advertisement

MC stages inspired to the Phono Cube of 47 Laboratory

pierre

pfm Member
Hello Dears

the Phono Cube of 47 Laboratory has received very good comments all around. I see there are two main DIY alternatives: RJM audio phonoclone and the Phono Stage by Audiosector (Peter Daniel).

I got the RJM audio phonoclone and I think it sounds great... although I could only compare it with my previous MM stage with different cart... not a real comparison. It's not totally optimized because I haven't played with output caps and other parts' selection.

I've read on this forum old threads about these two DIY kits. After some years what do you think about it? Any suggestion for improving them? Did anybody experimented with both kits?

I have to decide if to invest more on the RJM or trying with the Audiosector version. I'd love to hear your listening experiences?

There are many more phonostages of this type (current amplification):

Sutherland Audio
BMC
47 Labs Arare
Dynavector
Lounge Audio
Aqvox
CEC,

to name a few. I think there are quite a few more. Recommend researching a bit more to see which appeals.

I used the RJM Phonoclone and I felt it was an improvement over my Linn Lingo. I had I recall added somewhat boutique output caps and the RJM B buffer. I eventually changed to a Manley Chinook, which was again a step up but I could have happily lived with the Phonoclone. I doubt that any sub $2000 phono amp will better the Phonoclone.

advertisement

Back