] 5
Maximum SPL [dB] 112
Recommended Amplifier Power [W] 50 - 500
Crossover Frequency [Hz] 550 / 3,100 / 15,000
High Frequency Drivers 1 x 10 x 55 mm Ribbon
1 x 29 mm Soft Textile Dome
Midrange Driver 1 x 6½" Wood Fibre Cone
Low Frequency Driver 2 x 8" Wood Fibre Cone

I guess if the Vfet amps has more current then I would only need one pair. Not sure if there would be any point in Bi-wire with only one pair.

Would there be any point in using ncores for lower freq and analogue for mid and high?

I would love to compare the best of two worlds :cool:

I'd not Mix and match amplifier types, I'd worry about the phase relationship between amps.

I've found Bi-Wire to be beneficial - well at least it has an effect on the SQ - for better or worst depends upon the systems balance in the first instance.

The Amps dumper section, I'll most likely parallel 6 output devices so there will be masses of Peak current.

The Vfet guy also emailed me last night saying they have stock on hand. should I purchase two pair or leave it to you?

Please add me to the reserve list as I mentioned yesterday. When your estimated price is available then PM me and I will make the reservation payment or bow out to the next in line.

My current amp is Decware Mystery, kt66 40w. Definitely getting that 'holographic' soundstage.

Vfet amp?? Can I jump on the list please, to confirm once details and pricing are available.
(I could go caseless, as they would be built into my speaker stands)

Thanks,
Sam

John, I'm in for a pair of VFET Amps, provided that it's ok to send upfront payment on 16th of August.

John, Thanks for the PM. I am in as well.

I assume these will work well being driven directly from the XLR of the MDAC2? :)

Cheers,

Aaron
stellablues

Hi John,

could you PM me estimated price for a pair of amps please?
I'm really tempted to jump on, specification looks impressive :)

Cheers,
Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back